Shops In Ports Take Credit/debit Cards????

Hey guys have a question for you. When i went on my last cruise i used all cash and i am going on another one and i can't remember if i saw many stores that took credit cards or not just wondering if they did

Cruisevirgin79
Sov. of the Seas 9/15/02
Exp. of the Seas 9/18/05

we have used credit cards in most caribbean ports....HOWEVER...be SURE and call your credit card company and let them know that you will be using the card outside of the US. Chances are if you do not they will start blocking the charges. We usually call and give the company and leave and return date and they ask our general itenerary and things work our well.

Have a great trip.

Six trips to the Caribbean since December 2002 and always used a credit card. I've never advised the card company (meant to do it after reading the boards but never did). Never had a problem. Possibly because I used the same card to book the cruise and air.

I would never use a debit card on shore. If a problem arises with that the checking account is screwed up until the situation gets resolved. With a credit card at least I can put it in dispute and use an alternate card until the matter is cleared up.

There was a recent discussion on credit cards here. The general consenus of opinion was that Visa and Master Card were readily accepted, American Express maybe and Discover ..... well you'd better discover another way to pay.

Naturally, the cards are accepted at most shops near the docks. The further away and smaller the shop the less likely they are to accept a credit card.

I've been in banking for 25 years, so please consider some free advice. Debit cards are very convenient alternative to writing a check, but your charge back rights are limited. And, the potential for fraud is greater as someone may obtain immediate access to your funds. Use a major credit card and take some traveler's checks to cash at the purser's desk. Or, if you don't mind paying the fee, there are usually ATMs onboard.

While I generally agree with the advice others have given, in my experience it depends on the ports you'll be visiting. For instance, in Margarita Island I didn't find a single store in Porlamar that took credit cards - any credit card. I'm not saying that none of them did. But if any did, I didn't find them.

BTW - Hal from Ohio, my DH has a lot of family in Orrville. We may even take a trip down next week.

Beth

Archived