Transportation from ship to Orlando Airport

I returned last week from a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. The ship left and returned to Port Carnaveral. I almost didn't make my flight in Orlando and want to alert others who may be counting on Royal Caribbean's transportation package. I had a 12:12 p.m. flight and the travel agent insisted I could make it easily using the Royal Caribbean bus. It was the last flight I could get and still make the connections I needed to get home that day. I had changed the color of my baggage tags to a group that I was told would leave the ship at 8:10. Originally, I was given tags for a departure between 8;30 and 9:00. It is important to note that the form they give you about your departure plans does NOT ask how you will be getting to the airport - only what time your flight is. My group didn't get called to leave the ship until 8:30 and then there was a long line for Immigration. Getting my luggage took another 20 minutes. When I got to the bus area, one bus was just filling up and leaving. So I was sent to another bus, which only had four people on it. I should have taken my baggage and gone straight for a cab, despite the cost (about $90) and the $32 I had already paid Royal Caribbean for the transfer service. We sat there for 45 minutes while the bus filled. That put us at the Orlando Airport at 11 a.m. and the driver literally held us captive on the bus by closing the door until he (single-handedly) unloaded all the bags. I was standing on the front steps and practically screaming, "I have a flight in an hour." He and the Royal Caribbean representatives, standing uselessly nearby, did nothing. When he finally let us off the bus, I grabbed my bags and headed for curbside check-in, thinking it would be faster. The line at security was endless, filled with kids, strollers and all sort of carryon baggage. I was in a panic by this time (almost 11:45 a.m.) and asked the people ahead of me on line to let me go before them. They very graciously did and I made the flight with about 10 minutes to spare. I will never rely on RC transportation again. A cab is obviously more expensive but, if I missed my flight that day, it would have cost me a lot more for a hotel and change fees for the airlines.

I have read numerous threads where people talk about being able to make 10 or 11 am flights out of Orlando. The reality is that it CAN take time to get off the ship, go through Immigration, and then get to the airport.

If you do self-disembarkation, breeze through customs and have a private shuttle waiting you can be at MCO before 9 am. But if you're waiting for luggage then the shuttle it can be a lot longer, as your post attests. Plus, MCO can be a very busy airport, especially on Sundays when people from cruises and the resorts are returning home.

Next time you might want to consider a private shuttle. I used one for three of my family members last month and it was $70 one-way to the airport, plus they gave a tip. That's pretty cheap, and we had peace of mind that they would get there in time.

I agree with you 100%. I got to Florida a few days early and took a limo service to Cocoa Beach. It was great. I wanted to take a limo or cab from the ship but my travel agent insisted I would be on the first bus out. If there is a next time, I'm going with my gut feeling.

The people behind me on the bus kept telling me that you only need an hour to process through Orlando Airport. I found that pretty hard to believe and saw it was definitely not true with my own eyes.

Archived