World Cruisers - does Cunard secure VISAS for you?

WestchesterCruiseFan

No you have to do it yourself. I think they do have a reccommended agent who can do it but they do not do it themselves.

However you will need to do further research. Some countries which you visit on your cruise may usually require visas but if you are arriving on a cruise ship then they waive this requirement. Cunard should have the details.

If they are still doing it the way they did in 2006, when you get the voyage package after final payment Cunard includes visa apllication forms and recommends a particular visa procuring agency. All of the fees are also mentioned. The scary item is the need to send your passport along with the applications. Not a problem in former days as a replacement passport was easily come by should the postal service or the procurer take a side trip with the passport. However with the huge backlog in passport offices getting a prelcement could be dicey. The only alternative is to show up in person at the embassy or counsul office near you for each country requiring visa and ask for a rush visa while you wait. There is an extra fee for express service but you will save the procuring companiy's fee so it might come out in the wash. of course most of us are no where near all of these embassies or counsul offices so sending the original away is the only thing left to do.

Most countries require a close to arrival date on the visa so one needs to be sure not to apply too early or the visa will not be valid. tricky thing here is to count backwards from the date you arrive in that coiuntry not from the date of sailing from either New York or Southampton.

Based on many years of obtaining visas for myself and staff for business travel to countries requiring visas, I strongly recommend using a visa service, either the one recommended by Cunard or by your travel agent if TA is experienced in travel to the third world. It's well worth the fees.

Since my retirement I've only needed visas a couple of times while cruising (Brazil and Russia), and the services recommended by Celebrity and Cunard handled it very efficiently.

I also worry a bit about entrusting my passport to the Postal Service. I normally use Certified Mail, as you can track the item on the USPS website, daily if you want to.

I believe that you can also use FedEx with most of the visa services. Obviously, the service will charge extra for this.

Archived