Which port tender in Hawaii?

NORMAN8

I feel really bad I took the rocks. I didn't know and I didn't mean to disrespect the Hawaiians. For some reason, I felt I was in another world , the sight, the smell...like they were moon rocks. Since then, I don't take anything from the vacations I go. Just photos.

I feel really bad I took the rocks. I didn't know and I didn't mean to disrespect the Hawaiians. For some reason, I felt I was in another world , the sight, the smell...like they were moon rocks. Since then, I don't take anything from the vacations I go. Just photos.

Of course you didn't mean any disrespect. Don't fret about that. Lava is beautiful and a reminder of the power of the earth. Besides, now that you know, you're making an effort to return it. That counts.

Like you, photos are what we take when we visit anywhere. (They're much lighter and smaller than "stuff" anyway.)

beachchick

Please don't take rocks or anything from our islands. It is not good for your karma or our aina (land).

Cheap kine souvenirs at Long's (across from docks at Maui) and Wal-Mart. Long's is more Hawaii style.

Laura

Maui

Hey don't forget the "ABC Stores" in Hawaii....they are on every corner like Walgreen's are here on the mainland!

Funny story about the rocks. I was on a tour on Lanai and we went to Garden of the Gods and saw all the rocks piled on top of each other. We asked our guide about that and he told us that the Desk Clerks at the hotels tell visitors that it is considered an ancient Hawaiian good luck ritual to stack the rocks and make a wish. There are hundreds of these "rock stacks" all over the place. Our guide said that it was just a story that the locals made up to play pranks on the visitors. I got a good laugh out of it.....and then quietly kicked over the rock stack that I had just made.....lol:D

Beachchick, you are an amazing wealth of information1! I must admit that my head is spinning!!! I have a Kona question. We are on the 7/16 POH. My husband, myself, our 13 yo 2 adult daughters and a 2 yo granddaughter. We originally thought about doing the Kona Beach balst through the ship, but now we are wondering if we would be better off renting a car and doing it on our own. (A Bay and ???????) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

Archived