Slightly Delayed Conquest Review 5-20-07

bakercds

OK, I see there have been a couple of reviews already so I'll try not to go over the same things too much!

This was the first cruise for DH and me and we had a fabulous, wonderful, incredible time. He spent last year in Baghdad and this was our welcome home/anniversary/getting to know each other again cruise! We'd been looking forward to it since September and I was out of my mind with anticipation.

We left the kids with the grandparents and headed for Galveston early Saturday morning. The drive from Kansas was great and only about 9 hours (DH drives fast!). We got to Galveston and checked into our hotel. We stayed at the Howard Johnson, not luxury, but inexpensive and free cruise parking.

We awoke early Sunday and couldn't wait to get going. Our cab came and dropped us at the terminal about 9:45 (did I mention we were anxious:D ). We sat in the chairs and waited and when it was time to line up the Carnival employee made sure we were second in line, since we were the second people in the terminal. We waited for two wedding groups to get through security and then we were on our way. We had both the paper docs and e-docs but the employees seemed to prefer the e-docs. Turn page 5 over and write down the name, address, and phone number of an emergency contact, that will save you a bit of time. We picked up our S&S cards (from the lady at window 17 since it was our 17th anniversary!), and waited in the chairs. About noon we were finally on our way onto the ship (after the obligatory picture). I was pleasantly surprised to find that once we stepped on the ship they took a quick pic for our S&S cards and we were free to go, I was afraid there would be more lines and waiting! Overall, embarkation was quick and painless and we were so excited to be there.

We went straight up on deck and grabbed foo-foo drinks. Thanks to our friends on Cruise Critic, we knew they weren't free, but we did see some confused people!

We had an extended aft balcony on the upper deck. Our room wasn't ready when we went down, about 1:30, but we talked to our steward and left our carry-ons in the closet. I changed into my 'Cruise Uniform' (bikini, shorts, shirt, hat and sunglasses) and we set out to explore the ship.

It was so beautiful, the weather was great and the ship was gleaming. We headed straight for Sur Mer and had the best fish and chips I've ever had in my life! We ate them almost every day they were just so good!

Ok, muster was boring, but quick and it had to be done, after that we retired to our aft balcony to watch Galveston disappear into the distance!

Finally, our bags started arriving. I couldn't wait to unpack and get all the luggage out of sight so we could really enjoy our stateroom. All the luggage was there by about 5:30 (including booze, yeah, we smuggled;)).

I was really interested to meet our tablemates after the stories I've read on here, but they were lovely people. We were sitting with a married couple and their married daughter with her husband, and their son and his girlfriend, all of whom had recently graduated from LSU. I was a little afraid that we they wouldn't want us there since they were such a close family, but they were great.

Our waiter and his assistant were incredibly sweet and attentive. They really did their best to make sure we had a fabulous dinner. We never waited for water refills and our courses came very quickly.

This was also the evening that DH surprised me with pearls! A necklace and earrings for our anniversary. I have no idea how he hid them since we packed together, but it was a great surprise!

OK, this is getting really long so I'm going to cut it off and continue in a new post.

If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to try to answer them:)

Days 2 & 3

After spending our first blissful night listening to the sound of the ocean with our balcony door held open by a bungee cord (thanks to cruise critic), we awoke early, refreshed and very excited. We had a quick breakfast at the buffet. We were the first ones there, so no line-cutting or cold food problems! I highly recommend eating on the upper level of the buffet dining room, it's quiet and easy to get a table by the window. Then we mixed some drinks and headed for the aft deck. I also recommend taking an insulated cup (Wal-Mart 52 oz. Bubba Keg for about 8 bucks), they keep things cold forever! We found some chairs on deck 10 overlooking the aft pool and settled in for some people watching. It was windy, so be careful about spending too much time in the sun. It's easy to burn when it doesn't feel hot:eek: ! We also tried the Kiss on the Lips drink and it was fabulous!!

After a bit of sun we got really familiar with the ship by wandering around. I know some people have said that it's difficult to get around on the Conquest but we didn't have any trouble. Well, I should say that DH didn't have any trouble, I get lost in department stores!

We got ready for our first formal night and headed for the Captain's party. It was packed and the ship was rocking a bit, so we walked around on deck until dinner. Formal night was great. Did we see jeans? Yes, but that didn't ruin our evening! Ok, let me just say that I had never tried lobster and I was very excited about lobster night. DH says these were rock lobsters which aren't as good as Maine lobsters. Mine was smaller than the others, so maybe it was overcooked, but I definitely didn't like it! That's fine though, dinner was still awesome. Now I know what all the fuss is about the chocolate melting cake, WOW!!

