Playa del Carmen

Yazoo cruiser

We have been to Cozumel many times and this year we are also stopping at Play del Carmen. I was hoping someone could give me some information on what excursions are available and what you would reccomend. We are sailing on the Holiday on 9/11 out of New Orleans. Also , how do the beaches compare to Cozumel. Thanks in advance.

Hi Yazoo. Your best bet would be: Go to the top of this forum, click on "Cruise Critic Msg. Boards" and scroll down to Playa del Carmen. TONS of info there. You'll get lots more there than I could possibly tell you. :)

On the fast boat ride, Playa is just across the channel from Cozumel. The beaches are pretty much the same...pretty water, pretty sand, pretty place.

If a tour of Tulum ruins are available it's very interesting to see the only Mayan ruin on the coastline. Beautiful photo op and guides who are part Mayan and very proud and knowlegable about their heritage.

Combine maybe with a trip to Xel-Ha (shell-ha) or Xcaret (ish-ka-ret), two eco/archeological parks nearby. Xcaret is VERY touristy, but fun...and crowded. Xel-Ha is more natural, not quite as crowded.

You could also take a taxi into Playa and walk along 5th Avenue. Pedestrian only for most of it's length, it's a great place to shop, eat, and people watch.

Have fun!

I just reviewed my credit card receipt for this past January. The total bill (minus gas) was $61.36 for a one day car rental from Executive. It was an air conditioned compart car with stick shift. Open air jeeps cost more; why I don't know.

We went first to Tulum and were ahead of the tour buses. Going to the farthest site first would have given us time to attend to car problems, but we had none. The admission fee was nominal.

The road was very drivable and in good condition. Most slower drivers move to the shoulder (paved) to allow faster traffic to pass. North of Playa, toward Cancun, the road is four lane.

From Tulum we went to Playa and used public beaches. I don't know if your ship tenders at Playa or docks at Calica. There's not much at Calica, but it is only about ten miles south of Playa. The traffic can move slowly there and you need to be aware of that as you time your return to the ship.

Archived