Car rental in St John NB

Has anyone done this?? Where is the rental car location,? Is it near the cruise ship dock?? We are doing a B2B New England/ Canada cruise this fall and will get to see St John twice. I was thinking a nice drive out side the town to see the "colors" would be a nice thing for one of our port days.

Has anyone done this?? Where is the rental car location,? Is it near the cruise ship dock?? We are doing a B2B New England/ Canada cruise this fall and will get to see St John twice. I was thinking a nice drive out side the town to see the "colors" would be a nice thing for one of our port days.

Avis Rent-a-car is across the street from the cruise dock 2 blocks to the left. Hertz is in the Market Sq. complex 5 min away by foot.

(assuming you are docking at Pugsley Terminal, not at Long Wharf - see #1 of FAQ's about Saint John, NB in this group to see where your specific ship docks as overflow docks at Long Wharf.

Avis is located across the street from the Cruise terminal on Water Street in Saint John, Hertz is in Market Square, which is about a 10 min walk and Budget is in Brunswick Square Parking garage.

Wow, thanks you two. wish I had visited this section of Cruise Critic earlier. I've been spending my time at the New England site, not even thinking of looking at the Canada site ( I thought it was more for Alaska cruisers). Looks like I'll have to spend more time here!!! I have another question. I read somewhere that St John has lots of covered bridges. We would love to get out to the country side and take some photos. Any suggestions on where we should go?

Thank You.

Wow, thanks you two. wish I had visited this section of Cruise Critic earlier. I've been spending my time at the New England site, not even thinking of looking at the Canada site ( I thought it was more for Alaska cruisers). Looks like I'll have to spend more time here!!! I have another question. I read somewhere that St John has lots of covered bridges. We would love to get out to the country side and take some photos. Any suggestions on where we should go?

Thank You.

If covered bridges and photography are of interest to you - I would recommend the St. Martin's tour, or renting a car and going to St. Martins's.

How far is St Martin's from St John?? Is it an easy drive? Photography is a real interest to us, especially my husband. I often joke that the vacations we go on are really for our camera, I just go along for the ride!!!We'll be in St John on October 2nd and October 9th. I was thinking that the 2nd would be our best bet for fall colors. What do you think???

How far is St Martin's from St John?? Is it an easy drive? Photography is a real interest to us, especially my husband. I often joke that the vacations we go on are really for our camera, I just go along for the ride!!!We'll be in St John on October 2nd and October 9th. I was thinking that the 2nd would be our best bet for fall colors. What do you think???

October 9th would be better for the fall colours as they peak around mid October here. You would still see colour on the 2nd--just better on the 9th. St. Martins is about a 40 minute drive from Saint John. Just take the four lane highway (Number 1) east for about 10 kms until you see the exit marked St. Martins and the airport symbol. Take that exit and follow the airport arterial to the end (about 10km) .Turn left at the stop sign and follow the road past the airport out to St. Martins.

The people at the car rental place will tell you how to get to the highway as I am not sure just where you will be picking up your car.

In St. Martin's your husband will find interesting photography opportunities with lighthouses, lobster traps, covered bridges, fishing boats and the sea caves.

Sapper1, looks like October 9th for us, then.

Acey, I noticed on your Saint John FAQ ( which I'm going to print out and bring with me) You show Crown Princess at the alternate dock on Oct 2nd. So does that mean that on Oct 9th Crown will be closer to the car rental lot?

Thanks again for all the great info.

Jan

Sapper1, looks like October 9th for us, then.

Acey, I noticed on your Saint John FAQ ( which I'm going to print out and bring with me) You show Crown Princess at the alternate dock on Oct 2nd. So does that mean that on Oct 9th Crown will be closer to the car rental lot?

Thanks again for all the great info.

Jan

Depends who you are renting from. If you are renting from Hertz, it's in the complex that the stern of the ship faces - just walk outside gate and follow cranberry coloured trail up onto the boardwalk and around the Hilton Hotel and into entrance of Market Square. (5-7 min. walk) Hertz is on second level. If it is Avis, just hop the free shuttle and it stops across the street from Avis. Or if you want to walk to Avis, instead of going in Market Square entrance, just keep walking along the boardwalk until you get to intersection - you'll see Avis down on the right (additional 3 minute walk).

In addition, Budget rent a car is located on the bottom level of the Brunswick Sq. Parking Garage located beside City Hall (and City Hall is roughly located across the intersection from Avis).

Archived