Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Gayman. Which is not to miss for snorkeling?

krisj

We love to snorkel. I have no problem jumping off a boat in deep water to snorkel, although I'd snorkel from the beach if it was worth it. At the same time, I'd like to try something different since we'll be at the above 4 ports on our cruise. I would like to see Maya ruins. So, now I'm not sure which site to give up on snorkeling for Maya ruins or some other non-snorkel adventure.

So, which port can I skip the snorkeling for something else?

Thanks!

My vote is Cozumel. I'm a scuba diver, and the diving there is fabulous. There's great drifts, which keeps you from tiring out. Lots of beautiful colors to see. When we were on our cruise there, the non-divers went snorkeling and said it was awesome. SOOOO many fish. As for tour operators, there are many operators waiting at the pier for passengers to get off. They offer good prices and will be much cheaper than through the ship, as per the usual.

We also went out to one of the Cayes, Goff's Cay, in Belize and snorkeled. It was pretty good. Not too many fish to see from what I remember, but the corals were big, colorful, and beautiful. We also had time to relax on the beach and have ourselves a drink. You have the option here of staying on the beach the whole time, or going snorkeling for the first part. We went with an operator that we just signed up with at the pier. They had a little brown wooden stand right on the pier (think ticket booth size).

In Grand Caymen we did a Snorkel/Stingray city excursion with Captain Marvin's. The snorkeling was really good there too. And Stingray City is not to be missed. It's quite an experience. Captain Marvin's was great and there weren't too many people in our boat, unlike the cattle boats that bring in the cruise ship passengers who sign up through the excursion desk.

We didn't really venture from the direct port area at Costa Maya, but it didn't seem to me like there was much snorkeling or anything around the port. If there's Mayan Ruins there, I would suggest doing them at this port, as there wasn't much else.

Hope I was able to help!

We did the Mayan ruins in Costa Maya... and I think that was the best bet...

We dove in Cozumel and Belize... did the sting ray sand bar in Grand Caymans... and thought that was awesome.. Diving in Cozumel and Belize was incredible!! So I would suggest snorkeling in Cozumel and Grand Caymans.

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back from a vacation at Grand Cayman. We took a boat trip with Capt. Marvin Tours to a great reef and Stingray City. We loved it! If you don't have time for a boat tour, you can take a taxi to Smith's Cove, about 1 mile from Georgetown, and snorkel from the beach. The reef follows the shoreline to the left. We had a great time there, it was cheap and easy to get to. Have fun!

I've done all your sites, several times, except Costa Maya. Many people rave about the reef in Belize -- and certainly it is very nice -- but my own experience has always been that Cozumel was even better for the fish. I think the suggestion to skip Costa Maya is exactly correct.

Bill

Cozumel has been our favorite snorkeling site of the ones you mentioned. We snorkeled last Sept. in Costa Maya..........not a lot of fish and color, and water was pretty rough. Go to the Chaccoben ruins there.............

We're have an upcoming, somewhat similar trip to yours: (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya).

I booked it specifically for the 3 great snorkel stops (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize) and for the chance to see the Chacchoben ruins in Costa Maya. I have family that's snorkeled at Coz several times and rave about it.

Costa Maya and Belize for Mayan ruins not to be missed. Cozumel and Grand Cayman are both great snorkel islands, though I like to shop and of course have mexican food and margaritas in Cozumel (after diving of course). You also didn't say how much time you had on each. That will make a difference as well.

Randall

All these ports are excellent for snorkeling/diving. If you want to skip one to visit a Mayan temple/ruin make it Costa Maya.

The best Mayan ruin is Tulum, but it's a long, hot day trip from Cozumel to Tulum. Save it for a cruise that docks at either Calica or Playa del Carmen. Your itinerary (and most of your day) from Cozumel:

Bus, ferry, bus, bus, ferry, bus.

I agree that Tulum is the best accessible Mayan site from Costa Maya. However, it is closer to Cozumel than your Costa Maya port. Now, if a tour to Tulum also took in some interesting sites in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve (the entire length of which you would be passing on the way to Tulum), that might be very interesting.

Bill

I agree that Tulum is the best accessible Mayan site from Costa Maya. However, it is closer to Cozumel than your Costa Maya port. Now, if a tour to Tulum also took in some interesting sites in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve (the entire length of which you would be passing on the way to Tulum), that might be very interesting.

Bill

Hi all,

I've done Tulum and 2 other Mayan ruins in Belize but I found Kohunlich (it was a Mayan city for its citzens instead of a religious center), not far from Costa Maya, one of the better sites. A pyramid with Mayan faces, a ball court, an observatory and lots a large courtyard I thought it was much better than Tulum. Might want to research both.

Randall

ball_court.jpg.9ffad2834eea586b7ad77447b2054ac6.jpg

face-pyramid.jpg.53dc0a203fe80f6e3465a3cbb2aa92c2.jpg

mayan-pyramid.jpg.cfc8056175cc621bf75dee22a74b2a09.jpg

Archived