Taking babies on a cruise?

lastingtouch

Oh how I wish my husband could grill, but since he has spent his entire life in apartments until he got married to me it's something he never learned how to do. Me on the other hand always lived in a house except when I was in college learned how to grill. :mad: Nope cruise is the only vacation I get any kind of pampering. I'm even dreading Disney World in two months because I know that my son will almost be my entire responsibility. My husband almost lost him in the mall a couple of weeks ago because he couldn't figure out how many tokens for the merry-go-round so I asked him to keep an eye on him while I got the tokens, the next thing I hear is "ma'am, your son" as he went running down the hall.:eek: My husband didn't understand that keeping an eye on him meant keeping an eye on him.

All you single gals, take this as a life lesson! Love does not conquer all :D

I was fussy and married a guy who was the third in a family of six boys. They had four boys in five years and then waited 12 years before having the fifth and then another two before the last. They lived on a working dairy farm, but (if you are a dairy farmer you WILL relate) both parents worked outside of the farm, full-time.

Here comes the good part - so the older boys got off the bus after school and walked the 1.5 miles :eek: up the driveway home. The two big boys went off to the barn for farm chores, while the two younger ones (DH and his next younger brother) went in the house to cook and clean. DH was baking bread (from scratch) at age 12 (as his mom said, they weren't the prettiest loaves but they tasted good)! When the 'cabooses' came along, DH and his next in line brother added babysitting to their after school chores. As a result I have a husband who can cook, clean and take care of the kids! (he's also cute and pretty even tempered) Thirteen years of marriage (with twelve years of living together before that) and I have no complaints!

(now if you had a daughter rather than a son, I'd assume you were my DH's SIL. His youngest brother had none of the 'advantages' of the older boys and is a most trying husband to his wife:D )

Oh how I wish my husband could grill, but since he has spent his entire life in apartments until he got married to me it's something he never learned how to do. Me on the other hand always lived in a house except when I was in college learned how to grill. :mad: Nope cruise is the only vacation I get any kind of pampering. I'm even dreading Disney World in two months because I know that my son will almost be my entire responsibility. My husband almost lost him in the mall a couple of weeks ago because he couldn't figure out how many tokens for the merry-go-round so I asked him to keep an eye on him while I got the tokens, the next thing I hear is "ma'am, your son" as he went running down the hall.:eek: My husband didn't understand that keeping an eye on him meant keeping an eye on him.

Psst.......they are trainable. They can grill.

I'm an engineer by degree as my husband is.......so the I don't know how to do it doesn't hold water in our house. They can even read the labels on clothing and do laundry!

As for the keeping an eye on your child....good luck....:)

We got married late in life and as a bachelor my husband threw all his laundry in one load. I don't need to describe what his whites looked like. As for the trainable I tried that. He intentionally messes up or makes things difficult so that it's just easier to do it myself. I spent 3 months of my pregnancy on bed rest I begged my doctor to let me do things explaining that it was just less stressful.

Actually he is most definetly a product of his mother who I have since learned never let him in the kitchen. And yes as a bachelor he ate out 3 meals a day. (Something we now do no more then 1 to 2 times per week now.) His father now spends holidays trying to teach him how to carve a turkey because he never saw his father do that growing up.

My son will learn how to cook and help out. He needs something to keep him busy. Right now I think he is going to take after his uncle and cousin and become an engineer because he is always either taking things apart and at 20 mos has already figured out how to open the deadbolt, get through the baby proofing, and get out the front door.:eek:

So is that what was going on last Dec when I was getting black and blue in my cabin last Dec. :eek: (Last minute booking and taking one of the last cabins left I hate bunk beds in a cabin when you are putting the lower beds together and yes the seas were rough even the crew was getting sick.)

Like I said I plan on going no further then outside the door with the video monitor. The furthest I've gone at home when he is napping is my neighbor and I have the video monitor with me. The only reason I would leave the cabin is if ye won't fall asleep if he can see me. First I'll try laying down in bed taking a rest or nap myself and seeing if he'll go to sleep.

Normal nap time 12:30. Embarkation day he will obviously be napping very late, in fact if I could put it off until after the muster drill I will so he could be so tired he might have no problems going to sleep. I would hate to have to wake him up to participate in the muster drill which is why I would love to put it off. That way I could have him nap from the time we get back to the cabin until dinner. Then again I was also thinking of shifting his schedule a little before the cruise, but I also find he shifts his own schedule whenever we are on vacation and shifts it back when we come home.

larronry--Oh no, please don't misunderstand--I wasn't referring to you needing to step outside while he goes to sleep. I totally understand; occasionally DS has same problem. I was referring to the whole go-down-to-the-lounge-and-have-a-drink-while-the-kids-are-sleeping thing. BTW, will he sleep in a stroller (are you taking a stroller)? That way if you have to go to muster, if he's still in his stroller you won't disturb him.

Maybe someone who has taken a baby on a cruise can answer that question, but I've always had to use the stairs during muster and he would be way to heavy to carry in the stroller up what I would assume to be several flights of stairs with a lot of people rushing to get to their muster station. And if he were to be woken up with all the noise he would then be the crankiest thing on earth so I'm just hoping that the new environment and all the excitement will just keep him going.

I totally agree with there is no way I could leave him in the cabin and go up and have a drink. There are some rooms on some ships where the bars (which I say loosely because it wasn't the major hang out but more of a quiet area where you could get drinks but still chat with friends without yelling) were literally steps away from some of the rooms. Some of my friends had rooms here and if they were traveling with kids I would see nothing wrong with baby monitor because you could be in the room in under 30 seconds but stairs and elevators no way. Heck I know there are meeting rooms above my room (I do hope they aren't noisy) and I won't go there).

After our last cruise my husband and I decided on low down and center just to give us a break. That high up and forward was just horrible in those rough seas. Neither of us got sea sick it was just the being tossed around part. I've never been so scared in a ships shower before. If we get seas like that again It's going to take two of us to bathe the baby because someone is going to need to make sure I don't loose my balance.

Yeah, I forgot about having to take stairs for muster. That won't work.

And DS makes a mess during bathtime on dry land imagine the mess made while the ship pitched and rolled! Better tip our room steward well!

Our last cruise was also a bit rough one or two nights, unfortunately, during dinner both times. We took my family and it was parents & siblings first cruise. The motion made them all so sick they all left dinner early.

When I go to muster with my twins in their stroller, we're allowed to use the elevator. There is always someone guarding the elevator who will allow those in wheelchairs or who have trouble using the stairs to ride to their muster floor. If you want to take your stroller, I would only have one parent ask to use the elevator with the baby, but I'm not sure if it will work. They may just allow me to because I'm outnumbered by my girls.

Best,

Mia

I could always play it by ear with how cranky he is getting and if it is real bad then have him sleep in his stroller, which he has done on occasion, and go to the deck I have to report to and either have the life vests with me or have my husband bring them up. I still think think the noise will wake him up so it wouldn't be my first choice.

I'll just have to play that whole first day by ear. If I can't make it too the dining room then that's the way it will be. I won't bring him cranky into the dining room. If they have something really good on the vegetarian menu I will see if they'll let my husband bring it back for me though.

Archived