PADI referral for open water certification

KJHorton

My son and I are taking the PADI open water course just before our cruise. Unfortunately, the check out dive for our course is the weekend we leave for the trip. So, has anyone done their course at home and then the open water certification dives on the ship?

Was there any problem with space or being able to do this? Would my husband, who is already certified, be able to go on the same dive trips?

Looking for any information, benefits and downfalls, etc. of proceeding this way. We will be on the RCCL Freedom of the Seas, if anyone has specific info on that ship.

Thanks!

My son and I are taking the PADI open water course just before our cruise. Unfortunately, the check out dive for our course is the weekend we leave for the trip. So, has anyone done their course at home and then the open water certification dives on the ship?
I haven't, but I know it is possible. RCI does offer doing the referral dives as part of theirSea Trek scuba program The other choice is to arrange the dives yourself at 2 of the stops you make during the cruise. The reason I specify 2 stops is that they can do only 2 of the 4 required dives each day.

Would my husband, who is already certified, be able to go on the same dive trips?
Probably not if you go thru the ship. Much more likely to be able to if you make your own arrangements.

for future reference, Royal Caribbean is RCI (Royal Caribbean International)

Since you didn't list your ports of call, I can't offer opinions about them.

It definitely can be done. My wife and I (certified) just cruised with our 3 kids who completed the coursework shortly before we left. As Bruce said, we arranged privately for 2 dives each in 2 different ports. We dove with the kids and it turned out fine. One day was far better than the other because there was more for us to see while we waited for the kids and divemaster to complete some of the skills testing. The dives are somewhat limited because of the new divers but we wanted to share our kids' first diving experiences with them.

Reddi, we are doing western itinerary - Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Labadee. Did your kids do certification dives in any of these ports? If so, can you please let me have the name of the dive shop(s) you used. Thanks alot!

The only common stop we had was Grand Cayman. We were pressed for time there and just did shore dives from Eden Rock. I'd ask bruce-r or others for recommendations for boat dives in G. Cayman as I think you'll find them much more enjoyable.

KJ - I failed to mention... Just my wife and I dove with Alison (scubawithalison.com) in Cozumel the year before. She would be an excellent choice if she is available to take you. Not sure if she does the dives for those without c-card though. You can e-mail her.

I did this last year on my cruise. Did my course-work at home and the certification dives while on our cruise. I got a form from the divemaster at my local dive shop where I did the course work, think it was called Universal Referral Form. Set up all my certification dives outside the ship. My son, who was already certified, was able to dive with me on 3 of the 4 dives. It was a blast!

We were on the Southern itinerary and did not have any of the stops you have so, unfortunately I cant help you there.

We finished our certification in GC in April. However, we were staying on the island. It took us about 2 days as we were required 4-5 tank dives. We dove with Ocean Frontiers on the East End and they were wonderful, but too far if you are cruising for the day. We also dove with Don Foster's which is right at the edge of downtown Georgetown. I'm sure you could check their website and discuss via e-mail. Red Sail Sports is also very good. There are other good dive shops in GC, but those are the ones we have personal experience with.

Archived