Vancouver Restaurants?

We're going to be in Vancouver over night between coastal cruises in September and was wondering about restaurants for dinner. We will be at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver and was wondering if anyone can recommend someplace in that area. We don't need the tourist places and we like good food.

I saw this place called the Aurora Bistro and it looked good but seems kind of far on a map. Am I right?

We're going to be in Vancouver over night between coastal cruises in September and was wondering about restaurants for dinner. We will be at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver and was wondering if anyone can recommend someplace in that area. We don't need the tourist places and we like good food.

I saw this place called the Aurora Bistro and it looked good but seems kind of far on a map. Am I right?

Aurora Bistro is outside the downtown core, so you'd need a taxi to get there. There are lots of good restaurants closer to your hotel. But if you're willing to cab it out of the downtown area, there are better restaurants than Aurora (jmo).

Closer to you:

Cardero's (love it);

Brix;

Sandbar (on Granville Island, but short cab &/or ferry bus);

Water Street Cafe

BTW, downtown Vancouver is very compact and easily walkable. If you need a cab in downtown it will only be around $10.

Aurora Bistro is outside the downtown core, so you'd need a taxi to get there. There are lots of good restaurants closer to your hotel. But if you're willing to cab it out of the downtown area, there are better restaurants than Aurora (jmo).

Closer to you:

Cardero's (love it);

Brix;

Sandbar (on Granville Island, but short cab &/or ferry bus);

Water Street Cafe

BTW, downtown Vancouver is very compact and easily walkable. If you need a cab in downtown it will only be around $10.

Thank you! Cardero's looks pretty good....seems like a fun place! Can I walk there?

Thank you! Cardero's looks pretty good....seems like a fun place! Can I walk there?

Yes, you can.

The Hyatt is on the corner of Georgia & Burrard, so you can either walk down Burrard (north) towards the waterfront and follow the walkway west along the waterfront (towards Stanley Park); or walk straight down Georgia Street to Cardero and make a right towards the water (you'll see the Westin Bayshore).

I think the walk along the waterfront is much nicer and more scenic, but down Georgia is a bit faster. Either way, is probably 15 to 20 minutes easy walking.

Cardero's is a favourite spot of mine. Beg for a window seat .. especially along the north wall. It's fun to watch the float planes land. You will have an amazing view from any window table. Go a little early and stroll along the seawalk and even into the park if you like to walk. It's lovely. The food is wonderful. For me, it's the wok chicken and wok veggies. My DH always has some sort of fresh fish. Try it ... I'm sure you will be pleased.

Will be staying at Vancouver Pan Pacific one night post cruise on July 18, and looking for nice (not too expensive) restaurant somewhat near there, featuring local seafood (?) specialties. Also, what would be the best time to leave for airport for 12noon (thursday) flight to Minneapolis from that area?

For a noon flight on a Thursday, I'd head to the airport about 9 - 9:15. That would get you to the airport at 10ish. There is a lot of construction going on all over town. Traffic is unpredictable right now. You need time to check in, clear customs and get through security. It's hard to say how long that could take. Sometimes I have whizzed right through, sometimes it has taken well over an hour to an hour and 1/2. If you like to have lots of time, leave a little earlier. There's lots to do at the airport. I'm sure any extra time would pass quickly.

Will be staying at Vancouver Pan Pacific one night post cruise on July 18, and looking for nice (not too expensive) restaurant somewhat near there, featuring local seafood (?) specialties. Also, what would be the best time to leave for airport for 12noon (thursday) flight to Minneapolis from that area?

Hi Kathy: If you enjoy a little walk, I'd go with suggestion already made Cardero's or for something closer, right at the Pan Pacific is a very nice restaurant you might enjoy called Aqua Riva. Their website is located at http://www.aquariva.com/ and menus are listed as well. As to airport, I agree with Barb -- with the construction all over the city, it's best to leave extra time at airport -- and there is lots to do there if the security lines happen to go quickly.

Dave

The Fish house (in Stanley Park) used to be my favourite restaurant in Vancouver. Unfortunately, it's gone downhill in the last couple of years. The setting is great but the food is spotty. There are better choices (Aqua Riva, Cardero's, Sequoia Grill (also in Stanley park). I wish I could recommend The Fish House because I used to love it but I've had 2 dreadful dinners there in the past year. I'd give it a pass.

• 3 weeks later...

The walk way along the water North of Canada Place is all messed up with Olympic Construction. Keep to the streets until past it and then head for the water. Hooks into Stanley Park.

Aqua Riva is $$$$ for the portions but nice. Steamworks is just South of Canada Place on the edge of Gastown and I think there is a New Restaurant open in the Old Train Station which you run into first from Canada Place as you walk south (where sky train and sea bus entrance is also) Seabus over to North Van and a nice Market and food court on the pier.

Cadero's is great but noisy if busy.

We are flying into Vancouver the day before we leave on our cruise, we are staying at the Vancouver Downtown Holiday Inn on Howe Street, and we are looking for some good restaurants, how is the food at Joe Fortes the Sandbar, Cardero's and Hy's Encore? Or do you have any other favorite spots.

Mary

We are flying into Vancouver the day before we leave on our cruise, we are staying at the Vancouver Downtown Holiday Inn on Howe Street, and we are looking for some good restaurants, how is the food at Joe Fortes the Sandbar, Cardero's and Hy's Encore? Or do you have any other favorite spots.

Mary

Those are good and really run the gamut here for tastes. Rain City grill is great,, but a wee bit pricey for some North West cuisine. Will beat your cruise meals but like I said $$$$ and there are a lot of other really high enders too with named chefs.

This restaurant looks really nice, my SO and I both do not eat fish but do enjoy chicken and beef. Do you think we should look elsewhere for a restaurant or would this still be a good choice. I would like to eat on the water, a nice birthday treat! Thanks!

This restaurant looks really nice, my SO and I both do not eat fish but do enjoy chicken and beef. Do you think we should look elsewhere for a restaurant or would this still be a good choice. I would like to eat on the water, a nice birthday treat! Thanks!

Like I said above a great restaurant but can be noisey when busy

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/menus_dinner.html

Archived