wearing contacts while snorkeling

hockeymom97

Does anyone else wear their contacts while snorkeling? I keep seeing people recommending prescription masks so you can see while snorkeling, but I have always just worn my contacts and have never had a problem. Have I just been lucky with my mask fitting well?

I wear soft contacts and have never had a problem -- specifically asked my eye doctor about it and he said it was fine. Also researched online and it is common, even for scuba divers.

I prefer it to an Rx mask because my prescription changes, and I can use the contacts under wrap around sunglasses for sports and reading outdoors (would look pretty funny trying that with a mask on)!

The one time I did get a drop of salt water in my eye, I just let the natural tear response wash it out -- contact stayed put. I hadn't tried contacts in a long time, and I was AMAZED by how much more comfortable they have gotten.

Same here. I always travel with two extra pairs (learned my lesson while on a long trip, I had already changed into my spare pair and then ripped one!). Sometimes if I have a pair I've been wearing for a while, I'll use those for snorkeling and save my fresh ones until I'm back on land. I've never had a problem really.

Just be careful not to get a piece of sand behind the lens.. it can cause problems... after the day in the water, be sure to flush your eyes and contacts really well... my DD tends to keep hers in but after being in the water, I ALWAYS make her wash them.

I used to wear hard lenses and always had such a hard time with them snorkeling. Once I had to swim back to the snorkeling boat to take the darn things out and then swim back to catch up with the rest of the excursion. Needless to say, two months later I started the process of Lasik surgery. I always envied soft contact lens wearers because they never seemed to have the problems I did but I couldn't use them.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Since I haven't had any problems so far I think I'm just going to keep on snorkeling with my lenses in. But I am going to start bringing along 2 sets of extras - that was a great suggestion - normally I just bring one on vacation but I think having another when snorkleing is probably a safer bet.

Definitely looking forward to snorkeling in Grand Cayman this Nov! :D Anyone have recommendations on the best beach for snorkeling in GC? I'll have my son with me who doesn't like to snorkel and he'll probably want to stay on the beach - so I'm not looking for a tour - just a good beach where I can swim out.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Since I haven't had any problems so far I think I'm just going to keep on snorkeling with my lenses in. But I am going to start bringing along 2 sets of extras - that was a great suggestion - normally I just bring one on vacation but I think having another when snorkleing is probably a safer bet.

Definitely looking forward to snorkeling in Grand Cayman this Nov! :D Anyone have recommendations on the best beach for snorkeling in GC? I'll have my son with me who doesn't like to snorkel and he'll probably want to stay on the beach - so I'm not looking for a tour - just a good beach where I can swim out.

We liked the snorkeling at Eden Rock.

Archived