Packing for 2.5 year old boy?

Jotul

So, I'm struggling with what to pack for my son. With no laundry facilities on board, I want to make sure I have enough clothes for him, but he doesn't have 7 pairs of non-jean pants for dinner. And he usually goes through 2 shirts a day (at least) at home, so should I really pack 15 or so shirts, 7 shorts and 7 pants? :eek: That doesn't even take into consideration bathing suits, underwears, socks and dress clothes! What about shoes? He loves crocs and kind of likes his fisherman sandals. Can he get away with them in the dining room? Or should I go out and get dressy shoes, even though he'll only wear them on the cruise? I thought DD7 was going to the difficult one, but she's much easier, besides the fact that she wants to bring 7 or 8 pairs of shoes, sandals and flip-flops. :rolleyes:

We found that "less is more" with our last cruise. My son mainly wore things like flip flops, shorts and t-shirts. We did not take them to the dininsg room at night- we found it a lot easier to feed them in the buffet or roomservice, then DH and I would have a nice relaxing dinner just the two of us!

We also found that we spendt a lot of time together at the pool or beach, so we did not use all that we packed- we were gone from home for a bout 2.5 weeks. We also found our pre-stay at Disney we went through a lot more clothes than on the ship.

They do have laundy on most ships- I sent ours out, and was not happy with how they came back. I am really picky about laundry- that was the only negitive.

They do have laundy on most ships- I sent ours out, and was not happy with how they came back. I am really picky about laundry- that was the only negitive.

I think we do have laundry service, but I probably wouldn't send DS' clothes out, since his skin is so sensitive - he breaks out in a rash a the slightest irritant.

Since we have early seating, I expect the kids to eat with us, then go to the clubs or babysitting (if available) for the eight to ten o'clock time period. So, dinner clothes will be necessary for him, unfortunately. :p

Remember that you'll probably by him some new tshirts in the port so that means you can reduce the amount of shirts you pack. Also he might spend quite a bit of time at the pool (assuming he's potty trained) so that will be a swimsuit that he can wear vs. a pair of shorts. Can he do double duty on the pants for dinner, take 2 or 3 pairs and wear them twice?

At dinner, my 20 month old daughter wore her crocs every night but formal night when she had on her nicer sandles.

Yep, he's potty-trained. Didn't think about the shorts/bathing suit thing. He could probably do double duty on the pants -- I just have to remember to pack the Tide to go stick. Good to know about the crocs - they are the best shoes for his XXW feet.

Dude, what's your problem? You keep following me around the boards and talking about that post. DS is potty trained. He had a few accidents and I vented. I've since followed up saying he hasn't had an accident. And he never had a "floater" accident. Give it a rest.

I had a tide stain stick and shout travel wipes with me. I used them both frequently. I also had a small bottle of dish soap to wash my DD cups and the travel mug I bought on board. If something got stained I would stain stick it and then wash it with the dish soap. I didn't want the stains sitting in the clothes the entire time we were gone. By doing this I was also able to use the outfits again if need be.

I know what you mean about investing in a cruise wardrobe.

What I have done is buy my son seven pairs of long khaki pants that he has been wearing to school for the past few months. I also bought seven polo shirts and he has been wearing those too. He looks really nice at school and can use these on our trip- so I didn't feel that I was buying clothes exclusively for cruising.

Your son is younger but I am sure that you will get wear out of these purchases- I got my son's clothes at target and they look just fine.

For a three year old- on casual nights they aren't going to say a thing about shorts on toddlers- don't sweat it. On formal night- long pants and a cute button down shirt will be fine. Sandals will be fine. People don't care how the kids are dressed- as long as they are well behaved.

As for packing- I agree that you will need a playshirt and a dinner shirt for each day. Play pants and dinner pants for each day. Undies you can wash out and dry but socks take LOOONG to dry. Depending on time of year- socks may not be an issue.

The good news is that kids clothes actually don't take up that much space in the suitcase. When I travel- I use an entire suitcase and half of my son's- for my stuff!

I just got back from the TRIUMPH (5/26) with my DS2 (27 months). I took so many clothes b/c he's usually messy. Lo and behold, not one drop of food on him. I only took two khaki pants, dress shoes and two nicer long-sleeved button-down shirts for formal night (yep, he ate w/us -- no Camp Carnival for him, he didn't care of it). I did bring about 4-5 shorts, 6 t's and two swimsuits, one pair of sneakers, sandals and water shoes. PERFECT!

I don't know if he'll sit still at dinner, but we also brought small toys for him to entertain himself at the dinner table (small magnadoodle, color wonder kits, small travel Thomas playset, etc.). He was for the most part good, but a 2 YO can only do so much sitting around.

Enjoy and don't sweat the clothes. Many nights he wore shorts to dinner. People don't care what he wears as long as he's good! :D

Archived