Whistler, Canada

Whistler is a 2 hour very scenic drive north of Vancouver through the coastal mountains.

Whistler is a world class resort (such as Vail, Aspen, Swiss Alps) with golf courses, hiking & biking trails, heli sightseeing, a resort village with street entertainment, shops, restaurants, bars, lounges etc. You can take a lift up either or both Blackcomb & Whistler mountain. There are numberous lodgings that range from hostel to luxury.

A trip to Whistler is well worth it and I know you will enjoy it. Your options are to rent a car, take a train or bus (or go 1 way on each), or book a tour.

Hope this helps you.

whistler is a great excursion... the drive back home towards the coast is even more spectacular than the drive up (which is spectacular enough)

there are some great stops between vancouver and whistler as well as whistler itself.

if you're taking a car up, our favourite place to stay (after sampling many) is the marriott residence inn... a great location up the hill from the village (you need a car..or take the village transportation) rooms are great, you're right in the wilderness, prices are very reasonable this time of year (around $100 USD/night) + a good (hot) buffet breakfast is included. http://www.whistler-marriott.com/suites-studio.htm

if you don't have a car, it's likely best to stay in the village itself. the choices are many...depends on your price range

There are many nice hotels in Whistler, I am sold on the Pan Pacific as it is not only a full service hotel but you get a small kitchen also. Now I have only been to Whistler to ski and the Pan Pacific is the best location for skiing but not sure if other hotels are in a better location for summer, closer to golf course? We took the shuttle bus between Vancouver and Whistller but when we went Greyhound also served the route at a much cheaper price.

Thank you all so much. We are planning on flying into Vancouver 2 nights ahead of our Princess tour of Vancouver and Victoria. Renting a car and driving to Whistler for 2 nights sounds like something we should do. I appreciate all the information. I love to shop, sounds like they have shopping, right?

Marilee

yep. along with all that has been mentioned they have "Great" shopping. It's a world class trap for those types that need to shop. :D

bring lots of money

That would be me. Thanks so much.

Whistler is fantastic! My younger brother and I spent 3 days there last year before our Alaska cruise and absolutely loved it! Lots of things to do. I highly recommend the ziptrek ziplining. It was fabulous! Also, take the ski lift to the top of the mountain...it is gorgeous up there! We stayed at the Delta Whistler Suites. It was great. Not only did it have a living room, bedroom, and kitchen, but also a washer and dryer in the room! This is the only hotel I have ever seen this in. It was very nice to be able to start our cruise with no dirty laundry, of course this would have been better at the end of the vacation, but c'est la vie!:o

Whistler was so much fun. I was there last August and didn't want to leave. Unfortunately, the weather was so hot that I didn't get to do what I really wanted to -- glacier hiking. But I did get to go to the mountaintop. The ride up on the ski lifts was absolutely gorgeous. We even saw a bear. Up on the mountain, we just hiked around. There was this deal where it was cheaper if you bought a two-day deal up the mountain.

Other things we did: ziplining, horseback riding (it was fun, except the horses were kind of dull. They were so accustomed to the trail that we didn't have to do anything, except make sure they didn't stop to graze), spa, souvenir shopping, nature hikes.

We spent five days there, and it wasn't enough!

Whistler is fantastic! My younger brother and I spent 3 days there last year before our Alaska cruise and absolutely loved it! Lots of things to do. I highly recommend the ziptrek ziplining. It was fabulous! Also, take the ski lift to the top of the mountain...it is gorgeous up there! We stayed at the Delta Whistler Suites. It was great. Not only did it have a living room, bedroom, and kitchen, but also a washer and dryer in the room! This is the only hotel I have ever seen this in. It was very nice to be able to start our cruise with no dirty laundry, of course this would have been better at the end of the vacation, but c'est la vie!:o

Thanks for the information. I assume your cruise was out of Vancouver? How did you get to Whistler?

