Saint John by car

My family and I will be arriving in Saint John on July 7th via the Carnival Victory.

I have reserved a car from Avis for the day, as it will be less expensive than a cab or even the bus, and have a lower impact on my parents.

The only places I have planed are the reversing falls, and Wal-Mart (for Cadbury, OTC, and other items not easily available in the US).

We need to be back to the ship between 1:00 and 1:30 (2-2:30 local). While my father takes his meds in comfort and privacy, the rest of us will have lunch.

The falls should take about a half hour, and Wal-Mart about a hour. Can anyone offer some suggestions for filling in the rest of the day by car?

Thank You

My family and I will be arriving in Saint John on July 7th via the Carnival Victory.

I have reserved a car from Avis for the day, as it will be less expensive than a cab or even the bus, and have a lower impact on my parents.

The only places I have planed are the reversing falls, and Wal-Mart (for Cadbury, OTC, and other items not easily available in the US).

We need to be back to the ship between 1:00 and 1:30 (2-2:30 local). While my father takes his meds in comfort and privacy, the rest of us will have lunch.

The falls should take about a half hour, and Wal-Mart about a hour. Can anyone offer some suggestions for filling in the rest of the day by car?

Thank You

Drive to the top of Fort Howe overlooking the harbour.

Drive around the neighborhood by the ship - one of oldest part of Canada.

Take a drive to St. Martin's fishing village (Wal-Mart roughly on the way)

Take a scenic drive up the St. John River.

Carlton Martello Tower if you are interested in History. (same neighborhood as Reversing Falls)

If I think of more I'll post.

Andrew

Thank You Andrew. I think we will follow this course:

Avis>Reversing Falls>Carlton Martello Tower>Wal-Mart>St. Martin's>Fort Howe>Reversing Falls (if tide table is correct)>port.

After lunch we will most likely walk around the port area.

Now I'll break out the mapping software for directions and time distance.

If you can think of anything else or other routing, we have unlimited km's!!

Thanks again

Thank You Andrew. I think we will follow this course:

Avis>Reversing Falls>Carlton Martello Tower>Wal-Mart>St. Martin's>Fort Howe>Reversing Falls (if tide table is correct)>port.

After lunch we will most likely walk around the port area.

Now I'll break out the mapping software for directions and time distance.

If you can think of anything else or other routing, we have unlimited km's!!

Thanks again

This may leave you crunched for time as St. Martin's is 35 miles (1 hour)from Reversing Falls. My suggestion would be go to Wal-Mart straight away, then continue to St. Martin's as there are some neat things to see. Then I would visit Reversing Falls on the way back to the ship. I suppose you could explore the old district after you drop the car off - its a 20 block area beside the ship where Avis is - I would recommend atleast the City Market. Maybe the best advice is to look at what St. Martin's has to offer to see if it is of interest to you http://www.stmartinscanada.com/ they have an attractions link.

Mapquest will give the quickest route, but not always the best (doesn't know what roads are slow) so if you want you can print this off to help you:

--------------

Avis to Wal-Mart and St. Martin's

Avis is located by a set of lights - not sure which side of the street your car will be parked, but anyhow you want to:

- heading away from the ship go through set of lights straight (aquatic centre on right)

- proceed through another set of lights then make an immediate right and turn right again at the bottom of the ramp onto Station St.

- go straight (Harbour Station Complex will be on left) on Station St. through another set of lights - this is now City Rd.

- you will pass a pedestrian set of lights then come up to another set of lights - at this intersection go straight keeping in the right hand lane.

- you approach another set of lights at the fork in the road but you keep going straight veering to the right (Liquidation World is on right)

- Keep going straight through another 2 intersections - this is Loch Lomand Rd.

- On the right you'll pass the largest oil refinery in Canada (Irving) - once you pass this there will be a modern looking church on the left hand side - you want to make the next left past the church (there are no lights)

- Once you turn left go atraight - there is a bend in road but keep going - there will be a set of lights - go through it and that is parking for Wal-Mart. It's about 10-15 minutes from Avis to Wal-Mart.

