Mayan Ruins?

ddintex

I am seeing a lot about snorkling and beaches, but I am not really finding much on the Mayan Ruins. Is that not one of the big things to do in Cozymel? Does anyone have suggestions for a trip involving the ruins? I am traveling with husband, 10 year old daughter and 9 year old son. The kids are not too thrilled with the idea of the ruins, but my husband wants to check them out. The kids are more about the active stuff and water activities. Any suggestions on excursions that might allow for a little of both or a good excursion company that I might look at?

Click Here for a link to the Carnival tour list for Cozumel.

There are 3 ruins excursions. 2 go to a small ruin on the island and include snorkeling. Both run about 4-5 hours.

The third is to Tulum. It's 7 hours including a ferry ride to the mainland (45 minutes each way) and a bus ride to the ruins (1 hour each way).

Charlie

Do you know of other options besides the Carnival options? They are a little longer than what I was hoping for. Would like to go to the beach also while we are there.

Check with cozumelinsider.com Sherri can custom design you a tour that fits your needs... :)

I am seeing a lot about snorkling and beaches, but I am not really finding much on the Mayan Ruins. Is that not one of the big things to do in Cozymel? Does anyone have suggestions for a trip involving the ruins? I am traveling with husband, 10 year old daughter and 9 year old son. The kids are not too thrilled with the idea of the ruins, but my husband wants to check them out. The kids are more about the active stuff and water activities. Any suggestions on excursions that might allow for a little of both or a good excursion company that I might look at?

I have an option for you. There is a new attraction in Cozumel. It’s called Discover Mexico. It isn't a "Ruin" but you get to discover Mexico! They have smaller scale ruins that your family can enjoy and still have enought time to go to a beach and relax. Here is some more info in case you are interested. :)

When you first enter you will go into a movie theater and you will watch a movie. The movie will show you several places of Mexico, with mariachi music, in the movie you will see colonial cities as Zacatecas, Quereteraro, Guanajuato, see Mexicans in their places of origin, views of the lake of Xochimilco, of zones that are archeological, you will see Traditional Mexico. You will seating in nice chairs w/AC. This video is done by the Tourism dept in Mexico, so it’s well done.

As soon as the movie is over you will enter a museum of Mexican popular art, where you can see and the guides will explain to you how they are done and where they are made. After that you enter another section where you see a small scales of ruins such as Chichen Itza, Stockade, Uxmal, etc. there are churches and colonial buildings, like the Church of Cholula, etc.

After your done looking around they have a souvenir store, in case you would like to purchase some items. They have souvenir’s that are brought from all around Mexico.

You can view all of this between 1-2 hours. Entrance fee is $16.00.

Hopefully this makes sense. I'm typing all of this at work!:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Cozumel is not a major site for Mayan Ruins, as it was only a sanctuary for the Goddess of Fertility Ixel. San Gervasio is a wonderful mayan site, however it is quite far and expensive to get to (40 min taxi ride). However, if you want to get an excelent combination of both things, some culture and some water activities, you should definitely combine a visit to Discover Mexico and Chankanaab Parks. Discover Mexico Park is the closest thing to an Epcot Center Pavillion on Mexico; there you will be exposed to the Mexican Culture and you will be able to expereince Mexico's most important archaeological sites through different media. There, you can stay around 1:30 hours. From there, you can take a 5 min taxi ride to Chankanaab National Park, Cozumel's natural landmark. There you and your children will have the most wonderful time as the Park has a wide variety of venues (dolphins, snorkel, beach, botanical garden, natural lagoon, children's playground, etc.) This would be the ideal choice if you want to make the most out of your Mexico and Cozumel experience, and not spend to much money and time in a car.

Enjoy...;)

Even on a seven-day cruise I feel I have seen enough beaches or laid out on a deck or verandah often enough, and I am ready for something VERY different when we dock. I have not been to San Gervasio, and I would go there myself the next time I get to Cozumel. But there is no question that it is in the middle of the island, up a couple of good roads, and NOT on a beach; and it MIGHT interest you enough that you MIGHT not notice the time slipping away. And like me you MIGHT get addicted to Mayan antiquities, which can prove an expensive addiction if, like me, you live far away from the nearest of them.

If, to take an idea from W.S. Gilbert, you are a lady (or gentleman) who "doesn't think she dances, but would rather like to try," visit your local public library and look at books with some photographs of Mayan ruins in them--or for that matter, the August 2007 issue of National Geographic, which has some of the most splendidulous photographs of a few Mayan sites ever taken by man or beast, undoubtedly never to be repeated on such a scale (never mind the text, as it is the usual hokum). If you don't like 'em, don't go to San Gervasio--but if you do, here's your chance! :cool:

Discover Mexico - Chankanaab is your best choice. No doubt. 90 minutes of mexican culture while having fun, and then your kids can have fun at the Chankanaab Park, where they can choose what to do, there are a lot of options once there! They have a great price for this combo on board.

Good luck!

Archived