Vancouver Downtown vs West End Hotels

We will be arriving in Vancouver on 9/01/07 with a sail date of 9/3/07. I have been trying to do my homewrok on Vancouver and where to stay. I was reading that the West End is a little nicier than downtown area. I am considering stay at the Blue Horizon on the West End, Delta Vancouver in Downtown or Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Hotel on the West End. Can you tell me what the difference is between Downtown and West End? Have you stayed at either of these hotels? Can you recommend any other hotels in West End in the $250 (USD) / night or below? Thank you in advance.

Hi..I wouldn't worry to much about West End vs Downtown as far as being from out of town. We are; and really to us it's all just "Downtown". The locals of course would differ especially if they live there :) The area for both is not really all that big anyways you look at it and without a car sooner or later you have to cab it.

I have not stayed at any of those places but know people that have. All are fine generally speaking.

We will be arriving in Vancouver on 9/01/07 with a sail date of 9/3/07. I have been trying to do my homewrok on Vancouver and where to stay. I was reading that the West End is a little nicier than downtown area. I am considering stay at the Blue Horizon on the West End, Delta Vancouver in Downtown or Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Hotel on the West End. Can you tell me what the difference is between Downtown and West End? Have you stayed at either of these hotels? Can you recommend any other hotels in West End in the $250 (USD) / night or below? Thank you in advance.

Of the three hotels you named, I'd only consider the Blue Horizon as being in the West End (the Marriott Pinnacle is not in the West End).

It really depends on what you want out of your stay. If you're going to be in and out of your hotel frequently during the day, you might like the Blue Horizon because it's right on Robson St. with literally hundreds of shops and restaurants out the front door. BTW, this is still considered "downtown".

Another very nice boutique-style hotel on Robson (just up the street from the Blue Horizon) is the Listel. I've stayed there and it's very nice.

The real difference is that both Delta Suites and the Marriott Pinnacle are in the business district. But because downtown Vancouver is so compact, Robson Street, shops and restaurants are still within easy walking distance or within a very short cab ride. Of these two, I've stayed at the Pinnacle a few times and liked it very much, particularly if you can get a corner room with the wrap-around windows.

Both Delta Suites and the Pinnacle are very close to Canada Place, if that's important to you.

_

If you wanted to stay near the beach in the West End, there is also the Best Western Sands - right on the beach and I think under $200/night or the Sylvia -beautiful heritage building, not sure of the prices though.

Vancouver is a nice city to walk, we live near the beach in the West End and my husband walks to Canada Place every day for work (about 2 miles). So where ever you stay it won't be too hard to get where you want to go.

Without luggage the walk from Robson Street to Canada place easy, but if you pack anything like I do ;) - opt for the cab it will only be 5 or 6 dollars.

Archived