Aquapac for Cameras

lollyrn

I'm not sure that I am posting this in the right place, but I am considering getting the aquapac waterproof case for my camera instead of buying the disposable underwater cameras. Has anyone used this product and does it really work?

I don't know if Aquapac is a brand name -- if so I'm not familiar with it. I do have a waterproof housing for my camera (specific to the brand and model) and have used it for taking pictures while snorkeling (and husband while diving) with pretty good results.

You have to be very careful not to let any sand or grit or anything else get into the seal. If it seals properly, you're golden. If it does not seal properly, your camera will be toast.

So I guess in general it depends on whether you'd rather not have the bother and risk (slight but still) in exchange for being able to take a digital card full of photos (instead of being limited to whatever the disposable's # of exposures is).

Hope that's a little bit of help -- maybe others can elaborate.

For the previous poster, Aquapac cases are pretty much watertight plastic bags used for very shallow underwater use.

For the OP, are you snorkeling or diving? The Aquapac cases are only rated to 15 feet so if you do get one, keep that in mind. For short-term use, and if you're not serious into underwater photography, the case should be ok for your needs. If you're looking for something sturdy that will last, I would pass on the aquapac. Obviously the price of a 'real' housing would be many times that of an aquapac case depending on the model of your camera.

As an alternative, you might consider this:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_971/Context_965/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/AQUUWC7.html?Hit=1

What I like about this camera is that it's rated to 100' and is a reusable 35mm camera. Mine has gone through a few dozen rolls of film and is still kicking. It is about $19 at Leisurepro, but check Kmart - I bought one there for around 12 or $13 and is what I used until I bought a housing for my digital camera. It took great pictures, and the best part was that if it does flood, you're only out $13 instead of the hundreds you may have put into your above water camera.

I've heard people having success with Aquapac. I bought a DiCaPac off ebay, and am pleased with that.

Personally, I'm too spoiled by the quality and immediacy of digital to bother with underwater disposables or 35mms, but many people have gotten excellent results with those options.

I'm not sure that I am posting this in the right place, but I am considering getting the aquapac waterproof case for my camera instead of buying the disposable underwater cameras. Has anyone used this product and does it really work?

We used the smaller Aquapacs (key/creditcard size and the "fanny-pack" style) and they worked great--kept everything dry and they floated too. We are very pleased with them.

Archived