Crazy Question-Staying in a Port of Call????

alyoop11

Hi all- this may be absurd but I remember reading somewhere that Costa Cruise line lets passengers board their cruises at various ports of call--not necessarily the initial port of embarkation. I wanted to know if this was actually true, and if it could be done in reverse. More specifically, for a greek isles/turkey cruise in June 2008 (Rome roundtrip), would it be possible for my husband and I to disembark and stay in Santorini, the last port of call before returning to Rome? Again this may be silly, but it would make our vacation plans a lot easier! If it IS possible, let me know how I should go about it! Thanks!!

On my Magica cruise a couple of years ago there were people who got off at certain ports, (Barcelona, Malta, Rome and Savonna were the boarding points I think) stayed for a week and got back on and completed their cruise when the ship called again. These were Europeans who boarded in their Home port I'm sure but I don't know how they went about it - through an agent or direct with Costa. There is no harm in asking them though - sounds like a great idea to me! Let us know how you get on.

I asked a similar question of Costa re getting on / off mid-cruise in Madeira and was told no. For an off season sailing on partly full ships this would seem an ideal way to combine a sea and land holiday and reduce the number of flights one would need to take. May be if enough people ask Costa may see sense. Although it may not say it in the brochure you can often get on/off at different ports such as Rome and Savona if the cruise goes to both - again you need to ask what is possible.

DJ.

i dunno about staying a week and catching the boat to finish the cruise as that would mess up reservations/cabin bookings. unless you booked both cruises.

my input stems from the mirrored situation, being left in a port of call. when that happens you're on your own to find a flight to get you to the next port of call and hop back on the boat. if they allow you to do that, i don't see any reason you could 'purposely' miss the boat and then just catch up with them later.

can you explain your plans a little more? i'm perplexed as to what you want to do and why it's better...thx

i guess if you want to get off at the last port of call before returning to the home port nothing can stop you. provided you already paid them the full cruise fare, you'll be loosing out on one more cruise day. but if you dont care i'm sure you can get off. just tell them you want to get off with your luggage. you're dissatisfied or whatever. they put off unruly passengers some times at various ports so i dont see why you can't do it yourself if it suits you.

Archived