Maasdam May 19 - Halifax and Bar Harbor

Gunters Oma

First…I forgot to mention that yesterday was the Mariner Society Reception…probably because it wasn't very memorable. Not having been to one before I'm not sure what I excepted. We walked in - chose a drink (wine, champagne or water) and sat down. The Hotel Manager on the Invitation was Douglas Hernandez. He was there, but the Hotel Manager doing the presentation was Fermin Van Walle. He spoke briefly and then they recognized the pin groups by asking them to stand and the medallion groups by having them come forward and placing the medallions on them. I did note that almost half the names called were not there. The only individual (as opposed to groups) were the people with 1000+ days. That was about it! The best part was our tiles were waiting for us when we got back to our cabin…the ones with the Statute of Liberty! Cool!

Knowing the Halifax arrival time was delayed, we slept in. Wake up call at 6:45 - coffee and croissants arrived about 5 minutes later. Out to the veranda to see the sea…not much land in sight!

Back to cabin to check the Captain's Log:

Winds: SW Force 4 (moderate breeze) temp 39.7 degrees

Distance from Montreal: 1195.3 Distance to Halifax: 64.9 Speed 17 kts.

DH shares his sailor's knowledge…we are at least 3 hours from Halifax! We decide on another leisurely breakfast in the dining room. DH enjoys the eggs Benedict! We joined a family of 5 and had the best conversation. A very nice way to spend an hour or so. Both DH and I agree that the people on this cruise are exceptionally friendly and we have laughed a lot! Many, many fun conversations.

Plus I will take the opportunity to say the people in the ports we visited have been super, too! All in all it is the people we have met and the crew that have made this trip so memorable.

The ship's first line is ashore at 11:57AM. This is our second visit to Halifax. We were here two years ago on the Enchantment of the Sea, so we knew what a top-notch city was before us.

During our first visit…we sailed on a tall ship (a highly recommended adventure) plus we visited the Maritime Museum and the Acadia (also great).

This time we wanted to see the Citadel. We left the ship and started up the "sloping" side of the city as opposed to walking around the boardwalk and climbing the "steep" side.

We were most fortunate to arrive at Citadel as the guard was changing. This is a splendid place…so full of history and men in kilts! Drummer E, our guide showed us all the nooks, crannies and shared great stories. A big surprise to me… the fort was not built to defend the harbor…it was to defend the west - the flat land. Another fact - the two flag poles…one is commercial - telling what commercial ships are in port and the other military - used to send signals to the other defenses. Plus there were lots of men in kilts!

We explored more on our own, observed a man firing a musket, bagpipers/drummers and stopped for hot chocolate. Did I mention the all the men in kilts?

Time flies and we must leave 1876 and head into 2007. Down the hill (so much easier) we head to the harborwalk ambling our way back to the Maasdam. Enjoying the view and the ambience.

Such a wondrous place. All of Nova Scotia is not only beautiful, but populated with warm and friendly folks!

Time for our casual/formal dinner. Surprising over half the folks at our seating were dressed very formal. Woo hoo! Lobster, Beef Wellington and the Baked Alaska parade. I love a parade - just don't care much for Baked Alaska…so I asked Danu --- why no chocolate dessert? Danu looked quite puzzled and replied "Because it is the Chocolate and Dessert Extravaganza tonight." Hmmm - now it was my turn to be puzzled. No where…not on the updated activities by the elevator…not on the Daily Program…no where was there an indication tonight was Chocolate Night? What an oversight! I thought the International Food Festival (with all its chocolate glory) replaced Chocolate Night?

The word from the bridge is that the engine problem still exists and we will be late arriving in Bar Harbor.

Show lounge time! Mike Robinson (and his mannequin-American) were very entertaining! The entire audience appeared to enjoy him. We were constantly laughing. He is an incredible ventriloquist…did some absolutely amazing "tricks." Another Daily Program note...no where does it tell you that Mike Robinson is a ventriloquist - just that he is a "headline performer, not to be missed."

We decided to relax for a few minutes in the Explorer's Lounge. The Champagne Strings were talented - particularly the violinist! He was, however, a bit of diva! Often scowling at the waiter if he walked in front of him to serve a passenger. The Strings were scheduled to play until 10:15; then they were to go to the Chocolate Fest.

Well…there is a small area connected to, but just behind, the Explorer's Lounge. In the area was a group of folks laughing and talking - apparently a little to loud for our wannabe-maestro - because after finishing the song he turned on his heel, picked up his case, put the violin in it and marched out. The piano player and bassist just sat there looking stunned; then they, too, got up and left. The waiter returned and looked around; he looked quite surprised. This was the rudest action we saw by a crewmember on the cruise! All of us regulars in the Lounge were shocked and agreed this was unacceptable behavior toward the passengers, but unkind to the waiter as well.

