Wheelchair ?

We are going on an Alaskan cruise this August. My mom is coming with us, however, she has some difficultly walking long distances. I was thinking of renting a wheelchair for the week that we are on the cruise, however, I am concerned about the hallways on the ship and how narrow they actually are. Anyone have any experience with people in wheelchairs on cruise ships?

The hallways are wide enough for wheelchairs. Since you will be visiting primarily Amreican ports you should have no problem getting around with a wheel chair due to the ADA requirements. Unfortunately this is not true for the Caribbean whre they do not have to comply with the ADA rules.

Thanks for the reply. This is our first cruise ever so really not sure what to expect. I remember reading a post a while ago and people were commenting about people using strollers for their kids and there not being enough room in the hallways for people to get by so I was getting kind of anxious about the whole wheelchair thing. My mom is certainly not totally wheelchair bound, however, she has arthritis in her knees and ankles so walking for a long time really is not an option for her. I just want my mom to have a wonderful cruise experience as she has never been on a vacation her whole entire life (she's 71) so I am really excited about being able to take her on a cruise.

Are you going to get a powered chair or a push chair? I took my 90 year old Dad last year on Sovereign and only had a few problems. His powered chair had a problem getting on and off and needed a push. We rented a push chair for Nassau and I'm glad we did as the gang plank and the streets and sidewalks were not wheelchair friendly. :(

I got a ton of good info from the disabilities section of CC. I suggest you go there and you probably can get specific info about the particular itinerary and ship. Be aware that many people will not cut you any slack when it comes to the elevators. That was my biggest complaint as it seemed that most people were very friendly and accomodating everywhere else. Go figure.

Good luck!

Are you going to get a powered chair or a push chair? I took my 90 year old Dad last year on Sovereign and only had a few problems. His powered chair had a problem getting on and off and needed a push. We rented a push chair for Nassau and I'm glad we did as the gang plank and the streets and sidewalks were not wheelchair friendly. :(

I got a ton of good info from the disabilities section of CC. I suggest you go there and you probably can get specific info about the particular itinerary and ship. Be aware that many people will not cut you any slack when it comes to the elevators. That was my biggest complaint as it seemed that most people were very friendly and accomodating everywhere else. Go figure.

Good luck!

I am renting a push wheelchair. It's basically going to be for any time that we will be walking for a long distance. For short excursions on the ship she will walk, it will just take a little longer for her to walk the distance. I will definitely check out the disabilities section. The ship we are going on is Serenade of the Seas.

Thanks again for the great info....52 days and counting down Yeah!!!

Your mom's condition sounds similar to my wife's. She has artificial hips and bad knees. Distance is the problem when we travel. She uses a No Boundaries Featherlite Deluxe scooter. This scooter folds up like a baby stroller, has very good battery life, and takes her virtually anywhere. She's used it on numerous trips, including an Alaskan cruise, she's gone all around London, Paris and Rome and Florence with no problems. I really recommend you look into a portable scooter. It will be easier for your mom, she'll have more independence than relying on you to push her, and it will be easier for you as well. There are several different brands and models on the market.

Your mom's condition sounds similar to my wife's. She has artificial hips and bad knees. Distance is the problem when we travel. She uses a No Boundaries Featherlite Deluxe scooter. This scooter folds up like a baby stroller, has very good battery life, and takes her virtually anywhere. She's used it on numerous trips, including an Alaskan cruise, she's gone all around London, Paris and Rome and Florence with no problems. I really recommend you look into a portable scooter. It will be easier for your mom, she'll have more independence than relying on you to push her, and it will be easier for you as well. There are several different brands and models on the market.

That's what I love about this board...all the great advice. I will definitely check into the electric scooter, as that does sound much easier for everyone involved. I want to make everything as simple as possible for my mom so that she can have a wonderful experience and not feel like she's holding the rest of us back by her limited mobility.

We just completed our second cruise traveling with my parents in May on the Explorer. My father, 76 uses a walker for short distances, but needs a chair for anything longer. We purchased a transport chair for him for the first cruise for about $135.00 and it has been wonderful to have. We have used it numerous times at home as well. A transport chair has small wheels, so there always has to be someone to push the chair. It is light, folds easily and we check it along with our luggage.

I hope you made RCI aware that someone in your party has a disability. They will put your name on a list, so when you arrive they are ready for you. They are staffed to help and will provide you with a wheelchair to use when you arrive at the port and someone to push the chair through the check in process. They will even take you to your cabin before leaving to go help someone else. We always give a tip as it is a great help.

We love cruising and wanted to give our parents a vacation filled with wonderful memories. We were unsure the first time how the walker and wheelchair would be on a cruise ship. The hallways, ourdoor decks, dining rooms, and everywhere we went was accessible. Other passengers were usually very nice and always moved aside or moved over in the elevators. When making the reservation our TA noted the wheelchair also for dining. In the dining room we have been close to the entrance on both cruises as the space can be a little tight trying to maneuver a chair through the maze of tables.

One of the ports we visited this last cruise was Labadee. It is basically a day at the beach. My father was so concerned about mobility, he wanted to stay on the ship. The staff assured him he would be able to get around even in a wheelchair. RCI had sand wheelchairs waiting for anyone that needed them. I had never seen anything like it! Needless to say, he had the time of his life, relaxing in his sand wheelchair on the sandy beach in Labadee. He has not stopped talking about it and will never forget it and either will I! I can tell you RCI has done a wonderful job for people with disabilities.

As far as the ports, that is something you will need to research, as most of them are not wheelchair friendly.

We wish you and your family a wonderful time and hope you come home with wonderful memories!

Archived