Anyone Else getting major AdWare Spammed Recently on this Board??

pholter

During the last 3-4 days, I've noticed alot of different cruise companies and travel companies "popping in" while I visit this site. Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me??

I do run SpyBot and other Blockers, but recently I've been attacked here. Especially with Seabourne CruiseLines.

Maybe the hosts are trying to get rid of me ;) :rolleyes: :D Won't happen!!!:p

Pholter, It's not the site that is generating the ads... you probably have SOME sort of spyware on your system.... keep in mind that even Spybot and many of the free scanners can still miss some of the programs out there... the way that spyware works in many cases is it sits and waits for you to visit a site and then you will get pop ups that revolve around the "topic" of that site... so if you visit a restaurant site, you may see pop ups relating to that, same with a travel site, you will get pop ups related to travel. You may want to invest $20-$30 in a good blocker... I have never had a pop up on this site... actually, I don't think I have had a single pop up in over 9 months...

Cruise Critic does NOT use pop up ads. You may have noticed yesterday there was a pop up ad but it only lasted a little while before Laura had it taken down.

What generally happens is you get some sort of spyware on your computer. It recognizes Cruise Critic as a travel type website so when you come here it will give you travel related popups.

You are not alone! I've been experiencing this for WEEKS! I have downloaded (at different times) several of the blocking places given to me by member of this board....to no avail. It's driving me up the wall!:eek:

Thanks everyone for your responses! Looks like I need to do some more "cleaning" than what I normally do. I really didn't think that this site would have stuff like that, but thought that maybe an advertiser on it could. Not sure what I clicked on to make this happen, but I'm with you Cotton- it's driving me crazy!!

I agree with the others on the popups. There are many programs you can use. I work in a law office and our administrator was having trouble with all the web surfers. They sent a memo telling us to run Lavasoft AdAware and Spybot (which are free programs). What one won't catch the other will. I run it at work and at home and I always catch something. I try to remember to run each program at least once a week.

I hope this helps!

P.S. Google and Yahoo have good popup and spam catchers you can download with their toolbars.

there is a common spyware program out there called gator...."bundled" with programs such as eWallet, DateManager, WeatherScope, and PrecisionTime. this spyware moniters websites you visit and popup ads accordingly. go to http://pcpitstop.com/gator/default.asp for more info on gator, and most importantly how to get rid of it!!

One potential solution is to download and install the Mozilla Firefox browser and quit using MSFT Internet Explorer. Mozilla has built-in features (such as a pop-up blocker) which IMO make for a better and safer browser. It is pretty simple to install and it's free. The only downside is that a few websites are constructed assuming no one uses anything but IE.

We were also being bombarded with popups - to the point that it was nearly impossible to get anything done on here. But after talking to the IT guys at work, I also downloaded the Lavasoft AdoWare.... and it has helped tremendously. I'm also trying to remember to run it at LEAST every week. But if I see I'm getting popups starting again, I'll run it more often. It helped a LOT !! Good luck

One potential solution is to download and install the Mozilla Firefox browser and quit using MSFT Internet Explorer. Mozilla has built-in features (such as a pop-up blocker) which IMO make for a better and safer browser. It is pretty simple to install and it's free. The only downside is that a few websites are constructed assuming no one uses anything but IE.

I agree -- I use Mozilla Firefox at times, too. But Opera -- another free browser -- also can be set to reject all popups (and does!) and is much faster. I virtually NEVER use MS Internet Explorer.

No pop ups here either. I have Norton's Anti Virus and Firewall plus Ad Aware and Spybot.

Great recommendation. I have the same and have no problems. Both Ad Aware and Spybot are free. Norton's Anit Virus is the best investment you can make for your computer.

Archived