Differences between Celebrity and Azamara

sweetmdr

Help! I have been on 2 cruises; Celebrity Mercury 9 years ago (a wonderful experience!) and Royal Caribbean last year (the 3 day Bahama cruise). My husband has never been on a cruise, and it sounds like he might like the smaller cruise ship experience, with less children and less formal attire.We are looking at the possibility of the Azamara Journey to Bermuda. The mixed reviews are really confusing us! I would love the celebrity experience again...will we have this on the Journey?

Other questions about the Journey and ports?

Is it easy to go out on your own in St. George and/or Hamilton or would excursions be necessary? Where can we read about things to do at these ports?

Am I correct in understanding that there is an additional charge for the specialty restaurants and what is this charge? How many different dining restaurants are there on the ship that include no charge for dining?

We have no idea how to figure how much/many extra charges to figure above the cost for the ship. What are the hidden or extra costs?

Thanks for all your help!

Help! I have been on 2 cruises; Celebrity Mercury 9 years ago (a wonderful experience!) and Royal Caribbean last year (the 3 day Bahama cruise). My husband has never been on a cruise, and it sounds like he might like the smaller cruise ship experience, with less children and less formal attire.We are looking at the possibility of the Azamara Journey to Bermuda. The mixed reviews are really confusing us! I would love the celebrity experience again...will we have this on the Journey?

Is it easy to go out on your own in St. George and/or Hamilton or would excursions be necessary? Where can we read about things to do at these ports?

Am I correct in understanding that there is an additional charge for the specialty restaurants and what is this charge? How many different dining restaurants are there on the ship that include no charge for dining?

We have no idea how to figure how much/many extra charges to figure above the cost for the ship. What are the hidden or extra costs?

I haven't been on the Journey yet, but will be on July 7, so I can't give first hand info. I have been to Bermuda 3 times. It is an easy place to explore from the ship. You will be in the heart of Hamilton and St. George. It is easy to get around via bus or rented scooter. There is plenty to see and do in Bermuda, including just relaxing on a beach or spending an afternoon with pitchers of rum swizzles at the Swizzle Inn (make this a bus day). Check out www.bermudatourism.com

Bermuda is easy and fun to navigate and see. Transportation is readily available and will allow you to use the wonderful bus system or the equally great ferry system. You really don't need to take a tour in Bermuda.

That said, if you want to see most of the island highlights you can take a cab tour. They'll show you the island in a day or less and then you can decide how to enjoy the rest of your time.

Bermuda isn't what it used to be (nothing is) but it's still a lovely Island and we still go whenever we can.

You get one time in specialty restaurant at no extra, unless you want the wine and/or extra course package at Aqualina. If you're in a suite, you get 2 nights at n/c. Thes's no charge for Discoveries, Windows Cafe/Breeza, the grill.

You will pay for soda and liquor, the spa etc. Coffee is extra unless you have it with meals or from self service on Deck 9.

It is very easy to get around Bermuda walking, bus, ferries.

Yes, it is like Celebrity service in a smaller setting.

you and your husband will love cruising to bermuda. we left the boat and found a taxi driver named eugene right outside the terminal. he took us for a two hour tour of the island and he stopped everywhere and anywhere we wanted him too for as long as we wanted. he only charged us 40.00 and we gave a 20.00 tip. i found it to be the best way to see bermuda. at night you can walk to many different bars and clubs right on front st.

we love it there.. we are going back on october 13th:) :) :) :)

Archived