Majesty Review - June 17th Sailing (Looonng)

Mainelybubba

We have just booked this cruise sailing November 24th from Charleston, South Carolina.

Does anybody out there have information about hotels in Charleston that will keep your car for the duration of the cruise and transport you to and from the pier. What I am looking for is a "Stay and Cruise" program.

Also, can anyone tell me about the size of the closets and drawer space in the cabins.

Thanks

I believe it's less to drive and park at Black Falcon! Or does the price include the hotel room and parking? How will you then get to the pier?

The $239 includes parking for the week. The way it works out it is still cheaper than parking at the Black Falcon. We'll just take a cab from the hotel to the pier.

I was on this cruise with Mainleybubba - and we to had an awesome time. I share her jealousy of all of you who will be sailing the Majesty in the near future!

Bermuda does have a way of making you feel welcome - the cannon salute when you arrive - the town crier - etc. As many times as I have been on this cruise, I have never seen the bagpiper - that must be truly emotional - I think it is emotional enough just having all of the people at the cut waving goodbye. I did get a chuckle when leaving this time. The whole time we were in Bermuda, there was a security guard checking ID's and joked with us about the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry (he was a Yankees fan). He always had a comment when I came in with my Red Sox shirt. I laughed so hard when we were leaving and he was standing on the shore - all by himself - yelling "GO SOX". Alright - I know it wasn't as special as a bagpipe - but it did tickle my funnybone!

I took a gazillion photos while on this cruise (Thank God for Digital Cameras). I have posted many of them on my website - feel free to take a look - once you get past the photos of my family and friends, there are quite a few of the ship it'self and Bermuda.

http://www.fryesphotos.com and then click on the link "Bermuda Revisited 2007"

I hope you enjoy them - and wish all of you future cruisers a Bon Voyage!

Wonderful pics.. we leave two weeks from tomorrow. What time should we be on the starboard side ( I believe this is what I read somewhere) of the ship to see going through the vut and the town crier?? We are so excited.

Wonderful pics.. we leave two weeks from tomorrow. What time should we be on the starboard side ( I believe this is what I read somewhere) of the ship to see going through the vut and the town crier?? We are so excited.

You know - as many times as I have cruised, I still get confused with port and starboard. SOOOOOO - in simple english: Face the front of the ship and you'll want to be on the RIGHT hand side. The closer you can get to the front - the better it is.

Go down to the promenade deck on the starboard side -- great views from there! Once you've gone through the cut, go to the port side to hear the town crier's greeting when you dock.

Have a great time! We leave in three weeks!

I was on this cruise with Mainleybubba - and we to had an awesome time.

Randy, I can't believe we did not meet. I think I passed you in the hall near Le Bistro one day - a distinguished gentlemen wearing a bright blue Cruise Critic t-shirt. I ALMOST said something, but didn't dare. :p

I can't wait to cruise again - I think we are definitely doing a cruise in 2010, to celebrate our daughter's h.s. graduation, but if I can manage some creative financing, we may do a last minute cruise on the Dream next year. Shh. Don't tell him I said that. :D

Randy, I can't believe we did not meet. I think I passed you in the hall near Le Bistro one day - a distinguished gentlemen wearing a bright blue Cruise Critic t-shirt. I ALMOST said something, but didn't dare. :p :D

I'm not sure about "distinguished" but I DID have the blue Cruise Critic Shirt on! Next year I'll have to figure out how to put my name on the shirt as well so you will all know who I am! :)

We have already booked a European Cruise for next June (The same week as we cruised this year - only a year later) We have a son graduating from College and the other from High School so we figured we would do one last big trip as a family - we want the boys to see a little of their Greek Heritage.

BUT - we too love Bermuda and will be looking to squeeze onto the Dream at some point next year as well!

Somewhere, I have to squeeze in little "work" so I can finance these awesome cruises - reality really stinks!!

We have just booked this cruise sailing November 24th from Charleston, South Carolina.

Does anybody out there have information about hotels in Charleston that will keep your car for the duration of the cruise and transport you to and from the pier. What I am looking for is a "Stay and Cruise" program.

Also, can anyone tell me about the size of the closets and drawer space in the cabins.

Try the Wingate Inn in N. Charleston. What a great deal!!! Free parking, 2 queen beds, complimentary afternoon cocktails, free round-trip shuttle to port, free breakfast............all for 99.00. Area is very safe. You have to contact the hotel directly, not through the 800 number.

Hi Mainelybubba.

We were one of the "other" couples on this cruise. As stated, the food and service was outstanding. I had the hot stone massage (won a $25 gift certificate to the spa the first day)...it was awesome.

