Bay Area to Long Beach--what's better?

travelgrammy

Again, more good ideas! Thanks all! To all those who suggested driving down the morning of, DH drives for a living and isn't interested in starting his vacation with that kind of drive. A leisurely drive the day before, with plenty of time to stop when we want, that's fine with him. But the other is too much like his job! Tina, thank you for reminding us we don't have to take 5! Driving down 101 would be lovely! Oh yeah, and taking the train to San Diego is gorgeous! My sister lived in Poway about 10 years ago and sometimes the kids and I would take Amtrak down rather than fly. I LOVED it! If it wasn't that we know the Coast Starlight has major late problems in the winter months, we'd take the train down in January. I know there's an Amtrak bus that connects with Long Beach.

Anne

Anne - not matter how you get there - I hope you have a VERY awesome cruise!!

We'll be taking Carnival Paradise late January, leaving from the SF Bay area. We have three choices:

1. drive down the day before.

2. fly down the day before.

3. fly down early morning day of the cruise.

We're trying to weigh the pros and cons of each choice. Which is better and why?

Thanks!

Anne

On both of our first two cruise we sailed out of Long Beach and we drove both times from Stockton. We did leave both times the day before. I like to save as much money as I can and will drive when ever possible. But I do think it is much easier which ever way you decided to travel, to leave the day before. Less hassle having to worry about missing the boat.

Archived