Tipping on the cruise

travgurl

I just want to confirm that Carnival will automatically add to my bill at the end of the trip an amount of $10 a day per person for the tips. Is this correct? If I want, I may add an extra bonus for those accordingly. Also, one more question--we can lock suitcases on the planes, but do you lock them before you reach the ship?

Hi. Actually, the auto tips will be the first entry on your Sail & Sign account. Yes, you can certainly add more if you wish...or you can just hand an extra tip to whomever you think deserves it.

Carnival says to "lock your luggage before handing over to the porters at the pier". (They are not Carnival employees, but employed by the local port authority...so should be tipped $1 per piece of luggage.):)

I always take about $50 in one dollar bills to :

1. tip room service. It is free, but a dollar or two tip is appropriate.

2. requesting a song in the piano bar

3. tipping porters

4. tipping individual crew for various reasons when they help in a special way

(We have a special needs child that requires assistance from time to time.)

It also helps to have small denominations when you are in port to prevent getting a hand full of change in foreign currency. when buying a souvenir.

Have a great cruise!!

I just want to confirm that Carnival will automatically add to my bill at the end of the trip an amount of $10 a day per person for the tips. Is this correct? If I want, I may add an extra bonus for those accordingly. Also, one more question--we can lock suitcases on the planes, but do you lock them before you reach the ship?

That is correct; the $10 per person per day was added about mid-week on our S & S cards.

I bought colored cable ties at my local Big Lots store. I locked all of our bags with red ties. This is a tip I read on the CC boards, thinking not everybody has colored ties. Most have the clear colored ones. So, when our bags arrived in the cabins, we knew they were never opened and my bottle of Grey Goose was in the clear! ;)

Cut the ties, btw, with toe nail clippers packed in my carry on.

You can also pay your gratuities in advance (before you cruise). This is one less "charge" added to the sail and sign balance. Somehow, the balance is always a bit higher than I expect it to be!! Just call carnival and give them your credit card/debit.

I also agree that bringing $1 dollar bills and $5's are great. Sometimes, a buck or two isn't quite what you'd like to do! Especially, if you are in one of the ports.

I know we are counting the days and wish you a wonderful cruise as well!!

Carla

You can also pay your gratuities in advance (before you cruise).

Yes, it's called 'prepaid tips'. I've done that the past three cruises...and it's nice not to see that amount on my S&S account.:)

• 3 weeks later...

ok so on my "5 day cruise" out of nola. we leave monday and get back early saturday morning. are they going to charge me 10 bucks for saturday morning? or just monday-friday?

Thanks, i seem to have forgotten what they did last year.

ok so on my "5 day cruise" out of nola. we leave monday and get back early saturday morning. are they going to charge me 10 bucks for saturday morning? or just monday-friday?

Thanks, i seem to have forgotten what they did last year.

It is 5 days, 50 bucks

Ten bucks a day, goes on your bill immediately if you didn't prepay tips.

By the time you get to your cabin and look up your account on your TV, the tips will already be added on.

can anyone answer my previous question for me? will i be expected to pay tips for the debarkation day?

The days of your tips will match the days that your cruise is being marketed: If it's sold as a 4 day cruise, you'll pay $40 per person, a six day cruise will be $60.

The Aug 20th Fantasy cruise is marketed as a 5-day cruise, so you'll pay $50 per person.

well technically 6 days. because its monday - saturday. but saturday morning is debarkation.

Although cruiselines say days on cruise....everything is based on "Nights" on cruise. If you take a 7 night...5 night....22 night.

All is based on nights.

If you leave on a Saturday and return on a Saturday it is a 7 night cruise......;)

Archived