"Wi-Fi" Wireless Internet on Radiance

In my cruise book, it said that there is "Wi-Fi Wireless Internet" on Radiance, but that you can check email, surf, etc. through your own provider. How does that work? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

The wifi access is available at several "hotspots" on the ship (e.g. the internet cafe) and is billed at the same rates as the access on their PCs. You first set up an account/login on one of their PCs, then you can log in from your laptop. Once you are connected you can use the internet on your laptop as if you were connected at home, at a cafe, etc, except much slower :). You would use your own email program/server/site etc. Rates are 50 cents a minute or as low as about .35 a minute if you buy in larger blocks.

One advantage to using your own laptop instead of their PCs is that you can "compose" your messages before going online, then just send and receive, as opposed to sitting there and burning up time while you write a letter to mom.

Availability and speed will vary based on the ship's position and how many people are using it - sometimes it will be unavailable altogether, and sometimes painfully slow. Try to use it when the internet cafe is not full.

Thanks for the info. As expensive as it is, it may be better to just leave the ole' laptop at home and forget it all for 2 weeks. But, thanks for the information.:)

Thanks for the info. As expensive as it is, it may be better to just leave the ole' laptop at home and forget it all for 2 weeks. But, thanks for the information.:)

It's expensive but remember you can also pop into an Internet cafe in port for cheap access. I took advantage of that (3-5 euros an hour) and really didn't run up many charges on the ship. When on the ship, I got pretty adept and getting everything set up so I could just do a quick "fire off and grab" and get offline again. Honestly, for email having my own machine wasn't strictly necessary, but I also used it to offload and look at my pictures (I took over 5 gigs worth in 12 days).

Archived