Whistler was so much fun. I was there last August and didn't want to leave. Unfortunately, the weather was so hot that I didn't get to do what I really wanted to -- glacier hiking. But I did get to go to the mountaintop. The ride up on the ski lifts was absolutely gorgeous. We even saw a bear. Up on the mountain, we just hiked around. There was this deal where it was cheaper if you bought a two-day deal up the mountain.

Other things we did: ziplining, horseback riding (it was fun, except the horses were kind of dull. They were so accustomed to the trail that we didn't have to do anything, except make sure they didn't stop to graze), spa, souvenir shopping, nature hikes.

We spent five days there, and it wasn't enough!

Thanks so much. This sounds like something I definately want to do.

Thanks for the information. I assume your cruise was out of Vancouver? How did you get to Whistler?

We took the Whistler Mountaineer. It was great. We did a land tour through RCI before our cruise and they were great. They picked us up at the airport (in a limo, which amused my brother to no end!), spent one night at the Marriott in Vancouver then they picked us up early the next morning and brought us to the train. On the train we had a nice breakfast...all cold stuff, but lots of fresh fruit and croisssant sandwhiches, very tasty. The guide on the train was very entertaining. There was also a part of the train that was open so you could see better and we spent most of our time on that because the views were amazing. It took a few hours (if I remember correctly) to get up there, but the ride was definately worth it. On the way back to Vancouver the day the ship left we were picked up in a motor coach and the driver stopped a few places on the way back, Shannon Falls and Mount Tantulus. Both very nice stops...but they didn't stop for food so by the time we got on the ship we were so ready to hit the buffet!

We took the Whistler Mountaineer. It was great. We did a land tour through RCI before our cruise and they were great. They picked us up at the airport (in a limo, which amused my brother to no end!), spent one night at the Marriott in Vancouver then they picked us up early the next morning and brought us to the train. On the train we had a nice breakfast...all cold stuff, but lots of fresh fruit and croisssant sandwhiches, very tasty. The guide on the train was very entertaining. There was also a part of the train that was open so you could see better and we spent most of our time on that because the views were amazing. It took a few hours (if I remember correctly) to get up there, but the ride was definately worth it. On the way back to Vancouver the day the ship left we were picked up in a motor coach and the driver stopped a few places on the way back, Shannon Falls and Mount Tantulus. Both very nice stops...but they didn't stop for food so by the time we got on the ship we were so ready to hit the buffet!

Sounds wonderful. Thanks so much.

Marilee

Next question is has any one taken the Whistler Mountaineer from Vancouver to Whistler on their own?

Marilee

Hi Marilee,

How are you? We are actually planning a trip on the Grandeur for August to Canada/New England.

Brigitte

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Marilee,

How are you? We are actually planning a trip on the Grandeur for August to Canada/New England.

Brigitte

Hi Brigitte,

So nice to talk to you again. How are you doing? How is your husband? Hope things are going well for you.

Marilee

We rented a car after our cruise and drove to Whistler for 5 days. The drive took about 2.5 hours. They had road construction because of the building for the Olympics. We stayed at The Fairmont Chateau Whistler...we enjoyed the stay...The conceirge was wonderful and arranged Golf, a four wheel expedition, horseback riding and dinner reservations. The trip was awesome. We had a bear climb into our golf cart drink a coke and eat a golf ball. I was laughing too hard to be scared. The Ranger came out on the course and encouraged the bear away...He said the bear had been removed a dozen times, but he was a hard headed toddler. Whistler was my favorite part of our two week trip!:D

We rented a car after our cruise and drove to Whistler for 5 days. The drive took about 2.5 hours. They had road construction because of the building for the Olympics. We stayed at The Fairmont Chateau Whistler...we enjoyed the stay...The conceirge was wonderful and arranged Golf, a four wheel expedition, horseback riding and dinner reservations. The trip was awesome. We had a bear climb into our golf cart drink a coke and eat a golf ball. I was laughing too hard to be scared. The Ranger came out on the course and encouraged the bear away...He said the bear had been removed a dozen times, but he was a hard headed toddler. Whistler was my favorite part of our two week trip!:D

Tell me about the Fairmont Dhateau Whistler. Was it wonderful?