Up to the Chocolate Fest to snap a few pictures and sample of few desserts…not to mention several trips to the chocolate fountain. Delicious!

But not even a sugar-high could keep us awake! Back at the cabin, we were soon fast asleep.

BAR HARBOR

Coffee and wake up at 5:45. We check the Captain's Log on the TV.

Winds: SW Force 6 (strong breeze) Temp 52 degrees Seas: Moderate 4-7.5ft

Miles from Montreal - 1453.7 To Bar Harbor 66.9 Ship's speed: 16.3 kts

Realizing we have several hours before reaching Bar Harbor we climb back into that oh-so comfy bed and continue our sleep! Awakening again around 8:00AM, we dressed and head to the Lido for breakfast; then up to the Sky Deck to watch the world go by.

We did the disembarkation talk and crew farewell which was postponed from yesterday. The beginning of saying goodbye. <sigh>

According to the Cruise Log, we dropped anchor at 10:39. We went down to our cabin to get our passports and immigration form. We decided to wait in the cabin --- and wait, wait, wait. The CD reported several times that the immigration people were not here yet. Finally the immigration people are in place and starting to process people.

Okay - having written about this nightmare in another thread - I truly do not want to go through it again. Here is the short version: it was a long, disorganized, chaotic time. Our tender leaves the ship at 1:50PM and we actually set foot in Bar Harbor at 2:00PM. The last tender back was scheduled for 5:30. Not much time! And there were many folks still onboard.

Serendipity. As you exit the restaurant/landing building - on the right front corner - is Ollie's Trolleys! They have an hour tour and a 2 1/2 hour tour -- It is 2:05PM, but the 2:00PM one-hour tour has not left; they hold it for six of us.

This tour basically runs to the top of Cadillac Mountain. Santos, our driver/guide was fun…not only did he offer history, info about the flora and fauna…but some local gossip - who sold to whom and why; the lives of the rich and famous!

He stopped at several scenic areas and allowed us off the trolley to take a few photos! We spent about twenty minutes at the peak --- awesome! What spectacular views!

(When we were here two years ago - we took the ship's tour - which ran the whole loop and we saw Thunder Hole, etc. That particular day was very foggy - so even though we went to the top - there was no view. I did get some cool photos of swirling fog. Later that afternoon, we took the Ocean Trail Walk. The fog had lifted somewhat and we could see much more…but we were not at the peak!)

Having accomplished the first of our two main goals in Bar Harbor - on the way down the mountain we asked Santos to recommend a restaurant for lobster rolls, our second goal. Guides are not allowed to recommend restaurant or stores. However…they can answer the question: "Where do you eat when you want a good lobster roll?" he he he

He recommended the Lobster Claw on West St. He explained "most locals do not like the lobster salad type…they prefer their lobster rolls plain with butter drizzled on it." Who knew? The Lobster Claw provides fresh (not frozen) lobster meat - plain, with mayo or with melted butter. Double delicious!

We did not have time on this trip…but last time we walked on the sandbar during low tide. That was unique! We also took the opportunity to stroll the Boardwalk around the mansions on our earlier trip. It was most unfortunate our stop was so short! Bar Harbor is terrific offering much to see and do.

We tendered back to the ship a few minutes early; not wanting to be in the crunch of folks who took advantage of every last minute of the short time we had. The cruise log indicates we didn't raise anchor until 6:04PM!

Our last dinner - time to say goodbye to Danu and Suparta. Do I hate this part? Yes, so sad…saying farewell to the people who helped make the memories.:(

Off to the lounge for a double delight…both Elliott Maxx and Barnaby are performing! This definitely takes your mind off the farewells!!! Laughter IS the best medicine. (Daily Program offers this blurb Variety Showtime! Elliot Maxx and Barnaby "Tonight we bring back two of your favorite acts. Clap your hands along to the Music of Neil Diamond. Laugh with Barnaby.) :confused:

Back to the cabin to wrestle with the clothes…they don't want to get back in the bags in a neat, orderly fashion. We are almost done - but enough is enough. We head up to the Lido for a late night treat…and a cigarette for DH.

All the "main acts" were sitting by Lido bar talking amongst themselves. Do you know how difficult it was to not annoy them…I so wanted to get Gunter and my camera…but I did not. Mostly because DH dragged me into the Lido…quietly saying, "Now, now, not every moment is meant to be a Kodak moment. Have some chocolate." Okay - there are very few things that cannot be soothed with chocolate.

Back to the room to finish packing and turn in.

Archived