Where can I buy good snorkel equipment?

We're getting ready to go on our 3rd cruise and fell in love with snorkeling on our first. We've used rented equipment, but now want to buy our own. Our problem is we live in WV, an land locked state. We will be leaving out of Miami and were thinking of going a day early to buy what we need. Can we find a shop and make arrangements on line ahead of time? Or will we need to just go in cold and hope for the best? Any suggestions?

If you crack open your West Virginia phone book, I betcha a quarter that you'll find at least one scuba shop near you. Look under "diving or dive"...

That way you can buy your stuff at home without having to be in a hurry or cut into your vacation time. You might spend a little more money in a dive shop for snorkeling gear than you would if you purchased it online or in a big box sporting goods store, but you'll get better service and end up with stuff you'll be happy with forever.

If you want to wait until you get to Florida, there are a zillion great shops around. I used to work for Force E... which has three locations a little ways north of Miami. They'll help you out.

If you crack open your West Virginia phone book, I betcha a quarter that you'll find at least one scuba shop near you. Look under "diving or dive"...

That way you can buy your stuff at home without having to be in a hurry or cut into your vacation time. You might spend a little more money in a dive shop for snorkeling gear than you would if you purchased it online or in a big box sporting goods store, but you'll get better service and end up with stuff you'll be happy with forever.

If you want to wait until you get to Florida, there are a zillion great shops around. I used to work for Force E... which has three locations a little ways north of Miami. They'll help you out.

WOW!!! Force E....I used to work for them in Pompano Bch when they were called Nautilus Dive Surf & Ski... I imagine Skip & Julie still own the place??? How long ago did you work there?

Thanks

WOW!!! Force E....I used to work for them in Pompano Bch when they were called Nautilus Dive Surf & Ski... I imagine Skip & Julie still own the place??? How long ago did you work there?

Thanks

TNT...

I worked at their Boca shop back in the early 90's. I was their off-site resort instructor at the Boca Raton Resort and Club. I used to sit out by the Tower Pool in a little scuba hut made out of the tuna tower from a fishing boat and sell resort courses to conventioneers all day... and mostly nap a lot! :) It was the best dang job I ever had! :p For the life of me I can't remember the owner's names. My boss was a little itsy bitsy Cajun guy. I'd have to go back through old log books to see what his name was. I'm getting OLD and senile... sometimes I forget my kids' names too! :eek:

OP... Sorry for the highjack!

We found some nice snorkle sets at Sport Chalet. I bet you could even order online.

Realent...

The only problem with ordering stuff online is that if you've never tried it on in person... particularly masks... you might end up with something that doesn't fit you well and leaks. If you're going to order online, you might want to try in the store first.

Archived