Update on Crown Princess Pelicans and 'Mary', plus Kid Pools

helenb

We got off the Crown Princess with our two children (ages 4 and 6) earlier this week. I had heard a lot of negative things about the Princess Pelicans program, and the Youth Staff member named 'Mary' in particular, so I wanted to update with our experience.

There IS a Youth Staff working with the Pelicans, whose name is Mary, but she did not appear to man the desk. We barely heard from her, and I only saw her at the check in/out area a couple of times. My son even said that he liked playing with her.

We used the Kids Club a lot (not all the time, but the kids went for at least 2 sessions every sea day, and every night on port days) and only got paged once. That page was because my son had a nose bleed. I feel that this is an acceptable reason for paging. My friend who was cruising with us got paged once, when her son (age 7) was having a severe tantrum and could easily be heard screaming in the background when she called to check up on the page. Again, this happened ONCE.

So, it appears (to me) that the issues of excessive paging have been resolved.

The activities were primarily arts and crafts related, but the kids had a disco one night. Every night was a theme night, and the kids enjoyed these especially.

There is a wonderful splash pool (and tricycle track w/tricycles, playhouse and basketball hoop) for the younger set behind the Kids Club, but parents must accompany children there. The splash pool does NOT allow diapers (and a big sign declared this) yet I saw parents on multiple occasions violating this rule.

There is also a parents and kids pool. It is next to the splash pool, and is roughly the size of two hot tubs (i.e. NOT big). When people used this properly, it was great. But a number of adults discovered this pool and came to use it since it was 'uncrowded'. I can't tell you how many times I got glared at by older people wanting to use that pool, even though the big sign proclaims it for parent and child use ONLY.

The same applied to the teen hot tub next to the parent/child pool. I saw people much too old to be teens in there, much of the time. I think Princess needs to enforce the proper use of these pools with a Youth Security officer being there during daytime hours (at least on sea days). But it's definitely a step in the right direction, and we made frequent use of these areas.

I'm happy to answer any questions people have.

Thank you for posting! We will be on the Crown in December, but I'm anxious to know more about the kids' areas--particularly the pool/spalsh zone. Our 3 y/o will be the one using the areas the most. I had posted a while ago, asking if anyone had pictures of the kids splash area...do you have any that you would not mind sharing?

I already know our son probably won't enjoy the Pelicans. Although, I think we will give it a shot, but if we get paged once, we're done. He's not an Arts and Crafts type...he likes action.

As for older adults w/out kids using the kiddie areas...I guess I think of it like the handicapped bathrooms...if all the other places are full, and this one is empty, why not use it? But you have to give it up and don't complain when teens/kids come use it! If anyone glares, just say "Oh, it's so refreshing to see other people enjoying the kiddies play areas!" (Either that, or creepy....):eek:

I did take lots of pictures, but unfortunately they're on the camera, which is with my husband (he's not back yet).

If you post again in a couple of days, to remind me, I'll post some links. If you'd like, I can post the Pelican Activities list as well.

Hi..thanks for the pictures...we will be traveling on the Crown in Feb 08 with 2 yr. old...is there any sitting available for his age...just got off Carnival on Saturday and the late night sitting was great for husband and I to have some fun...he would get there in pj's and fall asleep within 10 min in pack and play...slept better on the ship than at home:)

The trike belongs to Princess. There are three of them in that area. There is also a small basketball hoop and a Little Tikes playhouse.

There is no in-cabin babysitting, but there is late-night sitting in the Kids Club for $5 per child per hour. You have to pre-register. I don't think they take kids under 3, though.

Archived