Tenders - easy or difficult?

Wanderlust26

Although I have cruised before, I have never been in a ‘tender port’. Normally this wouldn’t concern me, but I’m bringing my mother along this time. Frankly, I don’t have a clue what the procedure is or if it requires great ‘agility’. The ports in question are Kona and Lahaina.

I would really appreciate it if someone would let me know how easy/difficult it is. Thank you!

If the seas are too rough, the Captain will skip that stop. The Tender is a small boat so if the seas are choppy, it may go up and down next to the ship as you get on. There will be two crew members, one on each side of the door, to help you get on and off sometimes even lifting you over.

Most times it's very gentle and easy.

Although I have cruised before, I have never been in a ‘tender port’. Normally this wouldn’t concern me, but I’m bringing my mother along this time. Frankly, I don’t have a clue what the procedure is or if it requires great ‘agility’. The ports in question are Kona and Lahaina.

I would really appreciate it if someone would let me know how easy/difficult it is. Thank you!

When we made this trip in 2004 and on been on three or four cruises since. I thought that the tenders were smooth without too many waves compared to the caribbean and Mexico rivera. As most tenders its hot, humid and a bit of rocking back and forth. It is aways difficult for those in walkers and wheelchairs and those that have a hard time keeping their balance to get in or out. They have a lot of staff to help and most other passengers will help.

Both ports are worth getting off for. The shopping in Lahaina is fantastic and most people could spend all day there. Sit under the big tree in the town square and just watch the people go by. Maui is my favorite island. I have enjoyed the road to Hana and the trip up the volcano. I always spend my day at Kona snorkeling at Captain Cooks Monument, so I haven't done to many land tours.

We are going again this fall for a third trip. Can't wait. Have a great trip.

I used the tender in Kona and it was pretty easy, not choppy at all. The attendants on each side of the door help you even if you are agile and don't need the help. A lady in a wheelchair was lifted and walked to a seat by the attendants and her wheelchair folded & placed on the ground in the center. She will be just fine. Relax and enjoy.

my family and i tendered in kona and it was the easiest tender we've done at any port. the crew helps you get onto the boat and the swell was up when we were there so it was a little rocky on the boat. even if you don't get sea sick on the ship, take your motion sickness medicine atleast 30 min before you get on. even the toughest people can get sick on these things if the waves are bad. but since we took the medicine we were all great!

Our Kona tender was the only tender I'd ever experienced, it was smooth and easy and problem free. I had anticipated a big hassle - didn't encounter one. Water was smooth, entry/exit was pretty easy, even saw a school of dolphins off the side! But as they are small-ish boats (they are the ship's lifeboats after all), I'm sure the experience is directly related to the waves of the day.

Archived