Tuesday was a lot like Monday, mix a drink, lay on deck, enjoy balcony (naked;) ), nap, get ready for dinner. After dinner we wanted to do a little dancing in one of the clubs but the Team activity seemed to be some sort of pub crawl/rugby match without a ball, so we went back to our room for some private time.

Next up - Jamaica!

The terminal in Jamaica feels a little like a demilitarized zone, but I would rather have more security than less. DH was even offered 'smoke' in the terminal bathroom!

We booked the canopy tour and it was fabulous. We were taken on an air-conditioned bus into the jungle. Some of the people on the bus were a little shaken by the crazy driving but we've traveled a lot of different places and it wasn't bad at all. A cab ride through Paris is waaayyyyy more scary! We signed our release, got geared up, and headed for the zip lines. The day was beautiful and sunny until we finished the first zip. Then, the skies opened up and we had rain, thunder and lightning, PERFECT!!! We loved being 200 feet up, on a wooden platform with no rail, attached to a huge tree in the middle of a thunderstorm (we're a little adventurous:D )! The guides were friendly,professional, knowledgeable and very safety concious, I felt completely safe the entire time, even with the storm.

The only drawback to this excursion was the ride back. We were soaked and pretty cold. The driver stopped at a t-shirt shop that was closed until he pulled up an honked. It wouldn't have been that bad except for the two couples who spent about 45 minutes shopping while the rest of us froze on the bus.

Back to the terminal, a line to get on the ship, and then a hot shower and dry clothes, and pizza! Just a word of warning, keep your own S&S card on you. There was a girl in line to get on the ship in front of us wearing only a bikini, no shoes or anything. When she got to the front she told security that her friends had her card and she didn't know if they were on the ship or not. I'm not even sure how she got to the terminal!

Thursday - Grand Cayman

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!! (Dh talking now) Caymans could'nt be better, the tenders were awesome. We got to the theatre early like we were supposed to, because we had an early exscursion to snorkle. The lines were sort of long at the terminal, but once we got under way we had a blast. We walked about a quarter mile to the dive shop, and after a short briefing we got into the water and followed our tour guide out to the reef to begin oursnorkling adventure. We bought some underwater cams at Wal-Mart, (soooo much cheaper). As soon as we stuck our heads underwater the ocean came alive to our senses. We are not the picture taking type, but we ran through the first cam in about 15 minutes. There was sooooo much to see and shoot. We felt like we were part of the Coustou foundation! The only issue I had was the kids flailing around cutting off everyone who tried to swim in a logical manner, (Nothing like getting kicked in the face by a ten year old whom you cannot smack in the back of the head for having no manners, and parents who were nowhere to be found).

OK, I've taken back the reigns of the computer from DH! The snorkeling was awesome and lasted a couple of hours. I had heard of Eden Rock on this site and I asked our guide about it. It was a short walk back to the terminal and about a couple of blocks on the other side was Eden Rock. We rented fins and a locker and hopped back in the water. The fish were immediately all around us and we were in heaven. We swam around for a couple of hours and we even found treasure!! We both looked down about the same time and found four one-dollar bills and a rusty nickle, our own pirate booty!! If you're looking to snorkel in Grand Cayman, save the excursion money and just head for Eden Rock! Take a right outside the terminal and head for the building that says Paradise, you can rent there, or the Eden Rock dive shop is a little further down.

After the snorkeling we shopped a bit and then caught a tender back to the ship. As soon as the tender left the dock a woman near us told her friend that she had another friends S&S card and he wouldn't be able to get back. PLEASE keep your own S&S card with you at all times!! She had to get back to the Conquest and then turn around and tender back again!

Our waiter had told us that this would be the best night in the dining room and we were not disappointed! The Greek farmer salad was fabulous. DH's pork chop was the best he had ever eaten and my beef wellington was out of this world!! This was also the night we saw hats in the dining room. One was on a teenager whose parents should have taught him better (he was at a table with them) and the others were on grown men who should have known better. I know, it's their vacation too, but it's also a matter of manners and respect. It didn't bother us, it just amazes us what some people consider appropriate!

Next up - Cozumel (we saved the best for last!)

Thanks for sharing your cruise! You've made me smile several times already, and I couldn't help but "Aww...." when he gave you the pearls.

This forum is great for living vicariously through other peoples' cruises as we patiently (or impatiently) wait for our own. (In my case, November 3rd can't get here fast enough. :rolleyes: Waiting for that B2B....)

Waiting to read the rest of your review. Best wishes for lots of continued happiness together!

