Snorkel Vests

lindalo5032

We are taking the Native Way Ray Reef & Rum Point tour. We will have our 3 grandkids with us. I know the water at the Sting Ray location and Rum Point is shallow. But my concern is the Reef location, where it is deeper and you snorkel off the boat.

Do snorkel vests keep you afloat? Have any of you let your young kids snorkel with just a snorkel vest to keep them afloat? I'm talking ages 5, 8 & 9. Plus I wouldn't want to go off the boat myself unless I knew for sure the vest would hold me up. :eek:

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi...

Can't help you with your specific smorkeling location, but as a former scuba instructor, I can give you a litte help with the vest question. A lot depends on the experience level of the kids. How good of swimmers are they? Are they comfortable in the water? I can tell you that with my two boys, I kept them in life jackets until they were about 10. the only reason not to use a life jacket is if you plan to skin dive to the bottom. If you are just going to swim at the surface, then I would use the greatest amount of protection so that you will have the greatest amount of confidence. It will help everyone relax and have a good time.

Hope this helps!! :)

What's the difference between a life vest and a snorkel vest?

Glad you asked!!

A Life Vest has permanent flotation built in i.e. life jacket. A snorkel vest is inflatable. Only floats you when you want it to..:o

Hi...

Can't help you with your specific smorkeling location, but as a former scuba instructor, I can give you a litte help with the vest question. A lot depends on the experience level of the kids. How good of swimmers are they? Are they comfortable in the water? I can tell you that with my two boys, I kept them in life jackets until they were about 10. the only reason not to use a life jacket is if you plan to skin dive to the bottom. If you are just going to swim at the surface, then I would use the greatest amount of protection so that you will have the greatest amount of confidence. It will help everyone relax and have a good time.

Hope this helps!! :)

Thanks so much!! I will definitely keep them in life jackets! Don't want to worry about them!

With grandchildren that young, life vests are definitely the better choice. Better protection and fool proof.

For you, a flotation vest is ideal -- you can increase or decrease the amount of bouancy by inflating or deflating it (which is why you wouldn't want to rely on it for a child). It will very definitely "keep you up." In fact, with the added bouancy of salt water, you may not even need to inflate it very much to feel supported.

I recommend them for every adult, if for no other reason than the added peace of mind it give you to know you can rest effectively if you get tired.

I hope you and your very lucky grandchildren have a wonderful time, including safe and worry-free snorkeling!

Archived