QE 2 historical book

Tricyrtis

Just got a copy of "QE2" by Ronald Warwick & William Flayhart III, 1st edition, 1985, W.W. Norton, publisher. Autographed by William Flayhart III....in great condition! Got it at a local used book store -- is this a "treasure" or not???

Brent :rolleyes:

Just got a copy of "QE2" by Ronald Warwick & William Flayhart III, 1st edition, 1985, W.W. Norton, publisher. Autographed by William Flayhart III....in great condition! Got it at a local used book store -- is this a "treasure" or not???

Brent :rolleyes:

Very much so! I got mine on board last January and had it signed by the Commodore!

It's a wonderful book. I'm at work and I have it with me!

Karie,

who also has the QM2 book and John Maxtone Graham's The Only Way To Cross. Hey! I might get bored!

Karie, do you recall meeting Cornus and me (Jack and Brent) on the Labor Day 2006 QM2, .. We joined you and Maria (loved that tiara!!) at the meet-up in the Commodore Lounge on Deck 9?-- I just may bring my "treasure" and have the Commodore autograph it.... LOL.... The book makes very interesting reading... We did our first cruise on the QE2 in October 1992(?)...when the restaurant was still the Columbia!

Karie, do you recall meeting Cornus and me (Jack and Brent) on the Labor Day 2006 QM2, .. We joined you and Maria (loved that tiara!!) at the meet-up in the Commodore Lounge on Deck 9?-- I just may bring my "treasure" and have the Commodore autograph it.... LOL.... The book makes very interesting reading... We did our first cruise on the QE2 in October 1992(?)...when the restaurant was still the Columbia!

Well, of course! But now I will have to pull out my pics and ID you!

(hmm, were you on the left in the group pic? Sort of in the back? from memory. I am at work, so not near my pics!)

Remember, the Commodore (Warwick) is retired. But I wonder if he will be on any of the farewell trips. I would wager he might, since he was the Master of QE2 before he was assigned to see the QM2's building progress, and his father was the Master of QE2 also!

I can't believe you lucked into that book!

I have to try to call her. She's been having it rough lately- Prez of her coop and they are getting a new roof, plus construction next door. Everything that could go wrong has. She was supposed to call me Monday, but did not call. I'm working evenings this week.

Karie,

friend of the Queen who was on the queen.

P.S. Was one of you suffering mal de mer the first day? I'm getting old! memory's not as good as it was!

P.S. Was one of you suffering mal de mer the first day? I'm getting old! memory's not as good as it was!

Neither of us was suffering mal de mer that day...we're veteran cruisers! ;) After doing many TA's on the QE2, we were used to that bit of a Nor'easter. Hope Maria is doing well and that we will meet up again on a future cruise.

Neither of us was suffering mal de mer that day...we're veteran cruisers! ;) After doing many TA's on the QE2, we were used to that bit of a Nor'easter. Hope Maria is doing well and that we will meet up again on a future cruise.

But did Ihave you standing in the right place? I have to get out the pics. I have apicture in my mind's eye!

Karie,

Trying to talk Maria into the Oct 31 Carib on QM2.

We have to get her a roomie That single supp is just too dear!)

An excellent book on QE2's conception and birthing pains is QE2 QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 The Authorised Story by Neil Potter and Jack Frost 1969 G. Harrap & Co. Ltd.

Agree entirely - and being contemporary to the introduction does not yet have the 'spun' 'what is she named after' PR story. It also shows how amazing it was that the QE2 got built at all - the 'great' Cunard was basically in freefall.....

Another excellent one which puts the QE2 in context of other ships built at the same time (Canberra, Oriana) is Philip Dawson's 'British Superliners of the Sixties'.

Both of these books offer a wider perspective than Warwicks - which is good nonetheless, but nearer hagiography than critique......

Peter

Just wanted to say I now have a used copy of The Only Way To Cross, 1972 edition. Not all the books I've got are about ships crashing, sinking, or catching fire.

And on the inside someone put a sticky paper with his name and phone #. Am I supposed to give him a jingle? Mind, there's no area code to know where in the US to actually call.

PS: I'm envious of your 1st edition, Tricyrtis. I love getting those whenever possible.

Just wanted to say I now have a used copy of The Only Way To Cross, 1972 edition. Not all the books I've got are about ships crashing, sinking, or catching fire.

And on the inside someone put a sticky paper with his name and phone #. Am I supposed to give him a jingle? Mind, there's no area code to know where in the US to actually call.

PS: I'm envious of your 1st edition, Tricyrtis. I love getting those whenever possible.

My copy is sitting right here beside me at work.

Take the phone number. Put in possible area codes where you bought the book, then do a White Pages reverse look-up to see if the name matches! Sticky paper wasn't invented in 1972! It was probably put in there recently!

Karie,

who knows phone stuff!

Archived