Alaska in May - how's the weather?

[quote name='CruiseVirginfromBrooklyn']Asking for a friend. Only been during the summer myself so I don't know... Rumor has it that is actually less rainy, any truth to this? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
We went in early May a few years ago and the weather was just fine. Have done May and September and the main difference is that there is a lot more snow on the mountains in May. Didn't see much rain in either month.

We went May 6-17 this year. The weather was sunny most days, maybe a little on the cool side. It rained only 1 out of 12 days. The only downside was a lot of icebergs by hubbard glacier, we weren't able to get close. We also had a hiking expedition in Skagway cancelled because of snow on the trail. We would still go again in May. The advantages are lower prices, and less rain. I should add that we saw many whales, from our cabin window while cruising the inside passage.

• 2 months later...
:) I have had four cruises in May, and only ONE day of rain! A little cool at times with a lightbreeze,but dry. It seems that May and June are the driest months,and no bugs! Check the rates,they are low. My best cruise of twelve was this past May, back to back on the Coral Princess. I advise a balcony you can hear the ranger speaking on the T.V. All the best John.:)

Used to live in Alaska and traditionally May is one of the dryer months. Had that in mind when I booked a 15 day trip up there this past May.

Day 1-5 Anchorage rained 3 out of 5 days

Day 6-8 Denali another 3 days of rain

Day 9-16 Southbound cruise on the Statendam 2 great days and 5 rainy

Alaska is beautiful (even in the rain). go and enjoy.

This summer was absolutely TOO hot for us here. We had NO rain and temps in the 90's. Understand that we build houses here WITHOUT A/C so it can be misserable... But we are having cold weather early this year so chances are that in may things should look pretty good. There's a patteren. May is typically cooler, and by June the snow is usually gone.. Also, May, and June are Avalanch season here, but the flip side to that is, all the animals are migrating back and you have an excellent chance of seeing some. The bears are waking, and most babies born in the wild are born durring this time.

Archived