need to find native heritage hospital museum for souvenirs

travelcrazy006

i remember a post that spoke of where to find reasonably priced alaskan made souvenirs and goods. if anyone knows of the thread or knows of info regarding this place of business, please help me out. i can't seem to find it anywhere, i probably have the name wrong.

Do you have any idea what city it's in?

There's the Anchorage Native Medical Center, and they have a gift shop with Native-made crafts, and the Alaska Native Heritage Center, which also has a gift shop. Perhaps you've combined the two in your memory?

Where's your cruise going?

Quoting from Frommers (2005 edition): "Probably the best place for Native crafts in Anchorage is the Hospital Auxiliary Craft Shop in the Alaska Native Medical Center, off Tudor, east of Bragaw (907/729/1122) where everything is made by those eligible to use the hospital. The work you find here is all authentic and entirely traditional. The shop is open Monday through Friday from 10am to 2pm and the first and third Saturday of each month from 11am to 2pm."

The visit to the Alaska Native Hospital in Anchorage was one of our favorite experiences in Alaska. My husband purchased an item from a man as it was coming into the shop....of course we waited until the shop priced it first.

We bought 3 pairs of fur beaded slippers that I saw throughout the port cities for WAY more than we paid. I bought earrings made from porcupine quills. Please doublecheck their hours of operation because I remember them to be limited!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did,

wwb

To get to the hospital, take C street from downtown Anchorage until you reach Tudor Road. Take a left toward the mountains and travel several miles east. You'll see the hospital on your left; its part of a very large medical complex (the largest building there). The gift shop is right off the lobby.

If you don't have a car, there is municipal People Mover service to the native hospital as well.

I am planning on going to the Alaska Native Heritage Center while I am in Anchorage. Does anyone know about the prices at their gift shop compared to the hospital museum? Are they significantly lower? Is it worth my while to go the museum to get my art/gifts or stick with the ANHC?

Thanks!

It's not a hospital museum, it's the hospital gift shop. That said, if you wander through the halls a bit (remember it's a working hospital) you can see some very wonderful art on the walls and on display.

Prices at the Heritage Center are generally higher than at the hospital, but it depends on the item.

The Alaska Native Heritage Center caters very much to the tourist trade while the gift shop at the hospital does not. They still are both two of the best in Anchorage. If you have a car, the two are connected by Tudor Road which becomes Muldoon. At the most, they're about 15 minutes apart.

Archived