Anyone get close to Hubbard & see Calfing in 2007?

tapia

I posted this on the Alaska board too, but I thought it could get some responses here.

I've been reading that the ships haven't gotten close enough to see any calfing at all.

Has anyone been close that's gone in 2007?

If it's a timing issue, when do you think the ships will move in closer?

Thank you!

I posted this on the Alaska board too, but I thought it could get some responses here.

I've been reading that the ships haven't gotten close enough to see any calfing at all.

Has anyone been close that's gone in 2007?

If it's a timing issue, when do you think the ships will move in closer?

Thank you!

There was too much ice in Yakutat bay to get close to the glacier in May (about 2-3 miles). However, we were on Summit in September and pulled right up to the face of the glacier probably less than a quarter mile. Plenty of calving.

We were there late May of 07 and we were not able to get very close at all. There was way too much ice for the ship to get up close and personal with the glacier. However my wife and I spent several hours on deck going in and out of the bay and were able to see and photograph several Orcas. So that made the day memorable all the same.

On Mercury. We were so close you could feel the cold air just seeping toward you. The blueness of the ice was almost blinding. The photos we took all came out with a blue overcast on them. And the calving....WOW. It was like thunder and huge chunks of glacier just sliding off the sides.

It was TOTALLY amazing.

Can't speak about spring and summer cruises, but we're going back again in September 09'

Dave:eek:

Tapia,

Just visited Hubbard on 13 JUN w/Infinity. Closest approach was 6-7 miles from glacier face. Good for long distance photos & video but not calving.

Same issue as above posters...too much ice in bay in front of glacier.

However we had a terrific day weather wise and the view was spectacular!

Enjoy your trip....

tommy

Archived