sweating out the last tender with nativeway

cruzobsessed

I really do wish Sharon had offered to work w/me on this concern. But she told us if we were concerned we could take the shorter rays and snorkel crusie and get back earlier. And ultimately that is what we are going to do. I am thinking we will book the Ebanks tour w/rays and stops at Coral Gardens and Barrier Reef. And I think Ebanks is either owned by Sharon or a family member, as I saw a post on the Cayman board saying Sharon's last name is Ebanks.

I figure missing Rum Pointe is not that huge a deal for us (now that I am over it and made the decision). I wanted to go there for the pretty beach and shade (husband is sun sensitive and at that point in the day will need shade). But we will have pretty beach and shade on Labadee, and we can also get it in Cozumel (at least palapa shade on the beach) and we have more flexibility and less timing stress w/those.

So that is just us. It's a trade-off. No Rum Pointe, less stress. Shaded nice beach elsewhere for us. Everyone has their own priorities and people respond differently to the time stress. For some it won't bother them. I don't like time stress.

On a personal note I think you made the right decision. We were not that impressed with rum point beach,my husband also can not be in the sun. I went in the water but there were a lot of rocks and it was very difficult to walk in the water. I was so stressed out and nervous by the time we got back to the dock it just wasn't worth it.The guide didn't pay any attention when I quetioned the time he just laughed and said don't be nervous. One of the problems was that there were people on board from a Carnival ship and they did change time so our ships time was an hour ahead and they were not anxious to get back. I am like you I can't stand being late,have a great time, we did.

Sharon never mentioned that info to me in her email when I told her I was concerned about the timing (and I attached to my email to her a thread on here that got me really concerned by someone who had a problem w/the timing and ran for the last tender). Maybe it's because they have instituted the changes since I emailed w/her, which was the end of May. But anyway, it is very good they are listening to the customer's concerns and making changes. And I am glad she didn't get threatened by the thread here where people expressed their concerns in a civilized manner; instead she is making changes, which makes good business sense.

I just got back from a cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas yesterday. On Saturday we were ported in Cozumel.

My mom had wanted to see the Mayan ruins, but discovered the tour was 8 hours. So that idea got nixed.

You can see where this is going already.

So first thing after porting, the 78 people signed up get off the Enchantment and got on the "Mexico III" which would take them to the mainland.

All aboard was 6:30.... Around 6:00 a quick-hitting storm blew in from the direction of the mainland and hit the dock area pretty hard, but only for about 10 minutes. People stopped filtering in around 6:20 and it seemed like we were on time. But 6:30 rolled around and the crew was just lazing around the dock. It was odd. My cabin was on deck 7, almost directly above the gangway. I watched as the EOS officer was stomping around, lighting up cigarettes every now and then. Around 6:44 he grabbed his radio and made a terse call to someone else. The response came back clearly, "Well, we can't leave them. We'll have to wait. Give them about 10 more minutes." The officer didn't like this response at all.

Immediately my dad and I surmised it was a rather large cruise-sponsored tour that was late.

6:54 rolls around and they are still waiting. Again the officer calls up. "We see them approaching," came the response. About two minutes later the Mexico III came into view. It comes ROLLING in like the captain is a man on the mission, but.... His passengers are rather unconcerned. They're on the aft viewing deck taking pictures of the deck and conversing. The Mexico III docks and the passengers slowly filter out, and stroll very leisurely around the long concrete dock, past Mexican ferries, and saunter up to the ship. Some even stop to take pictures of the stern of the Enchantment.

Below me, I can see the officer about to have a heart attack. It's already 7:05 (we should've been pushing off at 7:00). The 78 passengers leisurely stroll aboard...

My father and I were talking and we were highly annoyed at the total lack of urgency any of them had to get aboard. When the last two guys, who'd stopped to take photos at the stern, finally strolled aboard, applause erupted from the port side of the Enchantment. We left 20 minutes late.

I would've jumped off the Mexico III and swam across to the Enchantment's pier, climbed up the ladder, and gotten aboard. Yeah, so 77 other people would've been behind me, but hey, I would want to be aboard that ship on time. At the very least, I would've jumped onto the pier the second the Mexico III docked and sprinted around the dock to the Enchantment.

At the same time...

The command structure of the Enchantment and (I would suppose they contacted HQ) RCL were totally right to wait for SEVENTY-EIGHT people on a cruise-sponsored tour. That would've been a huge PR gaffe if we'd left without them.

Sharon never mentioned that info to me in her email when I told her I was concerned about the timing (and I attached to my email to her a thread on here that got me really concerned by someone who had a problem w/the timing and ran for the last tender). Maybe it's because they have instituted the changes since I emailed w/her, which was the end of May. But anyway, it is very good they are listening to the customer's concerns and making changes. And I am glad she didn't get threatened by the thread here where people expressed their concerns in a civilized manner; instead she is making changes, which makes good business sense.

I believe they have just very recently made these changes, probably because some of you good folks have made her aware of the problem. Thanks to everyone who has contacted Native Ways, expressing concern. I know my family will have a great time on the tour! :D

I do not think we should be concerned about missing the last tender, there is a change with Native Way. This is a letter I just received from Sharon last night:

Hi Ken,

I am completely amazed by the sudden onset of concern about the arrival times back to the cruise ship pier for the RRR tour. We have been offering this tour for the past four years and the arrival times back to the pier have been about the same. NO ONE TAKING A NATIVE WAY TOUR HAS EVER MISSED THEIR CRUISE SHIP. We are completely aware of the cruise ship schedules (more than any other operator) and have successfully worked in accordance with ship arrival, departure, and tendering activity.

To ease everyone’s mind, we have recently implemented changes that have resulted in the tours arriving back to the pier, 35-45 minutes earlier. I will be happy to change the start time from 8:15 to 8 AM Central Time (this is 9 AM ship time). This will get you back to the pier long before you need to be, guaranteed. I cannot start earlier than 8 AM Central Time because people from Carnival Conquest will have difficulty catching the tour.

Please do not worry. Again, we guarantee you will get back to the cruise ship at a time that works for you.

Sharon Ebanks

Hello Ken-NYC

I wrote to you on our 8/11 board but reading this from you an Sharon puts us pretty much in the same mind set. Looking forward to our M & M and meeting up with you and your wife on this tour. I also do not snorkle so your other half and I will be shipmates while you and my DH snorkle. If they have noodles I will get in the water and paddle around tho. I will be in the water with the rays tho. Did it once before and loved loved loved it. Something that you will always remember. So does our tour still depart at 9:30 ship time or has the time been pushed up to accommadate the other ship that will be in port with us? I think that going ashore early as possible would be the safest way to go.

Hello Ken-NYC

I wrote to you on our 8/11 board but reading this from you an Sharon puts us pretty much in the same mind set. Looking forward to our M & M and meeting up with you and your wife on this tour. I also do not snorkle so your other half and I will be shipmates while you and my DH snorkle. If they have noodles I will get in the water and paddle around tho. I will be in the water with the rays tho. Did it once before and loved loved loved it. Something that you will always remember. So does our tour still depart at 9:30 ship time or has the time been pushed up to accommodate the other ship that will be in port with us? I think that going ashore early as possible would be the safest way to go.

Cappy, as you can see from the email I received from Sharon, we will meet at 8:00am their time 9:00am ship time. She is guaranteeing being able to make the ship with no problem. It will also be great to meet you and your husband.

Archived