Eden Rock Snorkel - Advice Please!!!

KK41

Any advise/experience with snorkeling at Eden Rock????? We sail the Conquest 7/1 and BF is an experienced diver and will be snorkeling with us. Myself, son & daughter have never snorkeled so please any and all advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Karen

We were just in Grand Cayman and watched people snorkel at Eden Rock while we waited for our tour to start. The people all said it was really good, but you had to swim a ways out off shore. It's so convenient to walk to, only about three minutes from where the tender lets you off. While we waited we saw about ten very large tarpon swimming right at the shoreline.

We were just in Grand Cayman and watched people snorkel at Eden Rock while we waited for our tour to start. The people all said it was really good, but you had to swim a ways out off shore. It's so convenient to walk to, only about three minutes from where the tender lets you off. While we waited we saw about ten very large tarpon swimming right at the shoreline.

Thanks so much for your response! The more info I get, the more excited I am about snorkeling. I might even consider the beginners scuba dive. BF says I will really enjoy diving and maybe we can take a dive vacation to Belize..... HMMMMMM, guess for a vacation, I better learn........lol!

Oops sorry for the double post!!!!

Lots of pictures of Eden Rock and more on Zydecocruiser's website:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/zc_cruise_page.htm

Scroll down until you get to Grand Cayman. Looks like all of the GC links have some pictures from Eden Rock sooner or later.

There are two dive shops at Eden Rock. Snorkel vests are available as are some boat trips. It doesn't take much space to dock a boat.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/images/Eden%20Staff_Boat.jpg

But contact them for what might be available (actually I think it was a different thread that was asking).

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

The other one is Abanks @ Paradise Restaurant. Their website seems to be unavailable at the moment, but they exist and is the closest location from the tender docks.

I think their website is:

http://www.abanks.com/

I snorkeled there a couple months ago and had a great time. As another poster said, it is very close to the pier. You can rent snorkel equipment right there. I rented the mask, tube and fins plus a locker for my stuff since I was alone and I think it cost $18. They have a little changing room which was perfect since I didn't want to go back to the ship or walk around in a wet bathing suit. It is very rocky so make sure you bring water shoes. The water was nice and clear and there were fish around, especially the big tarpons. There were a lot of people there but everyone was in and out of the water so in no way was it crowded and that was with the Freedom and three other ships in port. Have a great time!

Anybody know what time Eden Rock starts renting equipment? We are planning on going to Seven Mile Beach but we thought we might try this first. We have our own snorkel equipment but would need life jackets since my DH doesn't swim very well. Also, do you have to swim out very far to see a lot of "sea life"?

Anybody know what time Eden Rock starts renting equipment? We are planning on going to Seven Mile Beach but we thought we might try this first. We have our own snorkel equipment but would need life jackets since my DH doesn't swim very well. Also, do you have to swim out very far to see a lot of "sea life"?

I'm not sure what time they open but it literally is like a three minute walk from the pier. So if they aren't open yet, at least you won't have gone too far. As for the sea life, I was sitting on the steps to the water putting my fins on and there was a big tarpon by my feet. You'll see sea life as soon as you get in the water.

Nomarman5--Thanks for the info! When we went to GC before we didn't have much time left for the shops after our stingray excursion so I didn't even notice this place. We were looking for something different to do this time so we may have to give this a try :)

I'm sure snorkel vests are available for rental at both dive shops - but I would guess they might charge $5-$7+ for just the vest (or $12-$15 for the whole package).

Inexpensive snorkel vests are available for about $30 +/- on the Internet, don't take up much room in a suitcase, and weigh almost nothing.

My family loved Eden Rock ~ we went in February and saw HUGE fish as soon as we got in the water:eek: ... Def. bring water shoes, rocky steps to get into the water... Def. rent a vest - the day we went the water was choppy and you can get really tired!! AWESOME!! We loved Cayman, did the turtle farm, margaritaville (ok) and ended the day @ Eden!:D I am heading back to GC in July and heading back!!

for all interested.....I emailed Eden Rock and got their rental rates in US Dollars. $14.00 includes Mask/Fins/Snorkel & Snorkel Vest

They also have lockers available for rent. I also emailed them tonight to find out their hours of operation. Will post when I get a response. If anyone would like the info Eden Rock sent me, please email me at karen.farnsworth@us.army.mil and I will forward the attachments.

Happy Cruzin!:D

Karen

Archived