Question about smaller ships like Tahitian Princess

I'll be booking a world cruise in 2009 (a retirement present to myself), and, thought I would be booking either Cunard or Crystal but, I just found out that Princess is also offering two world cruises in 2009 on Tahitian Princess and the new Royal Princess.

I haven't sailed on ships of this size (30,000 tons), and, while I love Princess overall, for a cruise that is going to be over 107 days in length, my concern is about how stable the ship will be (as it is certain we will hit rough weather and rough seas sooner or later).

What has been your experiences with smaller ships?

Thanks

Sailed on both Tahitian and Pacific Princess. Did not find them to be any different that most larger ships in the way they rode out rough weather. Last cruise was on Pacific Princess where we had the stern owner's suite. Went across the Indian Ocean and was smooth as silk. Be advised the Royal is configured differently than Pacific and Tahitian (not as many mini-suites).

Zouave

We've been on Pacific Princess (new), and two of her sisters, Oceania's Regatta and Nautica, and love those small ships.

We've not experienced heavy seas on them, our ride experience was fine.

We crossed the Tasman Sea on Pacific Princess, and the North Sea on Regatta, without problem - but again the seas were not heavy, even though both have a reputation for being choppy/rough.

We experienced some rough seas on the way to Rarotonga and I feel the ship has more side to side and front to back motion then other ships I have been on. It can bob like a cork sometimes. Having said all that, I would sail on her in a minute given the chance. Unless you are real prone to seasickness I wouldn't worry about it. However, I would try to get a cabin midship We were hoping the Pacific Princess would do an Asian cruise in 2008 but they aren't so we have to go on the giant Diamond Princess.

Carol

Archived