Help! Bathroom Size Question on Star (upgrade to Jr Suite or not?)

New2Here

Hi everyone!

Please help.

We have just gotten great quotes on a last minute cruise on the Star to Alaska in July. It will be an anniversary cruise for us!

Roughly $400 separates the TOTAL cost between a Balcony Cabin (BE or better) and a Jr. Suite. We have read reviews here that the cabin bathrooms are snug in the balcony cabins. I know that the shower/tub in the suite is a little bigger, but I am concerned about the size of the room housing the commode. :o

Does anyone know if the "commode compartment" is bigger in the Jr. Suite? If it is, we will pay the extra money as we are larger folks and an extra $200 a piece for a little extra room is worth it. I have seen the photos someone posted of the vanity area in a Jr. Suite, but it looks like there are 2 small compartments off of it, one for the toilet and one for the tub/shower. I am just not sure how narrow the toilet "room" is.

I know everything is smaller and more compact on a ship, I just need to know, um :o HOW compact and if the balcony commode area is a good deal smaller than the jr. suite area.

Please let me know as soon as you can, as we need to book ASAP today to get the great deal!

This will be my first cruise and I can't wait! This board has been soooo helpful, I am anxious to go on the cruise and report back to hopefully help someone else!

Thankyou

Thankyou

Thankyou!

I have been in a BB and BA on the Star and an AF (mini-suite) on the Dawn (the exact sister ship to the Star) so let me try to help.

First I am assuming that by Jr. Suite, you mean an AF or AG. I know the facilities in AE and up are much nicer but don't have first hand experience there. (The BB and BA are exactly alike, just different areas of the ship)

The toilet area in the BB cabins is the same size as the AF cabins toilet area and I will admit, they are a little snug. The "tub" in an AF is actually very small. Personally I liked the shower in the BB/BA rooms better than the tub/shower in the AF (I felt we had more room without the tub). Vanity area in the bathroom is about the same as well.

But, I will say if you have a chance to upgrade from a BE all the way to and AF for $200, it might be worth it. First of all the AF is a larger cabin. Most are on Deck 11, much closer to many of the actitivites like the buffet, pool, card room, theater, Spa and Spinnaker Lounge. You get additional amenities like access to the concierge, robes and fresh fruit.

Hope this helps.

I have been in a BB and BA on the Star and an AF (mini-suite) on the Dawn (the exact sister ship to the Star) so let me try to help.

But, I will say if you have a chance to upgrade from a BE all the way to and AF for $200, it might be worth it. First of all the AF is a larger cabin. Most are on Deck 11, much closer to many of the actitivites like the buffet, pool, card room, theater, Spa and Spinnaker Lounge. You get additional amenities like access to the concierge, robes and fresh fruit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! It DOES help a great deal. We decided to go for the suite as it is an anniversary. We are getting an AG "gaurantee", hopefully we will score an upgrade. We did let them know that it is our anniversary and that it is our first cruise, so you never know. With insurance, the total went up to a little over $500 more total (not per person) and we got 2 coupon books and a romance package, so it is not so bad. We figured you only live once.

;)

Thank you so much for the response, I am off to scour the forum for tips to make the cruise even better!

:D

Thank you again!

We are getting an AG "gaurantee", hopefully we will score an upgrade. We did let them know that it is our anniversary and that it is our first cruise, so you never know. With insurance, the total went up to a little over $500 more total (not per person) and we got 2 coupon books and a romance package, so it is not so bad. We figured you only live once.

Since there are only 4 AG's on the Star, you stand a very good chance to be upgraded to an AF.

The coupon book should have a coupon for a 2 for 1 dinner at the specialty restaurants. With two books and two of you, that will help for two nights! I suggest Cagney's and LeBistro.

I love the Star, my favorite ship in the fleet.

Since there are only 4 AG's on the Star, you stand a very good chance to be upgraded to an AF.

The coupon book should have a coupon for a 2 for 1 dinner at the specialty restaurants. With two books and two of you, that will help for two nights! I suggest Cagney's and LeBistro.

I love the Star, my favorite ship in the fleet.

Thank you for the hope of an upgrade! :D

One of the perks of the "Romance" package is that we get dinner in LeBistro and a bottle of wine. So, we will get to do LeBistro. Yay!

Cagney's looks great. Crab Cakes....mmmmmmm!

Thanks again for the help!

:D

The 2 for 1 dinner coupons I have seen were only good for the first night of the cruise, so check out the coupon book and share the extra coupon with a new friend if you won't be able to use both of them. :)

I don't know if this will help or not, but someone has actually filmed what a bathroom in a mini-suite on the Star looks like, and then posted it on youtube!

Here's the link:

Hope that helps!

I don't know if this will help or not, but someone has actually filmed what a bathroom in a mini-suite on the Star looks like, and then posted it on youtube!

Here's the link:

Hope that helps!

ROTFL! Unbelievable!!!

YAY soli and YAY YouTube!

That answers a lot of questions. Might be tight, but at least we are in a suite, right?

Thanks!

You will love your mini suite! We liked the extra room and general layout of the cabin.

The commode compartment is a bit small, not a lot of room to move. I used the bathtub once for a soak, and I am a size 16-18.

Make sure to try La Trattoria, it was our favorite. Aqua was our favorite of the main dining rooms.

We loved our romance package and our 2 bon voyage baskets.

Wait till the end of the cruise when the prices drop and visit the spa and the facilities (couples massage?).

Enjoy your anniversary.

flowerchild, thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice! :D

cruisingfromMN, I have to admit, I have already seen your pics! :o

As a matter of fact, the research I did on these boards gave us the boost we needed to try a cruise AND your pics helped us decide on a mini suite! :D

Because of all the info here, we decided to do the cruise a week ago and I have been smiling ever since! I know most of you plan a year in advance, I am just running to catch up as we leave on 7/7!

On a side note, I belong to a couple of online communities and I have to say that the members here are all incredibly friendly, knowlegeable and helpful! The responses in this thread and others I have read really shows you are all a great group of people! I am SO happy I found this board and hope that you all have great vacations. I am so glad I stopped being a lurker and joined. I wish you all fantastic trips!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Archived