Sucks to be 20

ponja

Well does it? First I thought I could drink with a waiver from parents but now it seems I can't. Going Liberty Western caribbean in june.

So I'm 20 I can enjoy everything possible in Sweden but on this cruise I'll get a juicefountain in the nightclubs and there's a teen club up to 17 year olds I can't join. Awesome I'll go sulk in a corner with the other 2-3 20 year olds.

I still have some hopes for the cruise but damn... :(

Sorry, but that's correct. However, the drinking age on the islands is 18. I'm sure you can find something fun to do on the ship that doesn't involve drinking....or maybe with your attitude, NOT? :rolleyes:

Well does it? First I thought I could drink with a waiver from parents but now it seems I can't. Going Liberty Western caribbean in june.

So I'm 20 I can enjoy everything possible in Sweden but on this cruise I'll get a juicefountain in the nightclubs and there's a teen club up to 17 year olds I can't join. Awesome I'll go sulk in a corner with the other 2-3 20 year olds.

I still have some hopes for the cruise but damn... :(

Don't rush it. Before you know it, years will be flying by. Take the time to enjoy life and realize that you do not need alcohol to have fun. Yes RCI changed their rules concerning underage drinking on board their fleet but they had a good reason. As stated above, many of the ports of call have lower drinking ages. Have a few drinks there if you must.

Hey...whats the deal with you?! Your going on a great ship and you are lucky to be even going on a cruise! There are people in this world that can't even think about going on a cruise and there you are....acting all stupid and selfish just because you can't drink on the cruise.....I have a suggestion for you.....GET OVER YOURSELF AND GROW UP! :mad:

Man, I'd do anything to be 20 again, but I got a marriage older that the OP...a lot older.

There are other things to do in life besides drink and plenty of ways to have fun that don't inlcude alcohol. I'd just focus on being on a cruise, having new experiences and stop concentrating on one very small aspect of life.

Charlie

Yeah it's gonna be okay of course it's just that I thought I was going to be able to and now I realise I won't so it's a bit of a let down. But yeah ports sounds good, I might be way to used to drinking so relaxing won't be too troublesome, especially on a huge luxury cruise ship.

All cried out now =)

Man, I'd do anything to be 20 again, but I got a marriage older that the OP...a lot older.

There are other things to do in life besides drink and plenty of ways to have fun that don't inlcude alcohol. I'd just focus on being on a cruise, having new experiences and stop concentrating on one very small aspect of life.

Charlie

I know but that doesn't change the fact that you will all be drinking right in my face as well at dinners and when I'm at the club/pubs. Yeah it's nothing serious but still a bit annoying =)

In Mexico...........in some places...........if you are tall enough to see over the bar..............they'll serve you a drink.............

That sounds like serbia :) good fun in some countries

It sucks to be 20????? Man,that just ticks me off. I would love to be 20 again. So you can't drink on the ship....so what. What's so special about being able to hold a beer in your hand and getting smashed out of your head and making an ass out of yourself in public? Oh...not to mention the headache, puking, and the runs the next day. Yeah....it's tough to not be able to experience that.

40....that's what sucks. :rolleyes:

Don"t worry Ponja, my son was nineteen (almost twenty) on our cruise in April. We hopefully will be going again in December and he will be twenty then too. In Canada the legal drinking age is either 18 or 19 depending where you live. It really didn't bother him at all. We bought him a couple of beers. You will have a great time anyway.

Hey, it does suck and sorry. I am older now and no longer drink but I understand your feelings.

And for the rest of you, there is a not so old saying that applies......"Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young." I think a lot of you have forgotten. How about on your next cruises that you all give up drinking and see how this young man feels. Oh for god sake, you would not even think about that.

good luck and try to have fun

John

Well madjohn, I don't drink so it wouldn't bother me one iota to give it up. To post a "sucks to be 20" and expect sympathy is beyond me. I only wish at 20 I had discovered cruising, I could have seen and done so much more.

Hey, it does suck and sorry. I am older now and no longer drink but I understand your feelings.

And for the rest of you, there is a not so old saying that applies......"Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young." I think a lot of you have forgotten. How about on your next cruises that you all give up drinking and see how this young man feels. Oh for god sake, you would not even think about that.

good luck and try to have fun

John

yeah John, tell him to TRY to have fun without drinking, maybe in a couple of years he will be in a Friends of Bill W. meeting instead of worrying about how he is going to get his next drink...good advice.

I remember being 20 years old, newly married and not even old enough to buy my new husband beer when he returned from 3 months out at sea in the navy! Sometimes it does suck to be 20, so I feel for the OP.

However, I now have two kids in that age range and they have also been on cruises when they are too old for the teen club and not old enough for the "adult" activites. Don't worry, you will have plenty to do and find others in the same situation. Go in with a positive attitude and you will have a wonderful time. If you leave on this trip convinced you won't have any fun at all, that is exactly what will happen.

And, if you're ticked now.........wait till you go to buy yourself a soda card and they make you pay adult price instead of the kid price (which really is what you should be charged if you are not old enough to drink). We had that one on our last cruise. Son's gf was 19 and couldn't drink - no problem. Bought a soda card instead - pay adult price. Asked Carnival about it. They said 18 and up pay adult price period. :confused: Not a huge price difference, but it was the principal of it that puzzled me.

Its not about drinking. It is about fitting in. You sit at the table and someone orders a bottle of wine and the waiter says "how many glasses" and someone will say 'oh not him, he's not 21 yet". how would that make you feel. The 20 year old should sit around the table pointing our all the things "old" people cant do. Oh but if he did that it would be rude of the young man.

Some people just dont get it, and they are usually old.:)

You can still have fun without drinking, but I will say that when I was on a cruise for my high school graduation I drank the entire cruise. I couldn't buy it with my sail and sign, but my mom could buy 2 at a time and give one to me. I also drank at the return cruisers cocktail party with no problems.

It sucks to be 20????? Man,that just ticks me off. I would love to be 20 again. So you can't drink on the ship....so what. What's so special about being able to hold a beer in your hand and getting smashed out of your head and making an ass out of yourself in public? Oh...not to mention the headache, puking, and the runs the next day. Yeah....it's tough to not be able to experience that.

40....that's what sucks. :rolleyes:

AT-00161.jpg

Archived