We were in a DD OV on deck 4, with a refrigerator and safe. Bring your own hairdryer if needed though. Cabin steward was great (say Hi to Cesear if you see him)

3 of us did a horseback ride Wednesday morning. We booked it independently from the cruise line. Spicelands Ranch. It was 1 hour 15 min. and the highlight of our trip. Not easy to get to by bus, we took a taxi to save time. Well worth the $$$

The first day, most people head right to Tobacco Bay. We heard it was mobbed. We bought a bus pass and headed to St. David's. After checking out the lighthouse, we had lunch at the Black Horse Tavern and then went to Clearwater Beach. We were 2 of about a dozen people on the beach. The planes fly into the airport right over the bay.

Horseshoe Bay is another must see, awesome waves. We did finally spend some time at Tobacco Bay Thursday afternoon and I tried snorkeling for the first time. That was fun.

We also went to the Royal Dockyard, took the ferry for that. The bus pass is good on the ferry.

Have fun everyone.

Great review! Our family of 7 will be on the July 12, 2008 sailing out of Balitmore.....so long away! Two of our kids will be 13 and 15 at the time of sailing, so it was good to read that your kids enjoyed the ship.

Thanks!

Sandi

What a great review! Can you tell us what the trivia was so that we can study up?? We are taking the Bermuda cruise this Sunday July 8th and can't wait. Heck, most of the joy of doing a cruise is the month or more time your preparing and dreaming about it!

Sounds like we will have lots of fun. We are coming from Kansas. Hope to see everyone there.

Bill :)

What a great review! Can you tell us what the trivia was so that we can study up??

Unfortunately, Bill, I never made it to the trivia, much as I tried. :D In 2005 however, there was an Elvis trivia challenge, so you might want to brush up on your Elvis history, just in case.

Have a great time!

I hope you can help me~ We just got back from Bermuda on the Empress of the Seas and are trying to decide what cruise to take this next year. Empress was nice but my Husband & I do prefer the larger ships however we will be travleling with my 80 year old Grandparents this next cruise so my question is how do you like the Majesty compared to the Empress?? Is it much smaller than the Empress? I don't think I can handle being on a smaller ship our other choice may be the Grandeur of the Seas we jus can't decide. Any advice from anyone would be MUCH appericated! There will be 9 in our group this next cruise two will be children ages 10 & 12. THANKS!

I hope you can help me~ We just got back from Bermuda on the Empress of the Seas and are trying to decide what cruise to take this next year. Empress was nice but my Husband & I do prefer the larger ships however we will be travleling with my 80 year old Grandparents this next cruise so my question is how do you like the Majesty compared to the Empress?? Is it much smaller than the Empress? I don't think I can handle being on a smaller ship our other choice may be the Grandeur of the Seas we jus can't decide. Any advice from anyone would be MUCH appericated! There will be 9 in our group this next cruise two will be children ages 10 & 12. THANKS!

The Majesty is smaller than the Empress, but not that much smaller.

The Empress tonnage is 48,500 tons, the Majesty is 40,800 tons.

The Majesty will dock at St. George, the Grandeur of the Seas will dock at Kings Wharf.

Delaney86 - I have a soft spot for the Majesty - and I think given the age of your grandparents, docking in St. George may be more enjoyable for them - it docks right at the town square, there are lots of benches to just sit and enjoy people watching, lots of the little shops and boutiques are handy, plus the Café Latte is right on Water Street (I have a soft spot for that place too).

As I said in my review, my son had a fabulous time in the kids crew. My daughter decided to not take advantage of everything they offered. I will say however, when my son was 11, he didn't enjoy the kids crew - they hold to the age breakdown. Now, in 2005, there are a lot of little kids and a lot of teens, but my son was the only 11 yo on the ship apparently. Or the only 11 yo who signed up for the kids crew. Needless to say, he was lumped with all the little kids. That lasted for one movie. After that he stayed in the pool.

Unfortunately, I don't remember a whole lot about our RCC cruise except we did not enjoy our table mates, and we did not realize that we could ask to be moved. The ship was gorgeous (a lot more beautiful than the Majesty); food was wonderful and the crew on RCCI was great. I personally have found the crew to be friendlier on the Majesty - everyone greeted us in passing, everyone I encountered had a smile. There were a lot of senior cruisers the two times we sailed her, so i think that says something as well.

But whichever line you decide on, the ultimate is that you will be in Bermuda - and no matter how you get there - that is always a GOOD thing.:D

Thanks so much for all the GREAT info! I really appericate it! We went ahead and booked Majesty leaving out of Baltimore June 2008. Norfolk is much closer to us but I don't want to do the 5 night to Bermuda to short. I'm sure we'll have fun! Were not hard to please and I'm with you the reward is Bermuda! It is beautiful!!!!!!

Archived