- Once you leave Wal-Mart, retrace your steps back to Loch Lomand Rd. where I said to turn left after the church. Once you are there - turn Left - then follow your nose for about 35 minutes along Route 111 - it will take you right to St. Martins.

To Get to Reversing Falls

- retrace your steps along Loch Lomand Rd and where you came from before right to Station St. (with Harbour Station Complex on your right this time)

- at Harbour Station turn left at set of lights

- go up the loop onto the bridge - continue over the bridge getting into the middle lane.

- Go through 3 sets of lights (one just blinks yellow) this is Main St. - once you are through the third set of lights make a left onto Douglas Ave. Go down Douglas Ave to the end, turn right, go over bridge and turn left into Reversing Falls parking lot. Along the way on Douglas Ave there is an alternative viewing area called Fallsview Park which is clearly mared by a sign.

To get back to Avis - retrace your steps to that bridge but don't turn off bridge and it will take you right to Avis's door.

On the way back if you go to Ft Howe - when you get to the end of Douglas Ave. - turn right onto Main St. then left at lights - then turn right immediately again beside McDonald's - go 10 seconds - then you'll see on the left a little rampy type road going up hill (on left) - you go up that then turn right up onto Ft Howe - when on top of hill turn right again to go to highest spot.

Thanks Acey for those directions. We will be renting a car from Avis and heading straight to St. Martins. I get lost easily anyway. These step by step turns will save me much grief.

Great - once you are on Loch Lomand Rd. driving by the refinery just keep going straight - no turnoffs. Its route 111

• 3 weeks later...

Acey,

I should have asked this earlier. We are in the same situation as the original poster. And I am starting to have serious concerns about having enough time to get from St. John to St. Martin and back in 4 hours.

Although our cruise ship arrives at 8:00 AM, I realistically don't expect us to have our rental car and be on our way until 9:00AM. And we need to be returning the car by 1:30 PM. Can this be done and have a chance to see the caves?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

You need an hour to go to St. Martin's and an hour back - so that leaves you 2.5 hours to see the caves (provided it is low-tide plus or minus 1-2 hours) the morning of your arrival - you didn't mention date so I'm not sure). 2.5 hours is enough time for St. Martin's, however you have to ask yourself is it worth the 2 hour drive and car rental expense to have 2.5 hours in St. Martins's. The area is nice and quaint, but I wouldn't say its a "must see, don't miss" kind of area. Given the short time you have, perhaps a more relaxing day would be to see the many sites located right off the ship and in the nearby area. If you do go to St. Martin's, you need to be clear before hand how to get there because our streets are more willy nilly then cookie cutter once you leave the downtown, and getting lost will eat your time fast. At the very minimum I would find out whether you can even see the caves by checking the tide schedule. http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=54&screen=434 you want to aim for low-tide or 1-2 hours prior of after

Here is an interactive map showing things to do around the dock area. You need to click "next" on the left hand margin to see all the available sites on the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&hl=en&q=saint+john+nb&num=10&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105253623019299207143.00000113254967b07b7f8&ll=45.270779,-66.067014&spn=0.012836,0.028925&z=15&om=1

Acey, Is the speed limit that low, or is the route all side roads? The distance itself dosn't seem that far.

The way to Saint Martin's is over two lane, twisty country roads and you cannot make very good time. There aren't that many opportunities to pass cars in front of you. That is why it takes almost an hour to get there.

It is possible to take the four lane (No 1) east as far as Rothesay and then take the airport arterial to the airport, but then you are still stuck with the two lane road for most of the trip...... No way around it.

Leaving the city ranges from 50 KM/h to 70 KM/h (approx.30-45 mph) and then once out in the country you can go 80KM/h (50mph) - or you can speed - but watch out for the RCMP :eek:

Archived