First and foremost, a big welcome home to your hubby! Congratulations on coming back to his loved ones. I have a son in the Marines so I know the feeling. Glad you enjoyed your first cruise and hope you have many more.

Linda

Sounds great! We'll be on the Conquest again in July. The last time we sailed the Conquest was 2005 and they didn't have a mini golf course then, but neither did the Triumph. The Triumph has one now. Does the Conquest have a mini golf course, yet?

---Bruce

We booked the canopy tour and it was fabulous. We were taken on an air-conditioned bus into the jungle. Some of the people on the bus were a little shaken by the crazy driving but we've traveled a lot of different places and it wasn't bad at all. A cab ride through Paris is waaayyyyy more scary! We signed our release, got geared up, and headed for the zip lines. The day was beautiful and sunny until we finished the first zip. Then, the skies opened up and we had rain, thunder and lightning, PERFECT!!! We loved being 200 feet up, on a wooden platform with no rail, attached to a huge tree in the middle of a thunderstorm (we're a little adventurous:D )! The guides were friendly,professional, knowledgeable and very safety concious, I felt completely safe the entire time, even with the storm.

The only drawback to this excursion was the ride back. We were soaked and pretty cold. The driver stopped at a t-shirt shop that was closed until he pulled up an honked. It wouldn't have been that bad except for the two couples who spent about 45 minutes shopping while the rest of us froze on the bus.

Did you book this excursion ahead of time or did you book it on the ship? How many others were on this excursion with you? And finally how long was the bus ride? We are seriously considering doing this excursion in August.

Sounds great! We'll be on the Conquest again in July. The last time we sailed the Conquest was 2005 and they didn't have a mini golf course then, but neither did the Triumph. The Triumph has one now. Does the Conquest have a mini golf course, yet?

I think it's only the Fantasy class ships that have mini golf......

Did you book this excursion ahead of time or did you book it on the ship? How many others were on this excursion with you? And finally how long was the bus ride? We are seriously considering doing this excursion in August.

I see you reading the same one's I am... ! Love this review..We leave Aug 5th and I am jumping out of my skin waiting.! Keep em coming...!

When Pam sailed on the Triumph in 2005 they didn't have mini golf at that time. The next year we sailed the Triumph together and they had added one on the starboard side of the deck just below the entrance to the slide. The ping pong table is still on the port side of that deck (I think it's the 11th deck). Since it was recently added, I thought maybe they were adding them to other ships as well. I'd like to hear from someone who recently cruised the Conquest for whether or not they've done that.

---Bruce

Sorry to hi-jack.. but our group sailed the Conquest a couple of years ago and we did the canopy tour in Mobay..It was incredible! We booked it online ahead of time. There were about 3 groups of 6. The bus ride is about an hour, I think, but I am sure the OP can answer for sure. I would highly recommend this excursion for Mobay because you don't have to worry about the "bad" part of Jamaica. You get on the bus right at the pier. It is very safe.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, this is my first review and I didn't realize how long it was going to be! I almost didn't write a review but I'm glad I did, it's fun reliving the whole thing!!

Let me take a sec to answer a few questions.

Isp - Thanks, we're pretty happy that he's home too, he was gone for a year, home for six months, and then gone for another year. But I think he's home for good this time!

Bruce&Pam - nope, no mini-golf yet

GayleR - We booked the canopy tour ahead of time through Carnival. I think the drive was about 40 minutes, not long enough to get bored, the scenery was interesting and beautiful. There were about 20 or so in the whole group. When we got to the site we broke up into two groups, so about 10, with two guides.

Kcarp - Hey, I remember seeing you up there!:D

So, it's off to Cozumel! We booked the Mini-Jeep Outlander through Carnival. It's run by Sunshine tours. Do yourself a favor and sign up, it was incredible! We left from the mall that's right at the dock and got in some safari-type open air trucks. Those took us out of town (about 20 minutes) and dropped us off at our mini-jeeps. These were two-seater Yamaha Rhinos (one person has to provide a valid driver's license). After some instructions we were speeding down a frontage road at about 35 mph with no windshield! It was awesome!! We arrived at Punta Sur National Park and entered heaven. The beaches were absolutely perfect. If you don't do the tour I would see if there was a way to get out there and just spend the day at the the park. Our first stop was a mayan ruin. Our guide Miguel explained that it was the only Mayan ruin ever found that was used to predict the weather. Then it was across the street to see the saltwater crocodiles. Our second guide, David, fed them raw chicken while he told us all about them.

