Voyage M901: Caribbean Celebration December 19 2008 POLL

SanFranBayCruiser

Are you interested in a Holiday Group Cruise on QM2 in 2008? Your Vote Counts!  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a Holiday Group Cruise on QM2 in 2008? Your Vote Counts!

• No Thank You, But, Good Luck
    • Maybe - see my comments below
    • Yes! With air from NYC/NJ please
    • Yes! With air from London, England please
    • Yes! With air from Los Angeles please
    • Yes! With air from Chicago please
    • Yes! With air from Northern California (SFO/OAK)
    • Yes! With air from other areas in the United States - see below
    • Yes! With air from Canada - see below
    • Yes! With air from other parts of Europe - see below
    • Yes! With air from other parts of the world, see below
    • Yes! No air is needed
    • Yes! I'll be booking my own air
    • Yes! I want to book - I have more comments/suggestions to make below

This poll is actually a spin off from two other polls - one on Crystal about a holiday sailing in 2008 and one about a September, 2008 sailing here on Cunard.

Here is the question to ponder. If we can obtain approval for a formal Cruise Critic group on the December 19, 2008 holiday sailing - also known as voyage M901. Would you consider booking it?

First, I will be upfront and let everyone know I am not looking for a free cabin for myself. I would tell our assigned travel agent (just so everyone knows Cruise Critic selects the travel agency) that any earned cabins would be split among all those book to help lower the costs for everyone

From what I understand this would be a Cruise Critic "First" and, it could be a lot of fun.

Here's some information you might want to check out before voting in the poll:

ITINERARY

December 2008

19 Fri Fort Lauderdale, Florida Depart 5:00 pm

20 Sat Cruising the Caribbean Sea

21 Sun Cruising the Caribbean Sea

22 Mon Cristobal, Panama 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

23 Tue Cruising the Caribbean Sea

24 Wed Kralendijk, Bonaire 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

25 Thu Cruising the Caribbean Sea

26 Fri St. George's, Grenada 8:00 am - 6:00 pm

27 Sat Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 am - 6:00 pm

28 Sun Castries, St. Lucia 8:00 am - 6:00 pm

29 Mon Roseau, Dominica 8:00 am - 6:00 pm

30 Tue Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

31 Wed Road Town, Tortola 7:00 am - 4:00 pm

January 2009

1 Thu Charlotte Amalie, St.Thomas 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

2 Fri Cruising the Great Bahama Bank 7:00 am - 5:00 pm

3 Sat Fort Lauderdale, Florida Disembark

And Cunard published fares can be found by clicking this link:

http://www.cunard.com/CruiseItinerary_Tab.asp?CruiseID=2995&LeftNav=Planner&Active=&Sub=&OB=&Region=&ship=&shipID=&Tab=Fares

So give it some thought and please vote and/or post your interest here.

If there is enough interest, I'll be sure to ask for air for key gateway cities so people from both sides of the pond can enjoy this sailing. Off the top of my head, I believe air from:

London, England

New York City

Los Angeles

Chicago

Houston or Dallas

And if you have other suggestions, this is the place to post them.

And if you find this idea not to your liking then I do apologize in advance.

Just to distinguish I suppose, no offense was meant

No offence taken - but I can't answer to those who live in Dallas in Scotland.

It is an odd Americanism - "Paris, France", "London, England" - as if anyone might think that a reference to "Paris" might be to a Texan city rather than a French one. Surely if either "Paris" or "London" is unqualified then the location is clearly France or England respectively?

Matthew

No offence taken - but I can't answer to those who live in Dallas in Scotland.

It is an odd Americanism - "Paris, France", "London, England" - as if anyone might think that a reference to "Paris" might be to a Texan city rather than a French one. Surely if either "Paris" or "London" is unqualified then the location is clearly France or England respectively?

Matthew

Houston, Renfrewshire is quite handy for Glasgow airport.:)

David

Love that British humor! ;) However, I don't think it's the proper place to start getting petty as the OP stated no offense intended and, as it is pointed it out, it's just an Americanism.

So shall we get back to the question at hand?

I do believe you will have better luck with a Cunard sailing than with Crystal for a holiday sailing, and, I would certainly consider it.

We thought it would be much easier than flying to the states to begin our cruise, however, if you can come up with some fantastic offer. I'm certain we would change.

We wouldn't consider flying to Fort Lauderdale and beginning the cruise there. We would look at catching the QM2 from Southampton before the cruise and returning on the QM2 after the cruise though. What is she doing directly before and after her Christmas trip? Someone asked about a Christmas trip on the QM2 a while back; is this the same enquiry?:)

We wouldn't consider flying to Fort Lauderdale and beginning the cruise there. We would look at catching the QM2 from Southampton before the cruise and returning on the QM2 after the cruise though. What is she doing directly before and after her Christmas trip? Someone asked about a Christmas trip on the QM2 a while back; is this the same enquiry?:)

It appears that QM2 will be in Fort Lauderdale both prior the Christmas sailing and after. Here's the link: http://www.cunard.com/CruiseCalendar.asp

I've heard through the cruise forum board grapevines...in other words, rumors...that QM2 will be starting a World Cruise in 2009 from Fort Lauderdale, so, since it is positioned there for a Caribbean cruise after the Christmas cruise, perhaps the rumor is indeed true...

