carnival destiny

lucygoosey

I am thinking about going on this ship but have read alot of stuff that I'm not sure.I want to go to the southern island so it would be the destiny or serenade of the sea. There is about a 250 difference per person. Are the shows and music all spanish speaking on the destiny or the serenade of the sea.If anyone has done either please tell me your thoughts.We are a family group from upstate ny and we range in age from 6 to 62.

I am thinking about going on this ship but have read alot of stuff that I'm not sure.I want to go to the southern island so it would be the destiny or serenade of the sea. There is about a 250 difference per person. Are the shows and music all spanish speaking on the destiny or the serenade of the sea.If anyone has done either please tell me your thoughts.We are a family group from upstate ny and we range in age from 6 to 62.

In march the shows were in english and all the lounges/bands played in english as well, the only exception is the Criterion Lounge where there was a latin band playing music in spanish.

Juan Carlos

The shows on the Destiny in May were in English. Announcements were made in English then repeated in Spanish. There were a couple of alternative shows for Spanish speaking guests, but I really think the cruise is predominately English. The cruise director doesn't even speak Spanish.

I am doing the Destiny 8/5/2007 and the last few reviews I have read have been really good. One family just returned and they had a gread time, I am also in the 49-50 age group with a 15 yr. old son. :)

I did here 1 lounge was spanish, but that don't worry me, I not real big

on lounges. ;)

I have also heard the same about other cruise lines, It is going out of Sanb Juan. :)

Just go and have a good time. :p

I think it has to do with the passenger ratio, i cruised Destiny at the end of July and everything was english only, not even any salsa dancing:mad:

There were very few (don't even remember seeing any) Locals on the ship.

lately there have been quite a few good reviews about the ship.

There are so many ports on the cruise, you are off the ship more than you are on the ship.

Mostly all the bad reviews seem to be coming from the summer months.

Personally, I am going in December 9/2007. My impression from the reviews I have read so far is that the summer months are not because of the Spanish, but rather because of the teenagers.

I can't remember where it is I read it, but it is my understanding that residents of San Juan can buy cruise tickets as low as $250 pp. Imagine, no major transport costs, room service included, multiple islands to visit. No wonder many local parents take their kids with them during school break. Face-it if it cost you so little, you would probably too.

So come December I am hoping to meet lots of people from San Juan, without too many wild teens to spoil the fun.

I think it has to do with the passenger ratio,

I think you are right about that I was on her in feb 07 and the only announcement I heard in spanish was at the muster drill... As I metioned on another thread that cruise was about 65-70% canadian and about 8-10% latino 20% other... I was really a good cruise they did have a salsa dance class and I did hear a very little reggaeton in the kiddie disco one night as I walked passed but that was about all the spanish I heard....

Go and enjoy yourself have a wonderful cruise:)

I just returned from the Destiny 6/10-6/17. Our group was 13 including four 75+, six 40-55 and three teens. If last week was anything to judge by, the summer months is definitely a huge time for the Spanish- speaking contingent to sail. It felt like we were at least 50-50 Hispanic. We had two cruise directors. The primary one was Steve Knisley who did not speak Spanish. We also had a guy named Marcello who was the Spanish-speaking CD. However, this was his last cruise and he was heading back to Miami for reassignment on another ship (since he lives in Miami, this would mean he would be based at home). But, they didn't say for sure, but hinted that there would be a replacement for Marcello. And then there was an Asst CD named Nordja who was from Scandinavia.

Everything that was announced was announce first in English, then in Spanish. Many of the key people hosting various events were Spanish-speakers and tried to do things in both languages, but the shows, bands, etc were all in English. Clearly they tried very hard to accommodate, but it was still probably about 60-40 or 2/3 English.

One problem we encountered. My nieces and their friend (15, 13 and 13) went to the O2 club and to the teen disco, etc the first few days to try and meet friends, but they found that it was very hard to find English speaking teens on-board. They ended up spending a lot of time with the family and just doing one event per day in the teen activities. From what I heard third-hand or so, the Camp Carnival was a little easier for the English-speaking kids, and they seemed to enjoy it.

We had a little more problems with the Hispanic guests themselves. Although the majority were very polite, tA large minority of the Hispanics, cut in front of people, or bumped people and didn't even acknowledge others. They were very brusque and just ignored the English speakers.

Don't worry...everything is still geared primarily towards English speakers (and Americans) but this was the most I have seen any of my three cruise ships try to accommodate foreign language speakers.

Okay, first off...I'm a white boy from Texas, and we too just got back from the Destiny...6/3-6/10. We had a GREAT time! But Yes, I would agree that the ratio was probably 50/50 Puertoricans to All other races. Now then before I continue on though...I want to remind everyone...(and I understand that its easy to forget, because it seems like such a foriegn place)...but Puerto Rico is PART OF THE UNITED STATES!!!! So its not like people from the U.S. vs. foriegners! They are Americans...not with the EXACT same status...but Puertoricans are very muchly part of the U.S., and they get offended if you forget that!

Back to the subject at hand. That is though...the big difference...there is a LARGE contengency of Spanish speaking people on board! And to an extent...their culture is a bit different from the continental U.S. Really, they kind of reminded me of Italians!!! (Please, no offense Italians)....but you know what I mean, kind of loud and little pushy! Overall though...I thought everyone behaved just fine! However, I will say that for the first time ever...I noticed some big lines at the buffetts!!! There were a lot of people doing some serious eating!!!! NEVER seen lines at the buffetts like these!!!

The ship, fantastic! And the itenerary...fantastic!!! An Island a day....is awesome!

As for Winter time cruises and kids...we have done several of both - summer and winter. And yes, there are way more teens and kids on Summer cruises. I think the last winter cruise we did...(which was this past winter)...on the Conquest...there were probably 50 kids....total on the ship!!!

Personally, I am going in December 9/2007. My impression from the reviews I have read so far is that the summer months are not because of the Spanish, but rather because of the teenagers.

We are going in December also. But could not get myself to book the Destiny. We wil be on the Crown Princess:)

Archived