Then, it was back in the mini-jeeps and down the road to the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. Fine white sand, hammocks, perfect blue water. Some people chose to stay on the beach but we couldn't wait to snorkel again. Our third guide, Jorge, got us ready and we headed into the water. We snorkeled about 1/4 mile down the reef and at the end we were rewarded with a sea turtle sighting! I'm just like a little kid with this stuff and I've been watching nature documentaries all my life. I've always taken my kids to the zoo and talked about animals with them (when my daughter was in first grade she was asked to name opposites and she said, "Vertebrate and invertebrate"). So, this was a very big deal for me. This turtle was so close to us we could have touched him (Of course we didn't, that would be bad). After they made us get out of the water it was back in the jeeps and down the road to the lighthouse. We got a cold drink, snack and potty break and took some great pictures (I'll try to figure out how to post some).

When we got back to town we still had some time to shop and we found some fabulous dishes. We made a quick stop at the duty free and headed back onto the ship. We went up on deck to watch the drunk people rush down the dock.

Saturday - Happy Anniversary!

We had the best time this day. It rained a bit in the morning and then cleared up. I really wanted to spend the whole day on deck getting sun and people watching and that's just what we did. This was the only day that we sat overlooking the main pool and we watched the Battle of the Sexes. We had checked our S&S balance that morning and it looked a little low, so I proceeded to pad it with foo-foo drinks;) ! 1 dirty banana, 2 dirty bananas, 3 dirty bananas, ok, at least 6 dirty bananas! They really are yummy!

We made reservations for the point for Saturday as soon as we got on board (thanks, again, to what I've read on this board). So we headed back to the cabin and got all prettied-up. Dinner was elegant and peaceful and delicious, oh, and huge! The portions were huge and I could barely touch my dessert.

We then had the sad task of going back to the room and packing up all of our stuff :( . That was really hard. We did manage to get all of our stuff outside the door by midnight and then it was bedtime. Self-assist was not an option for us, we had A LOT of stuff.

Sunday we woke up, got ready and started waiting for our floor to be called. It took a little while, they kept announcing that there was a delay with customs. Once they called us we got off quickly and then began searching for our luggage, which wasn't there:eek: . DH looked everywhere and finally asked an employee if this was all the luggage and she immediately knew who we were. For some reason the printed luggage tags (from the e-docs) had confused someone and our luggage had come off with the priority stuff. It was over there, all piled up for us:D . A quick cab ride back to the hotel and we were on the road back to Kansas.

I know this has been really long, and I appreciate you guys reading the whole thing but there are a couple of things I would like to wrap up with.

1. The crew was fabulous, caring, happy, respectful and attentive.

2. The towels animals were so precious and I loved everyone of them.

3. We loved getting up every morning and looking at the dinner menu on the TV. Sometimes I still turn on the TV and look for dinner! I miss it

4. All of our excursions were fabulous and all of our guides were great.

5. The few small children we saw were precious and well behaved.

6. I can't say the same for the 18-20 year olds, but they weren't too bad.

7. We did spend a fair amount of time in our room, maybe because of the great balcony (I think we've spoiled ourselves).

My husband and I have traveled a lot, separately and together. We've experienced all different parts of the country and many foreign lands. We try to be respectful tourists. We also know that we will have a great time together no matter what the circumstances. So, for us, this was the best vacation so far and we would love to do it again. I want to sincerely thank everyone at cruisecritic for the great tips. I know that our vacation went much smoother because of all the information I got from you guys and I appreciate all of it!!

Thanks for everything and happy cruising!

PS - Does anyone know of any great Washington DC sites? I'm planning our next family vacation!

Thanks Rvalent2, I'm not sure the name of the beach but it's in the Punta Sur National Park. We're going back to Cozumel next year on the Glory and we're going to try to rent a vehicle and drive down there and spend the day at the park. You'll really love it!

Bakercds,

Thanks for the review. My husband and I have cruised on the Conquest 3 times. We have had a great time each time, also. I'm glad your husband is home safe and sound. May you have many more wonderful cruises!!

browneyes7:o

Thanks for the great review. My brother left for Iraq again last tuesday. He has been there on & off since the beginning. Could you tell me which cabin you had and if you could hear alot of noise from the deck below while in your cabin? Thanks-Tamara

Tamara - we were in cabin 6456. We could hear music from the Degas lounch beneath us sometimes but we never noticed it late at night and it wasn't very loud. I think the bar in there closes about 12 or 12:30. I didn't notice any engine noise at all. In fact, we liked it so much we're going to book the same cabin on the Glory!:D

bakercds,

Do you remember what you paid for the mini-jeep tour in Cozumel? I would be very interested in doing this trip, but want to plan out my money (I will be paying for 4 people). The Carnival website shows between 50-99 dollars, but that's a big spread, especially when you mulitply by 4 :). Thanks for the help.

Archived