More Sports activity Please

lpranger058

Count me among those who wouldn't care for an amusement park on water. I like sporting activities fine, but if I want that on my cruise, it would make more sense to me to simply sail on a ship/line that chooses to market themselves to that type of cruiser. I prefer the more reserved, lower-key atmosphere (and, frankly, the more affordable cruise!). The gym provides plenty of physical exercise for me, and the waterslide provides plenty enough childish fun. Maybe I'm an old fuddyduddy, but we need to cruise too!

:D

Actually one of the reasons we DON'T cruise on RCCL is precisely because of the rock climbing wall, the miniature golf, the indoor atrium mall that looks like a scaled down version of Roosevelt Field, The Johnny Rocket's etc.

Hey, if I want to go to a mall, I'll stay home!!! I want to go on a cruise, AND GET AWAY FROM THE MALLS OF AMERICA.

I knew things were becoming doomed once franchise restaurants started being invited onto the cruise ships.

Besides being a travel experience, cruising should also be something of an esthetic experience as well. What's next, having advertising logos renting every available space on the funnel?

If you want to go climbing all over a wall, play miniature golf, go on a wave maker, go ice-skating, eat at a fast food joint, or shop at every franchise store in America, why don't you just stay home or take a vacation at The Mall of America in Minneapolis. There are people who do do that!!

As it is, the water slide and the giant screen are already major concessions to philistinization of the cruise industry.

Sheesh, the barbarians are at the gate, and are breaking the doors down....

BnB

Actually one of the reasons we DON'T cruise on RCCL is precisely because of the rock climbing wall, the miniature golf, the indoor atrium mall that looks like a scaled down version of Roosevelt Field, The Johnny Rocket's etc.

Hey, if I want to go to a mall, I'll stay home!!! I want to go on a cruise, AND GET AWAY FROM THE MALLS OF AMERICA.

I knew things were becoming doomed once franchise restaurants started being invited onto the cruise ships.

Besides being a travel experience, cruising should also be something of an esthetic experience as well. What's next, having advertising logos renting every available space on the funnel?

If you want to go climbing all over a wall, play miniature golf, go on a wave maker, go ice-skating, eat at a fast food joint, or shop at every franchise store in America, why don't you just stay home or take a vacation at The Mall of America in Minneapolis. There are people who do do that!!

As it is, the water slide and the giant screen are already major concessions to philistinization of the cruise industry.

BnB

I agree 100%!!!!!!!

An organized basketball or volleyball game? BLEACHERS??? On a cruise ship???? Sorry... but yawn :p I can see that at home, TV, at the beach, at the local high school... I have no desire to see it on a cruise. If there are people that want that on vacation, why not go on a ship that offers that? I don't think those items would make a ship more competitive... and Carnival doesn't really need to be "more" competitive... their ships sail full week after week. Carnival fits into what I want on vacation... a laid back caribbean vacation, at a great price... I sure hope it stays that way.

BnB

I see photos of the interiors of some of these massive ships with the huge, overlit malls and I just shudder. I hate even having to SHOP at a mall, I sure don't care to VACATION in one! :D To each his own, of course, I just don't understand why turn you'd turn Product A into Product B, when Product A has its own defined market, and Product B is already readily available? I suspect, as was suggested by someone else above, that some people just want a Hummer for the price of a Hyundai. But the economics just doesn't work. :o

I am very sports minded. I am competitive cyclist who trains upwards of 15 hours a week. When I am on the cruise physical activity is the last thing I want. Give a lounge chair, a bucket of beer and a pool and I am a happy camper.

My Sentiments exactly! I am an Avid & better then average golfer. When I want to play golf on vacation I go with alot of guys on a "golf" vacation. I love White water Rafting also so I go White Water rafting. Cruising to me it letting the air flow through your hair without a care in the world. Sitting on a lounge having someone bringing me my favorite adult beverage. If I wanted to climb rocks I would go Yosemite or Yellowstone to see even better scenery! Give me a deck, sun, beautiful people, a drink with an umbrella, or a cold beer. I like this while I am on a cruise.

I'm confused.:confused: Where do these people find the time? What with putting towels on deck chairs, picking out the best pair of jeans for dinner, ripping into the purser's desk for an error on sign and sail, and mattress testing ;), how much more activity do you want?:rolleyes:

I don't WANT Carnival to be more like Royal Caribbean -- or any other cruiseline for that matter. I like Carnival for what it is and I also like Carnival's prices!! Anyone who is looking for more in a cruiseline has the freedom to try out any of the others. Please leave my favorite alone. ;)

I think carnival needs more sports activities to stay competetive with RCCL (rock climbing walls, flowrider, full basketball courts). Carnival should mandate sports courts on all ships, this would allow for originized volleyball, basketball etc- also they should consider a rockclimbing wall if they could find the space. I love Carnival, but I must say that for a sports minded person, bingo and shows are getting old. Any thoughts
I agree...Carnival does everything wrong. That's why they are the "Largest" cruiseline company in the world.

I can't wait to see one of those ugly rock climbing walls on the back of the ship. Or a full size basketball court that all of "ten" people get to use at one time on a ship of 3000.. There's a good use of space.

Or a flow rider.....LOL....Most of us can't even rollerskate let-alone surf.

I like them just the way they are.

Maybe if RCI would stop using space for nonuseful things for most people....their prices might come down....:eek: ;)

Well I guess the masses have spoken, I just need more than bingo, booze and the pool I guess...

I think you have a limited idea, or simply didn't take the time to see what IS offered. Now we don't play bingo (EVER), we don't drink much alcohol. We do enjoy water in all shapes and sizes. So we enjoy the pools very much. We also enjoy looking at the large body of water outside the ship, no matter what sea or ocean that is.