It appears that QM2 will be in Fort Lauderdale both prior the Christmas sailing and after. Here's the link: http://www.cunard.com/CruiseCalendar.asp

I've heard through the cruise forum board grapevines...in other words, rumors...that QM2 will be starting a World Cruise in 2009 from Fort Lauderdale, so, since it is positioned there for a Caribbean cruise after the Christmas cruise, perhaps the rumor is indeed true...

I heard the same rumor, if that is the case, I'd give this Holiday Sailing some very serious thought. I am planning on booking a 2009 world cruise and, this way, I could just go down to Fort Lauderdale and go. I doubt I'd book the cruise between holiday cruise and the world cruise though... I have to draw the limit somewhere!

Yes, I'll book. I was all set to book one of the mass market lines but, I just can't take them anymore. I would love to be on QM2 for the holidays and, if anyone has photos or links or any information about sailing on a Cunard ship during Christmas and New Years, I know I'd certainly appreciate it and, I'm certain others will too.

Hope to see many of on both the Roll Call and onboard for this sailing, looks like a great trip!

The group rates are no different than FIT (I checked) and there aren't many amenity points on the sailing.. so amenities are puny.

Singles pay the same single supplement as usual. Final payments for holiday sailings are due 120 days prior rather than 90.

Frankly, I think the rates stink. I have better rates.. for a longer holiday sailing this year... from the UK to the Caribbean and back on the QE2.

I cried, pleaded and begged to get the 2008/2009 school schedule. If I were to book this sailing, I would only have to miss one day of school, which I can do since I have several personal days saved up. While I usually book a balcony, with the prices I can only afford to book an inside.

That being said, I am extremely interested in trying Cunard as well. After working with children all day long, it will be refreshing to be in a more adult atmosphere and a holiday sailing on QM2 fits the bill perfectly.

So, being new here, how does this work? I'm ready to book right now!

I cried, pleaded and begged to get the 2008/2009 school schedule. If I were to book this sailing, I would only have to miss one day of school, which I can do since I have several personal days saved up. While I usually book a balcony, with the prices I can only afford to book an inside.

That being said, I am extremely interested in trying Cunard as well. After working with children all day long, it will be refreshing to be in a more adult atmosphere and a holiday sailing on QM2 fits the bill perfectly.

So, being new here, how does this work? I'm ready to book right now!

Well first - what is going on right now is nothing more than an exploratory poll. There are going to have to be a LOT MORE positive answers than are currently posted before SanFranBayCruiser can present the request to become a formal Cruise Critic cruise.

In order to get approval, we need to be able to fill a minimum of 8 cabins, and, right now, I can't say that will happen since there seems to be many people on the fence and won't commit one way or other regarding this sailing.

Now, should we actually get enough positive answers and we can fill at least 8 cabins, the next step is to gain approval and, then we'll get our own page, check out the Member Cruises section above...

Cruise Critic then assigns us a specific travel agency that will handle the booking for the cruise.

It's actually a pretty simple process...once we get enough people onboard :D

Exactly right! All that is happening right now is to find out if there is interest, and, I'm going to leave alone for at least two weeks to give enough people a chance to sign on and catch up on the boards.

If it doesn't come to pass, no worries, but, if it does then I think it will be a great way to meet fellow Cruise Critics and make new friends. And, considering this post was just listed today, there seems to be a lot of opinions about it, so, if nothing else, at least I have people thinking about the idea. So, I guess that is worth something...

Anyhow, keep checking the boards and, if we get some more serious responses, hopefully, soon, you'll see a CC group for this sailing...

We shall see ;)

This particular set of photos are excellent shots of the interior of the ship:

http://public.fotki.com/eroller/queen_mary_2/queen_mary_2_-_inte/

I get homesick just looking at the photos - I know a lot of people are going to miss QE2 and nothing will ever "replace" her but, I do love QM2, so new, so sleek. I understand, too large for some people but, for me, it's an excellent choice everytime.

Now, I'm really questioning our choice of QV!! :p

Seriously, see what you can do, we might just jump the pond and come over. I'll talk it over with my parents this week.

Howdy from Texas! We have 4 cruises booked for the holidays in 2008, yes, we're crazy, I know! ;) Looks like you people are going to make it 5. We book and deposit them, and, then we just cancel the ones we don't want.

What a beautiful ship and what a great idea! You get the group formed and I guarantee you 3 cabins will be filled for this sailing. Hands down, I know I won't get any arguements from the people traveling with me.

If we couldn't go both ways by boat then we wouldn't be interested. The hassle of long flights and luggage restrictions would make it a no-no:(

This particular set of photos are excellent shots of the interior of the ship:

http://public.fotki.com/eroller/queen_mary_2/queen_mary_2_-_inte/

99.9% certain I would not book this, even though I'd love to spend the holidays with CCers. But what with the B2B crossings in April, and the Oct cruise this year, and a few household repairs I have been putting off, this is too expensive for me to consider.

However, I noticed Ernie has some photo albums of QE2 on the Fotki site, but I need a password. I would guess, but that's not fair!

So does anyone of Ernie's email? Or I know he's been on the boards lately, (but not much)

ernie, if you're out there, can I get the keys to the kingdom? I want to absorb everything I can about the Lizzie before my crossing.

I can be emailed at parrothead-av8rATmindspringDOTcom.

Thanks!

Karie,

who wishes she COULD book the holiday, but not unless I inherit a fortune soon, and since both of my parents died in the last year and neither one of them left me anything. I guess it isn't to be.

Archived