Marilee,

Things are getting better and we are so looking forward to a family vacation. Where are you off to now and how was the Grand trip, I thought of you guys that whole week.

Brigitte

Marilee,

We liked The Fairmont Chateau. We had a One Bedroom Suite and it was nice. We did not have a view of the mountian, because when I made the reservation I did not specify, and they were completely booked when we arrived. I will post some pictures later today...of the room and the bear in our cart! The Fairmont website has different specials they run throughout the year. You might want to check your dates. In your room they put a flyer of the different activities offered by private hire....we arranged all of our excursions through their Activities desk (conceirge). The Hotel is walking distance to shopping and Good Food.

Marilee,

Things are getting better and we are so looking forward to a family vacation. Where are you off to now and how was the Grand trip, I thought of you guys that whole week.

Brigitte

Well, I did miss you. Really wanted to meet you. The trip was great. We had such a ncie time. Flew into San Antonio and spents 4 ngihts then drov e to Galveston and spent 3 more nights. Really enjoyed the two cities. The Grand was very nice and we had a good cc group.l So sorry you couldn't join us. Where are you looking to cruise to now? Our next one is on Norwegian Pearl for New Years.

Marilee

Marilee,

We liked The Fairmont Chateau. We had a One Bedroom Suite and it was nice. We did not have a view of the mountian, because when I made the reservation I did not specify, and they were completely booked when we arrived. I will post some pictures later today...of the room and the bear in our cart! The Fairmont website has different specials they run throughout the year. You might want to check your dates. In your room they put a flyer of the different activities offered by private hire....we arranged all of our excursions through their Activities desk (conceirge). The Hotel is walking distance to shopping and Good Food.

Thanks so much for the information. I thought this would be a great hotel. Last year we did a Candian Rockies tour and stayed in the Fairmonts in Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise and Vancouver. I loved them all. I will look forward to seeing your pictures.

Marilee

Well, I did miss you. Really wanted to meet you. The trip was great. We had such a ncie time. Flew into San Antonio and spents 4 ngihts then drov e to Galveston and spent 3 more nights. Really enjoyed the two cities. The Grand was very nice and we had a good cc group.l So sorry you couldn't join us. Where are you looking to cruise to now? Our next one is on Norwegian Pearl for New Years.

Marilee

Hi Marilee,

We're doing a Canada/New England trip in August on RCCL. It's an easy trip for us because it involves no air travel just a short drive to Baltimore. One day we will be on a cruise together and finally get to meet.

Take Care,

Brigitte

Hi Marilee,

We're doing a Canada/New England trip in August on RCCL. It's an easy trip for us because it involves no air travel just a short drive to Baltimore. One day we will be on a cruise together and finally get to meet.

Take Care,

Brigitte

Yes, hopefully. But in the mean time we can visit on this board. Have you done Canada/New England before? We did it a number of years ago and it was wonderful.

Marilee

Whistler is a great place to go for a day, a week or longer - the only thing that i should mention is that the Sea to Sky highway - the road to Whistler is being upgraded in time for the Olympics in 2010 and there are many construction delays - usually 15 minutes at time along the route - so if you are planning your time add some extra and if you are a confirmed WAL MART addict there is now one in Squamish - about the 1/2 way mark.

Take lots of film or a large digital media card - stop and enjoy the sights - the Museum of Mining at Britannia Beach - Brandywine Falls - a five minute walk from your car - Shannon Falls - Porteau Cove - Alice Lake is worth the short drive into - go into the Cal-Chek campsite and see the cable suspension bridge across the Cheakamus River - that's my short list - there are many more - thirty minutes past Whistler is Nairn Falls - a 10 - 15 minute walk - there are some others like Cheakamus Lake but that entails a 30 minute drive over a bumpy gravel road and most car rental companies frown on that.

Check out: http://www.whistler.com for more info

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Archived