However on the Conquest class ships, activities for the athletically minded include: The gymnasium which has aerobic machines, strength training machines, dead weights, yoga classes, sometimes tai chi classes, pilates etc.

The spa facilities are wonderful, esp. the steam and sauna and the needle showers.

Those who like to jog , power walk or simply slow walk in the open air have several decks on which to do this.

There was a half-court basketball court (constantly occupied by teenage males and 20-30 somethings who looked like they hadn't seen a basketball court in a few years), and a volleyball court. A lot of kids we saw enjoyed the ping pong and the shuffleboard !!! Yes, a cruise ship MUST have that last thing, because it was the FIRST activity other than eating, sleeping and people watching on ANY cruise ship.

But mostly, I see several thousand hard working people, on a well deserved vacation who need to do nothing more than decompress; and there is NOTHING like a cruise on the open sea for doing that. For most whom I see, there is nothing better than sitting out on the lido deck, or even their own private cabin decks, with little or no clothing, a good book, some good music on the i-pod, no cares, no watch, no cell phone, no palm pilot, NO @#$%^& laptop computer, and no noise (hopefully at worst just a little). That's what a cruise USED to be about, and why people chose that.

If you want action, go to an amusement park. Maybe next time I wind up at an amusement park with the grandkids, I'll ask the management why there isn't any place I can sit and not have to see and hear all that frenetic activity.

Moreover, most cruises have several excursions. On our two week cruise in August we're stopping at SEVEN ports of call. We'll be out and about and trekking around for several miles on those days. On the days at sea, we want nothing more than to recharge our batteries.

BnB

Well spoken Carnival fans...

There is a time/place for everything....malls on a ship, ice rink are available on RCI for those who want them. Carnival offers the best for those who just want to veg-out and watch the ocean go by with a tropical drink.

I personally am one of those few thousand hard working folks that go on cruises to decompress and its the ONLY way I can escape from office business because cell phones dont work (as a part of normal service) at sea. Carnival is a great outlet for me due to the FUN factor!

Well I guess the masses have spoken, I just need more than bingo, booze and the pool I guess...

Plenty more to do than bingo... and the pool (and come on, booze goes with everything :p It's not an "activity" :rolleyes: ) I would suggest that you go on a line that DOES have full sized basketball and volleyball courts, and bleachers... and all the other activities you are wanting... I wouldn't cruise on a ship that didn't have things that interested me... good luck and have fun!!

I think one of the reasons Carnival is so reasonably priced is because, although they offer many activities with the facilities they currently have, they don't spend the extra $ to build on all that other stuff. I like things the way they are...most people cruise to relax, in my experience, not to wear themselves out by playing games all day long. Realistically, how much time do most people have available to do that, anyway? 1 or 2 at sea days, and the way Carnival itineraries are going, that's probably the max there will be on most sailings.

Nope. RCI can keep the surfing deal, and the rock wall, and the ice skating rink...and the bungee jumping or water skiing behind the ship, LOL (because you KNOW that will be next) and jack their prices as high as they want. Give me a Carnival ship in good condition, a deck chair and a waiter to bring me drinks while I relax on sea days, and I'm GOOOOOOD.

Thanks for an upbeat reply, Others keep telling me to go to a different line however I have always cruised CCL and was just pointing out what I thought might be a few good ideas. i have teenage kids who have expressed wanting to do these things (full size b-ball courts etc-) but i wanted to stay loyal to Carnival.

I wonder if there has ever been a "RCI should have waterslides" on the other board. :rolleyes:

I have no problem with Carnival adding new and innovating things to their ships to improve the product. Copying another cruiselines "niche" activities isn't improvement it's copying.

My thoughts exactly. If Carnival were to add a lot of the amenities that Royal Caribbean has such as a rock climbing wall, people would think that Carnival couldn't come up with anything better on their own and were copying.

Thanks for an upbeat reply, Others keep telling me to go to a different line however I have always cruised CCL and was just pointing out what I thought might be a few good ideas. i have teenage kids who have expressed wanting to do these things (full size b-ball courts etc-) but i wanted to stay loyal to Carnival.

True loyalty means appreciating them for the cruiseline they are, not trying to turn them into the cruiseline you wish they were... :D

Dont get me wrong folks I have only sailed with Carnival and dont wish to go with RC but im looking to see if others share my thoughts, and I also think that it would make CCL more competitive. I feel like if they did a full size sports court with bleachers they could have events like: Adult only volleyball, Teen vs Adult Basketball, All female Basketball etc,,,etc,, The sports minded could participate and the rest could spectate. I think this would add even a more upbeat, fun atmosphere..

They don't NEED to be more competitive. They already are #1. Why should they copy #2? While they definitely need to be aware of what they are doing to stay on their toes, it doesn't make sense to copy. They need to come up with their own innovations to stay #1. Plus more competitive=more expensive. I don't like the idea of more sports areas because we already have a chair hog problem! I don't really like team sports, I'm more into cycling, swimming, etc. So that would put me in the spectator category. I can't think of anything more boring than watching a bunch of ameteur "athletes" play basketball/volleyball. I'd much rather have the extra deck space.

As for the other activities like ice skating, rock climbing, and such, NO WAY! I don't want to pay extra for this stuff that I won't use, and it would attract even more kids to Carnival.

No organized games that I saw in the Capers. Actually, the basketball court was always full, but nobody was playing basketball:rolleyes:

We found the basketball court was a great place to toss the frisbee around, since it's surrounded by netting.

Archived