beaches -make up their minds!

floridalady

you have to read this-I wrote the courtyard hotel in grand cayman---I AM COMING BY CRUISE SHIP AND HEARD i COULD PURCHASE A DAY PASS TO USE THE BEACH AND YOUR LOUNGE CHAIRS.iS THIS TRUE?IF SO HOW MUCH AND HOW DO I OBTAIN THIS?>>THANK YOU SO MUCH, they replied---Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.We were able to locate the following information regarding the day pass at the hotel:You are able to use the services at this hotel when you pay half of the day rate. This will accommodate up to four people. If the hotel is busy during the time that you want to do this, you should call in advance. If the hotel is not in their busy season you do not need to call in advance.Please be aware that the beach that the guests use when they stay at the hotel is a public beach. You do not need to be a guest at the hotel to use the beach.ore information regarding this hotel's facilities and services may be found at the webpage below:http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/gcmcy-courtyard-grand-cayman/ and then I recieved this------ Thank you for your reply. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.We apologize, as the information provided in our previous response was in error. We spoke with the Courtyard Grand Cayman in regards to day passes, as stated by the hotel, the hotel does not offer day passes.If we can be of further assistance, we invite you to reply to this email.Thank you for choosing Marriott.Regards,Jeff HughesMarriott Internet Customer Care what is the story??????

First, there are two hotels to keep in mind.

I think in the first instance you got information relevant for the Marriott Beach Resort even though they sent a link for the Courtyard by Marriott. The Marriott Beach Resort is located directly on the beach. The Courtyard by Marriott is several miles further from the port and is located across the road from the beach.

All beaches in the Cayman Islands are public. That's right... ALL. The Crown owns the beach from the water's edge to the mean high water mark. Above the mean high water mark is where private property begins. The distinction is sufficiently vague that little is done to enforce private property closer to the water than the vegetation line.

If you want to show up, rent a chair, buy some lunch, and use the bathrooms at the beach across from the Courtyard by Marriott, then you do not need to call ahead any time of the year. No problem.

If you want a room for the day, access to swimming pools, gyms, or other resort amenities then you need to make advance arrangements with whichever hotel you choose.

GC has anywhere from 1-10 ships a day in port (there are a couple of days where there are none). This is a lot of people getting off the ships, and trying to find facilities.

These hotels/condos have to put their guests that are paying for a room ahead of people that are on the island for a day. This probably wasn't a huge issue not too long ago...but now with the number of ships that arrive daily, this has changed things.

I don't know why you received two different replys. But I think these people are struggling with how to balance this all out. They want to make sure if their hotel guests want a chair, they can find one. But again, they know that they have a lot and can probably sell a few day passes and this won't be an issue.

You might think about Sea Grape or Royal Palms. They offer food, restrooms, chair rentals, water toy rentals. You just grab a cab at the port, and they'll drop you off there.

Have a great time! We love GC. :)

Archived