Playa Mia - For the family

yimyim

I would really feel more comfortable sticking with a Carnival excrsion for our cruise. With that said, I am having a hard time finding something our entire family would enjoy.

I was looking at Playa Mia as there seemed to be plenty for our younger children (age 9) and the non watersport equipment for the older (16 and 17) boys to enjoy. As well as open bar for mom and dad.

What are your experiences with this place? Particularly with the claimed included "kayaks, hobiecats, pedal boats, water trampolines, and “water iceberg” ... are there enough to go around?

Is the water clear and blue here and clean????

I am open to other suggestions. Thanks :D

I've never been to Playa Mia, so can't help there. But I have been to Paradise Beach and I think that, along with San Francisco Beach right next door, probably has everything you're looking for.

PB has lots of non-motorized stuff like the water trampoline, snorkeling, iceburg, etc, plus great food and service. Then SF has all the motorized stuff like jet skis, parasailing, etc. They're on the exact same beach and their building almost touch each other, so it's no problem going back and forth. PB has great food and drinks too, at reasonable prices. At SF you can even go all-inclusive if you want.

The water there is normally VERY clear. Wonderful atmosphere for families.

Honestly, Cozumel is probably one of the safest places to NOT take a ship excursion. You're more than likely in port for a long time and there are taxis everywhere to take you back to the ship. PB always has two or 3 waiting to take people back.

Why give Carnival even more money when you don't need to? I could understand it if port times were very tight and you were going a long way from the ship on an excursion, but neither is the case here. PB is about a 10 minute cab ride from the pier.

Anyway, my 2 cents. :)

We actually went to Play Mia our first cruise. This is where the Party Boat takes this group. The beach is very crowded, and not really a good place for young children. This time we went to Isle of Passion, and it was awesome. Nachi Com is also suppose to be very good, although you have to reserve with them in advance--it is not ship excursion. This was the best we have seen of Cozumel. Others in our group took the beach buggy tour and said it was also very good.

Our first trip to Cozumel we booked Passion Island because you can only due that excursion on a cruise. I have been back many times and always book something on my own. It is so much cheaper and more personalized. I agree, it is incredibly easy to get around and very safe. A number of the beaches all have the same amenities for a $14 cab ride for the entire family and a $5 - 8 wristband per person. Why pay around $50 a person for the same experience that can be had for $50 a family. There are cabs galore outside of every beach. As far as tours they always get you back on time because these people have a reputation to uphold and we are their income. Seriously, do a little research and ask here and you'll find something that will be just as good if not better then what the cruise offers and with a lot less waiting in line.

I would really feel more comfortable sticking with a Carnival excrsion for our cruise. With that said, I am having a hard time finding something our entire family would enjoy.

I was looking at Playa Mia as there seemed to be plenty for our younger children (age 9) and the non watersport equipment for the older (16 and 17) boys to enjoy. As well as open bar for mom and dad.

What are your experiences with this place? Particularly with the claimed included "kayaks, hobiecats, pedal boats, water trampolines, and “water iceberg” ... are there enough to go around?

We took our 5 children here in 2005 on our cruise, we did it on our own and not through Carnival and it was alot cheaper you can get there earlier and beat all the crowds and really enjoy yourselves. The kids had a blast and still talk about it today our 5 kids ranged in ages back then from 11, 14, 16, 19, 20) there were plenty of toys and was nice for everyone to eat and drink what they wanted and when they wanted, plenty of non-alcoholic drinks for the kids to choose from too.

Taxi was about 14-20 for our entire group to get there in a van depending which pier you are at. We went directly to Playa Mia as soon as we got off the boat and had the place to ourselves. They have a website we went to the place and paid them directly and they did accept credit cards, they even have what they call a "little zoo" the kids enjoyed seeing some animals that were there.

http://www.playamia.com/#

Now it's been a few years since I've done playa mia. good is everything is included from memory, drinks food, chairs and non motorized sports, inflatable rafts and an igloo thingy. Bad was a small sloping beach, no pool and murky water, iffy bathrooms. Really bad, they tried serving my 12 year old beer, then after she said no gave her a frozen drink with alcohol. a party boat unloaded a group (50 or more people) onto this beach and there were plenty of trashed teens around the beach. Some people might not notice if your having a great time, but we're relaxing beach people who enjoy a bit of harmless people watching, who then kept their teens right at their sides;)

Nachi cocum I believe is just a few more minutes down the same road, great price for all inclusive, pool, jacuzzi, swim up bar, lounge chairs and service, although slow out to your chairs, water murky bathrooms slightly better than iffy.

at the time we loved both places (just thought we were ignorant not to watch the teens closely in playa mia, liked nachi cocum better. Just walk out the shopping area to the taxis and the cabbies know were these places are, negotiate your $$ ahead of time, both places are large with taxis waiting to retun you when your ready.

Again, both were a bit ago, things could have changed we were just a bit naive going into playa mia, and agree that we would still enjoy it again, just position ourselves away from the pier and watch the kids well. either is really a good choice.

My neice (16) and I (28 at the time) went to Playa Mia Beach last year in April...We had a blast! We split cab fare with another couple. $15 total. It was not crowded at all. The party boat did unload at some point but it still was not a wild sceyne. There was a pool, Clean restrooms and showers, nice little eating facility and just a nice overall accomidations!

I know you say you'd be more comfortable but trust me with everything you just mentioned Paradise Beach has all of that and more. It's really a great place and there will be at least 7 other families or couples from your ship.

And it's free to get in, you can't beat that and it wasn't crowded at all and the food was really good

I know how daunting a first trip to Cozumel can be...but rest easy..this is a great port.

We were there in October, December, March and are headed back in August.

(yes, we love this port)

We always go to Paradise Beach. There is no entry fee. You just walk up and pick out a lounge chair.

The lounge chair, tables, umbrellas, CLEAN restroons and changing rooms are all free. They simply expect you to eat/drink $10 per person for the day. There is an optional wristband that you can buy for $9 for the entire day that will let you use the nonmotorized toys. (kayaks, 2 water trampolines, an iceberg, snorkeling equipment, floats and life vests for weak or young swimmers) Some of the equipment require a deposit but you get it back when you return the equipment. When our family of 4 goes, the 2 boys get the wristbands but hubby and I do not.

They take cash or credit cards.

Taxis are $12-14 one way for a family of four. They take cash only.

There are more taxis than sand...so don't worry about getting one back to the ship.

Tom is from Canada. He is the Manager and is a super guy. He and his staff do an excellent job.

Paradise Beach also has a multitude of indepedent vendors who offer everything from parasailing, jet skis, banana boats to hair braiding and massages on the beach. The massages are $1 a minute with a 20 minute minimum. You can even climb a coconut tree!!

Food and drinks are all very safe at all the resorts.

Usually what we do it hit Paradise Beach first thing off the ship. We spend several hours and then head back to the ship. The boys (19 and 16) stay on the ship while we walk about the shops at the pier (because they hate to shop).

Nachi Cocum is nice if it is adults only. It is $49.00 per person all inclusive.

The taxi ride is about $15 one way. (for 4 people)

Playa Mia has more of a "party reputation" but as usual that depends on the crowd.

None of the resorts are within walking distance.

Have a great cruise and a wonderful day in Cozumel. You will love it!!

Archived