October in Bermuda

ashes6870

My DW and I are cruising to Bermuda on the Azamara Journey, leaving Bayonne, NJ on 20 October and will be in Bermua mid-week and have several questions from all you experienced Hamilton/St. Goeoge' travelers:
[LIST]
[*]what is the ocean temperature like?
[*]since it is near the end of the cruise season, what are the crowds like?
[*]what are your top 2 things to do/see in Hamilton and St. Georges?
[*]what are your favorite lunch spots in Hamilton/St. Georges?
[*]what is there to do at the Dockyards?
[*]where is the best shipping?[/LIST]New to Bermuda and cruising, so any info it greatly appreciated.

[quote name='ashes6870']My DW and I are cruising to Bermuda on the Azamara Journey, leaving Bayonne, NJ on 20 October and will be in Bermua mid-week and have several questions from all you experienced Hamilton/St. Goeoge' travelers:
[LIST]
[*]where is the best shipping?[/LIST]New to Bermuda and cruising, so any info it greatly appreciated.[/quote]

We have cruised to Bermuda in Oct. on Celebrity the last 6 years. The water temp has always been delightful. Naturally, that's relative to what you like but we found it warm.

Can't compare to what crowds may be like at other times but it just stands to reason that is is less crowded, less families with school age children for one thing. All in all, never felt crowded to us.

We like taking a self guided walking tour around Hamilton. Maps are easy to find with points of interest noted. You can usually find a free booklet called This Week in Bermuda which will give you a short description of places of interest in Hamilton. City Hall houses the Bermuda National Gallery that has a fine collection.

Ahh... St George. Our first thing to do there is hit Tobacco Bay to snorkel. We usually walk which is a good 15-20 minute walk, mostly uphill, and enjoy the scenery along the way. You walk right through St George Golf Club. There is a bus, $3.00, if you should want to go to Tobacco Bay and not walk. Coming home, it's all downhill. We walk back taking the long way around which could be a couple of miles but the scenery is gorgeous. We also like walking the little back streets of St. George taking in the Bermuda architecture. We have been lucky to see a retreat in the square on, I think Wed. night. They may not do them the week you're going but you could ask in town. We also enjoyed going to the Perfumery where they will give you a tour and explain the perfume making process, all out of native flowers.

We always eat a hearty breakfast and don't do lunch so someone else will have to make recommendations. Not eating lunch helps to keep the weight from creeping up.

The Royal Naval Dockyards has the Bernuda Maritime Museum an Arts Center as well as a craft market with works done by locals. Island Pottery and a glass blowing shop as well as a small shopping mall is also there.

Shopping depends on what you're looking to buy. Our favorite place to shop WAS Triminghams on Front Street which is no longer there. Carole Holding, a local watercolorist, has shops in both places and has lovely prints of Bermuda scenes. Bermuda doesn't really have bargains. Several of the more prominent stores have stores in St. George which is more condusive to leisurly browsing. Once again, that handy This Week in Bermuda gives you a run down on stores.

We will be in Bermuda the week before you. Hope you enjoy Bermuda as much as we do.:)

Let me echo what was posted. Weather concerns aside, October is a great time to cruise to Bermuda. I especially enjoyed the Royal Naval Dockyards and the historic points of interest. There is a neat little beach there, mostly for kids. But it's a nice place to grab a little liquid refreshment too.

It really feels like you're headed on vacation just a day after leaving a port in the NE US, as people break out the shorts and t-shirts amid increasing temps and humidity. Ofcourse, reality sets in a little sooner on your way back, but it tends to make us savor our vacation and time in Bermuda even more.

Water temperature was very comfortable.

You're going to love it!

I also agree with the other posters, having been to bermuda on a cruise for the first time last october, we LOVED it so much we are returning this october as well.
WE TOO did the long walk back from tobaco bay. It was so pretty and scenic. Locals riding by stopped and asked up if we needed directions ! The locals are SO friendly. Never felt scared at all as you can on some off streets in caribbean islands.
The dockyard was so pretty, very scenic and filled with history. Just if your a beach person this wasn't the place for you, we did go to the snorkel park there and was disappointed with that but not a major problem.
We loved all three ports actually. This year we don;'t stop at the dockyards but if we do want to visit we can always ferry over.
Horseshoe bay is gorgous, from st. george take the bus to it .... A big hill going down once off the bus, coming up could be a problem for those not used to walking or hills. There is a van to take you to the top of the hill for $1.00
The weather was perfect our whole trip, in the 80's with lots of sunshine. Water temp was great as well.
We did not eat off the boat at all so cannot comment on anything else.
We did alot of walking around ourselves and just took our time and enjoyed it all.
Shopping is plentiful for everyone, bermuda is pricey but you can always find a bargain anywhere.
Enjoy, you will LOVE bermuda and cruising. It's the only way to go.
The one thing I wanted to do the last time we didn't get to , this time we will is to take a ferry ride at sunset, other posters say its gorgous.
They also have horse and carriage rides that look so scenic. Like I said we walked, this time maybe a scenic ride would be pretty.
[quote name='ashes6870']My DW and I are cruising to Bermuda on the Azamara Journey, leaving Bayonne, NJ on 20 October and will be in Bermua mid-week and have several questions from all you experienced Hamilton/St. Goeoge' travelers:
[LIST]
[*]where is the best shipping?[/LIST]New to Bermuda and cruising, so any info it greatly appreciated.[/quote]

[QUOTE=family cruisers;10600085
The one thing I wanted to do the last time we didn't get to , this time we will is to take a ferry ride at sunset, other posters say its gorgous.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe we'll see you there come October. :)

[quote name='family cruisers']
[/QUOTE]

Maybe we'll see you there come October. :)

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='SUN TURNIP']I Am Looking At A Cruise From Charleston Oct 28 To Bermuda Is The Weather Still As Beautiful At The End Of The Month?[/quote]

Go to [URL="http://www.bermudashorts.bm/"]www.bermudashorts.bm/[/URL], at the top of the page click on weather info, then scoll down to select a date (Oct.). You will then see the average daily temp and a thumbnail picture for everyday of the month. You can get all this info for the last 8 years.

BTW,click on the Picture of the Week feature, upper right hand corner, my 15 minutes of fame.;)

Archived