Trouble picking best Excursion

angelcakes

Hey board members -- sure could use your help at this port. Traveling in July with my 14yr old daughter -- need bonding time. Wed are both in good shape but not major athletes. Want to do Swim with StingRays in GC or maybe relax on a beautiful beach and Canopy Zip Line in Rotan. We are at a loss for Belize. Everyone seems to cave tube-- but we have wonderful Tubing in the N. Georgia Mountains. Sometime a lazy river but with dips and faster water. We do this almost every summer. Thought cave tubing would be too similar. Thought of horseback riding in jungle... but has anyone done this? Is it safe. Will we swelter in July? I heard of Trevors' trips and have written him.

Any other helpful thoughts or suggestions. Really would love some feed back.

Thanks so much,

Lori

[snip]

Thought of horseback riding in jungle... but has anyone done this? Is it safe. Will we swelter in July? I heard of Trevors' trips and have written him.

Thanks so much,

Lori

We did the horseback ride with Trevor and I would go again in a heart beat! Most of the trails we were on had a high canopy and were shaded for a large portion of the ride. You will probably want to have on long pants for the ride but short sleeves are okay. I will say that Trevor and Curly, his ranch hand, both had on long sleeve shirts so I guess it is what you get used to. Be sure to take bug spray with Deet for protection from mosquitos. We did not have any in April but I don't know how July might be. You will be very safe with Trevor and Cathy.

IMHO, the trip is worth it for the lunch you will get! It may well be the best eating you do on the trip. I wish I could get some of the fresh limeaide and Cathy's lime pie right now. :D

So far as having some bonding time with your daughter, Smuggler's Run is a well kept secret, almost. Trevor's trips are not mass market trips and you will get lots of personal attention. I know my daughter and I had a great time on the ride and my wife really enjoyed just staying in a hamock back at the pavillion. She has a bad back and can't ride. Depending on the day, y'all may be ther only ones there. We and our friends were the only ones the day we went. We made some great memories and got some wonderful pictures.

Let us know if you go how you like it.

Hey board members -- sure could use your help at this port. Traveling in July with my 14yr old daughter -- need bonding time. Wed are both in good shape but not major athletes. Want to do Swim with StingRays in GC or maybe relax on a beautiful beach and Canopy Zip Line in Rotan. We are at a loss for Belize. Everyone seems to cave tube-- but we have wonderful Tubing in the N. Georgia Mountains. Sometime a lazy river but with dips and faster water. We do this almost every summer. Thought cave tubing would be too similar. Thought of horseback riding in jungle... but has anyone done this? Is it safe. Will we swelter in July? I heard of Trevors' trips and have written him.

Thanks so much,

Lori

Lori,

Hello fellow Georgian!!! We are going on Carnival Glory June 30th and have booked the Manatee Watch, Snorkeling, Beach Day through Cool Breeze. You can do just the beach, or beach and snorkeling, or all three. My DH and DD are not snorkeling but me being the snorkeling lover will just go off without them for about an hour, I think. When I get back I can let you know how it is if you are interested. I have heard many good things about this excursion.

Take care!!!

Anne Marie

Hello Anne Marie, My DH and I arn't cruising until Feb. but I have never heard of cool breeze and tried searching the web and couldn't find it. It sounds like an awsome way to spend the day since we arn't interested in cavetubing. Could you give me the website? Thanks .....Kim

The correct name is Coral Breeze. Check out their website for excursions in Belize. We booked the snorkeling trip-Shark Ray Alley. I have read wonderful reviews about this excursion through this company. We are looking forward doing it in July.

Kim,

Sorry, travgurl is right it is Coral Breeze (ty travgurl!). I was in a hurry to leave work..lol. I heard a lot of good things about Coral Breeze so we decided to give them a try. The nice thing about this excursion is that you pay by what you want to do and it is not just one price. I am so looking forward to snorkeling the 2nd largest reef in the world. I want to try Snuba someday but it will have to wait until I go on a trip with other snorkeling lovers.

Take care,

Anne Marie

We did the horseback ride with Trevor and I would go again in a heart beat! Most of the trails we were on had a high canopy and were shaded for a large portion of the ride. You will probably want to have on long pants for the ride but short sleeves are okay. I will say that Trevor and Curly, his ranch hand, both had on long sleeve shirts so I guess it is what you get used to. Be sure to take bug spray with Deet for protection from mosquitos. We did not have any in April but I don't know how July might be. You will be very safe with Trevor and Cathy.

IMHO, the trip is worth it for the lunch you will get! It may well be the best eating you do on the trip. I wish I could get some of the fresh limeaide and Cathy's lime pie right now. :D

So far as having some bonding time with your daughter, Smuggler's Run is a well kept secret, almost. Trevor's trips are not mass market trips and you will get lots of personal attention. I know my daughter and I had a great time on the ride and my wife really enjoyed just staying in a hamock back at the pavillion. She has a bad back and can't ride. Depending on the day, y'all may be ther only ones there. We and our friends were the only ones the day we went. We made some great memories and got some wonderful pictures.

How old is your daughter? I was thinking of booking this excursion for me and my daughter who is 6. Will she be old enough? She's ridden before (on trails) and I think she can handle it.

Thanks

Anne Marie: When are you traveling? On what ship? We are on the Glory on July 14th. Hope you enjoy the snorkeling excursion!

Travgurl,

We are on the Glory on June 30th - July 7th. Hope you have a wonderful time!!!

Lori,

We also tube the hooch every summer, and we LOVED cave tubing. There's a very important point to be made. The people on the Carnival excursion were given life jackets and tubes and set on their way to drift lazily down the river. Similar speed and issues with getting stuck that you have on the hooch. We, however, went with cave-tubing.com. I couldn't give a higher recommendation for them. They split us into 5 groups and each group had a guide. We were linked into chains (my feet in the tube in front under their arms, etc) of about 7-8 people. Each chain had a guide in the front who faced his chain of people. The guide "swam" backwards with his arms propelling us down river faster than the current. We passed MANY carnival people who had put in further down river than us. In the shallow areas he would get off his tube and pull us. We never had to get out of the tube and walk (unlike the carnival people). I felt like I was totally spoiled. The caves (we did two) were very cool and our 2 teenage daughters thought it was incredible. Walking thru the rainforest was also very beautiful. I Cave-tubing.com was the BEST.

Hope this helps,

Beth

Did Horseback riding at Banana Bank Lodge, about 1 hour from BC and loved it. They will serve you lunch, have crafts to purchase if you wish, and they have a nice pool on site there also. Plus a great aviary with tropical birds, and a couple of monkeys and other assorted animals on site. The guides there were great and really worked with the riders and were great at helping people of all horseback abilities along. They do expect a tip :rolleyes: after the trip. Our guides plucked some fresh fruit right out of the trees for us in the orange groves, and we saw hundreds of little green parrots in the trees.

How old is your daughter? I was thinking of booking this excursion for me and my daughter who is 6. Will she be old enough? She's ridden before (on trails) and I think she can handle it.

Thanks

Sue,

Sorry I missed your post. My daughter is 13 but I know Trevor's kids are 8 or so. They ride the same horses. In fact, I was on his son's horse. :D They have horses for all levels of riding. If your daughter has ridden before, I'm sure she will do well. Let me know if you need Trevor's email.

Where can I find the contact information about Trevor and his horseback ride package? Is there a website where I can go and reserve this? Thanks in advance for you help!

Archived