Embarking/disembarking

popster

We will be on the Crown next April out of San Juan. How early can we board the ship and what is the time frame of disembarking at the end of the cruise? I am ready to make my flight arrangements and have a choice of 11:55 AM or 2:40 PM. I think it may be cutting it close for the 11:55, especially in San Juan. If I take the later flight, how late can we disembark? I don't want to sit at the airport for 4 hours before the flight.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Popster

If you choose the earlier flight, you will get a different colour luggage tag and be one of the first passengers to disembark... you should make the flight without any problem, unless something goes seriously wrong, such as the ship being delayed getting into port.

Otherwise, for the 2.40 flight, you can check in a couple of hours early, so disembarking around 10 - 10.30 gives you time for immigration, baggage reclaim and airport transfer.

Either way, you should be OK.

Alternatively, why not overnight in San Juan and fly home the next day... if you can spare the time it makes a nice calm end to the vacation.

:)

Take the later flight. Unforseen delays can always happen which could hinder getting off the ship early. Why spend your vacation worrying about making your flight home?

That's a very good point. Although I hate waiting in airports, the worry can be just as bad. And I don't even want to think about what would happen if I miss the flight.

Alternatively, why not overnight in San Juan and fly home the next day... if you can spare the time it makes a nice calm end to the vacation.

:)

I prefer to go down a couple of days before the cruise to get 'warmed up' for the cruise. I have stayed a day after the cruise, but have not really enjoyed that portion of the trip as much as the precruise or cruise itself. I also find it easier and less stressful to go straight to the airport and get home and relax there for a day or so before going back to work.

Thanks for the responses.

Popster

We had a terrible situation in San Juan by getting to the airport TOO early-- when we checked in, they didn't yet realize that our flight was about to be grounded in whatever city it was coming from, and our flight cancelled-- and because we already HAD boarding passes, they couldn't rebook us on the phone, we had to stand in the 2-hour line at the front counter or battle everyone else on our flight to get to the one gate agent to rebook-- and of course all of this was on top of the fact that my mother had to fly to Arizona the day after we returned in hopes of seeing my grandmother before she passed away...

So I say go with the earlier flight, myself!!!

We had a terrible situation in San Juan by getting to the airport TOO early-- when we checked in, they didn't yet realize that our flight was about to be grounded in whatever city it was coming from, and our flight cancelled-- and because we already HAD boarding passes, they couldn't rebook us on the phone, we had to stand in the 2-hour line at the front counter or battle everyone else on our flight to get to the one gate agent to rebook-- and of course all of this was on top of the fact that my mother had to fly to Arizona the day after we returned in hopes of seeing my grandmother before she passed away...

So I say go with the earlier flight, myself!!!

You make a very valid point also. Nothing is ever easy at the San Juan airport. Combine that with external problems and I see how it can become a nightmare.

Oh well, I might just have to flip a coin and hope for the best.

Thanks all,

Popster

Archived