Passports not here yet!!

Bvillemom3

We are leaving on our first cruise in Aug. and still don't have our passports. We also don't have out birth certs. because we sent them in when we applyed for our passports. What happens if we don't get anything back by the time we leave?:eek:

We are leaving on our first cruise in Aug. and still don't have our passports. We also don't have out birth certs. because we sent them in when we applyed for our passports. What happens if we don't get anything back by the time we leave?:eek:

Personally, I would go ahead and order some additional birth certificates. It is always good to have extra copies around. Some have said birth certificates are running about 14 weeks. I don't know how long ago you applied.

You can get BCs via the internet. I believe this was the one I used to get a spare.

http://www.vitalchek.com/?clicked=1

You do not need the passports but then you would need the BCs instead so I would apply now for the BCs. Just as a point of interest, we received our passports 35 minutes before we left home for the ship terminal.. We were going with the BCs but the post office called just before we were getting in the car to leave so I ran over and picked themn up.

Im doutful you have anything to be worried about....if you check out the boards you will see folks who were days away with no passport.

I leave in 2 weeks...applied over 13 weeks ago and no passports!

If not here by weeks end I'll end up down at the county building getting copies of birth certificates. Most counties you just walk in (wait of course) and get a copy for a small fee.

Im doutful you have anything to be worried about....if you check out the boards you will see folks who were days away with no passport.

I leave in 2 weeks...applied over 13 weeks ago and no passports!

If not here by weeks end I'll end up down at the county building getting copies of birth certificates. Most counties you just walk in (wait of course) and get a copy for a small fee.

Providing those people still live in the county or even state in which they were born. ;)

i have 2 copies of my birth certificate. They are both Louisiana issued and both have seals. I have used one of them before when cruising but dont remember which one. my question is that although they are both raised seals they are on the official paper but the birth certificate is actually copied on to that paper (with the border that says State of Louisiana) It says that this record is valid for birth only and it is numbered.

Should this be a good birth certificate or should i go and get another copy my fourth?? one of my copies is with my passport application. going on 12 weeks now.

I too was born in Louisiana. The birth certificate you describe is a certified copy of your orginial certificate. At the bottom of the page there should be a disqualifier that says " I certify that this is a true and correct copy of a certificate or document registered with the vital records registry of the State of Louisiana, pursuant to LSA - R.S. 40:32, ET SEQ." It will then have the signature of the state registrar. If you are still are unsure if you have a certificate copy go down to the vital statistics (sp) office, take your copy and ask them.

OR Just order a new one. If you get a new one you will be issued one that is a small card with a watermark as opposed to a raised seal. In Louisiana a raised seal or a watermark make the birth certificate a certified copy.

I only know all of this as I lost my copy like yours between cruise number one and cruise number two. I had to spend part of my vacation while in Louisiana visiting family getting the certificate. It took me longer to drive from my sister's home than it did to wait in line and get the new birth certificate card. I got a passport in Dec. 05 so no more worry about the birth certificate.

I hope this helps you.

Archived