Questions for families?

We are sailing on NCL Star on June23rd to Alaska with 28 other family members. We are staying in a room with myself, husband and two (possibly all three) of my children. The ages are 4, 6 and 9. Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations, anything on packing, things to do, etc....???? We are new to cruising and don't ever travel! Thanks!!

You are choosing a great trip for your family. Our family took the Star to Alaska 3 years ago and we still talk about it and would love to go back. If you click on my username and go back and look at some of my posts, you can read some about our family's experience. Your kids are all at the perfect age for the Kids Crew on board ship. My then 6 year old LOVED it.

As far as excursions, you'll want to do family friendly. Especially great was the whale watching we did with Captain Larry in Juneau. We also enjoyed the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan. Another excursion I'm sure kids would love is dogsledding/mushing however it was way over our budget.

As far as packing, it will be crowded in one room but you will manage I know. I about freaked out when I found that our two youngest had smuggled about 8 stuffed animals in their suitcases! I only found this out after the first day on board and the room steward had taken great pains to arrange them cutely in their room! It was a hoot to come in everyday and see how he had placed them!

Anyway, we found it very helpful to hang shoe bags over the bathroom doors to place all of the toiletries, etc... Also, a couple of wind suits per child will come in handy depending on the weather to help repel water.

Can't think of anything else right now....I hope you have a wonderful time!

I like Norwegian and my kids do too. We have done 4 Norwegian cruises and the cabins are quite small. On the last one (the Spirit) we booked connecting balcony staterooms- and I highly recommend this for you and your three kids. You have to book connecting rooms with kids on Norwegian and most lines. And it makes sense with kids this age. Anyway, you will then have two bathrooms, two large closets for clothing, two tvs. Believe me cabins get claustrophobic with wet swimsuits and all the belongings. You'll be happy if you do this instead of a suite.

Happy Cruising- you will undoubtedly get hooked!

We are not fans of NCL. My dd did not like the kids program at all - she's been on about 10 cruises. However, my friends dd (5) loved it and that was their first cruise.

My dd's complaints - closed more than open, nothing creative, same things daily, everything required parental supervision (making pizza, water balloon toss, etc).

Good luck.

I have not saile on the Star but I have looked at the reviews and the things available for kids. I have two- so these things interest me.

NCL Star looks to have a great pool with water slides. If the kids program on Spirit was very good and there was a huge videoarcade. I doubt your kids would be bored on this ship.

Plus, you are going to Alaska- the destination alone will make the trip worthwhile.

Make sure you bring an over the door shoe rack. They hold all your small things that you have no room for. It kept our bathroom neater and our small counter spaces neater.

I totally agree! We brought one with mesh compartments for easy viewing and it worked out great for uncluttering the bathroom. I bought mine at Walmart for about $10. Well worth every penny!

I did alaska last August on Celbrity Mercury with my 2 kids, and it was great. As already posted, the lumberjack show is great for the family. Celebrity offered a modified dogsled excursion that was 1/4 the price of the real thing. 'We went to a training camp for the dogs, and the sled was actually on wheels, and the dogs ran the wheeled sled thru a one mile path in the forest.....no snow needed! It seems this is the way the dogs are given excercise during the summer months. Keep a lookout for this trip, it is well worth the money, and much cheaper than the real dogsled trip on snow. Also, there was some time to cuddle the dogs and puppies and take photos with them.

Archived